Skip to content

ToTL: Castle Maluradek questions...

Hi, please can you spoil me on the following for the Enhanced Edition:

* Can anyone kill the Spectral Cook on the ground floor before he runs away? Is there a reward for doing this?
* At some point in your progress through the castle in the original version, Hobart disappears, which is really annoying because I'd like to sell all the junk I've found from the castle. He is definitely gone by the time you defeat the Luremaster (why can't he hang around for a while to buy our loot?). Is this also the case in the Enhanced Edition, if so, at what point does he disappear?

Thanks!

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    * No, there is no reward for killing the Spectral Cook.

* I'm not sure about the pre-enhanced game, but in the enhanced edition the only scripted way Hobart can disappear is if you kill the Luremaster.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited January 2019
    * Yes, the Cook and Courtiers have a lot of hit points which makes them hard to defeat, probably the best way is turning them with a high level cleric I've learned. They don't offer any XP/gold rewards though.

* I've learnt that when you pull the lever on the dungeon level 3 there's no turning back to Hobart, so this is the point where I should finish trading with him I think, if he's gone once the Luremaster is defeated...Thanks!
  • IamdorfIamdorf Member Posts: 60
    The reason Hobart is gone once you kill the Luremaster is because he is the Luremaster.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    if im not mistaken, you find a bag of holding from one of the enemies before you actually go inside the castle and i think hobart sells another one, so you should have plenty of bag of holding space for the entire luremaster section

plus i want to say it was insinuated that he was the rakshasa in disguise, because after that fight he never seems to be there so, i usually just whack before i get to that point because he wears a gauntlets of dexterity as well, very good item for those low dex clerics who have been drinking those +2/+1 WIS potions

and realistically the only real super good items hobart has for sale are his potions of extra healing ( which he has infinite of lol ) and the bag of holding, he sells some other interesting items, but as far as i can recall i've never used them...?
    He’s definitely not the rakshasa any more in the EE version...because he’s still there now after the rakshasa are dealt with (I was curious about this too and checked on my last time through :) )

I think it’s likely he just makes a quick getaway once the Luremaster is defeated, and he’s no longer trapped at the castle. I would’ve liked a sort of showdown with him becuase he’s not a particularly nice guy.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    You can press a confession out of Hobart after the way into the castle is open. It explains his reasons for being there (and also why he is so rude to you).

Fun fact: All the named characters you're killing during the adventure will turn into one of the spectral heroes you have to fight when you encounter the Luremaster in the final battle (which includes Hobart, Harald and this unfriendly trio of adventurers). Unfortunately you can only really notice it in a resource editor, since all of them are just named "Spectral Hero".
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    argent77 wrote: »
    You can press a confession out of Hobart after the way into the castle is open. It explains his reasons for being there (and also why he is so rude to you).

Fun fact: All the named characters you're killing during the adventure will turn into one of the spectral heroes you have to fight when you encounter the Luremaster in the final battle (which includes Hobart, Harald and this unfriendly trio of adventurers). Unfortunately you can only really notice it in a resource editor, since all of them are just named "Spectral Hero".

but you know who they are when you fight them, when i fought the lure master, i was like; oh, those are the dudes i whacked earlier in spectral form, lolz
    Spectral Hobarts and Haralds appear even if they weren't killed by the party (they did on my run, and I never kill them) - maybe they were somehow killed offstage in the interim? We may never know the answer o_o