Skip to content

Critique my Sorcerer Spell List

Can anyone who's good with sorcerers give me some feedback on this spell list?

I'm going to play un-modded on Core difficulty, for a trilogy run, with a party.

I'm not sure which NPCs to take yet, so I want the sorcerer to be somewhat self-sufficient, even though within a party.

Thanks!

---

Level 1

Magic Missile
Identify
Shield
Blindness
Spook

Level 2

Mirror Image
Glitterdust
Blur
Web
Melf’s Acid Arrow

Level 3

Haste
Melf's Minute Meteors
Remove Magic
Skull Trap
Protection from Fire

Level 4

Greater Malison
Stoneskin
Spirit Armor
Minor Sequencer
Fireshield Red

Level 5

Breach
Cloudkill
Spell Immunity
Spell Shield
Lower Resistance

Level 6

Death Spell
Improved Haste
Protection from Magical Weapons
Contingency
True Sight

Level 7

Ruby Ray of Reversal
Mass Invisibility
Mordy Sword
Project Image
Spell Sequencer

Level 8

Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting
Incendiary cloud
Pierce Shield
Spell Trigger

Level 9

Chain Contingency
Time Stop
Imprisonment
Shapechange
SkatanFlashburn

Comments

• AnomalyAnomaly Member Posts: 62
    Level 1 : Good for me.
    Level 2 : Blur is useless. Better to pick Invisibility, it has many uses (escape, surprise attack, on a thief to remove traps while unseen...)
    Level 3 : Dispel Magic would be perhaps more useful than Remove Magic, especially since you consider picking Contingency at level 6.
    Level 4 : Spirit Armor seems a poor choice. Consider Improved Invisibility or Minor Glove of Invulnerability instead.
    Level 5 : Good for me.
    Level 6 : Good for me.
    Level 7 : Good for me.
    Level 8 : Consider Power Word : blindness instead of Incendiary Cloud, even if it -is- a good spell.
    Level 9 : Good for me.
    alastair93
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Remove Magic is definitely preferable to Dispel Magic, no issue there.

Improved Invisibility is the big miss at level 4, way better than Spirit Armour, Minor Sequencer or FS Red.

I would also try to get Flame Arrow at level 3 instead of Protection from Fire.

Otherwise looks spot on.
    alastair93
  • alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    Anomaly wrote: »
    Level 1 : Good for me.
    Level 2 : Blur is useless. Better to pick Invisibility, it has many uses (escape, surprise attack, on a thief to remove traps while unseen...)
    Level 3 : Dispel Magic would be perhaps more useful than Remove Magic, especially since you consider picking Contingency at level 6.
    Level 4 : Spirit Armor seems a poor choice. Consider Improved Invisibility or Minor Glove of Invulnerability instead.
    Level 5 : Good for me.
    Level 6 : Good for me.
    Level 7 : Good for me.
    Level 8 : Consider Power Word : blindness instead of Incendiary Cloud, even if it -is- a good spell.
    Level 9 : Good for me.

Thanks for reading!

Blur and Spirit Armor were mainly for the save bonuses against some of the more disabling effects like confusion.

Invisibility will hopefully be granted by Staff of the Magi and pots. Do you think I should still change?

Re Level 8, I was thinking maybe switching Incendiary Cloud for Simulacrum, but unsure. Some people say Simulacrum is over-rated, and my list already has cloud spells. Is PW:Blindness pretty good?
    Remove Magic is definitely preferable to Dispel Magic, no issue there.

Improved Invisibility is the big miss at level 4, way better than Spirit Armour, Minor Sequencer or FS Red.

I would also try to get Flame Arrow at level 3 instead of Protection from Fire.

Otherwise looks spot on.

Yeah Improved Invisibility is great, but I was hoping that Mass Invisibility would provide for the improved invisibilities for the whole party. Is it still worth having at Level 4? I guess Level 7 takes a while to reach doesn't it?

I'll look into Flame Arrow, I guess Protection from Fire can come from items.

What I'm unsure about is Level 8. Should I get Simulacrum in there somewhere?

Also - I used your guide as part of my research in making this list. It's superb! Thanks for making it.
  • AnomalyAnomaly Member Posts: 62
    Indeed Flame Arrow would be far better than Protection From Fire, I missed this anomaly.

About invisibility and staff of magi... you said you planned to play a trilogy. Invisibility will be needed far before you can get this staff (end of SOA). Besides you can cast it on someone else (i.e. thief, or a warrior to prepare an ambush), something you cannot do with the Staff. But after all it's up to you if you consider this kind of strategy.

Keep Minor Sequencer. The three type of sequencers can be cast at the same time. Even if it is far less useful than the two others, it is still good to have (try resisting instant casting of 2* Web).
    alastair93
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    I try to pick only spells that will remain useful at mid to high levels. My suggestions:

Level 1 - Would replace blindness with chromatic orb.
    Level 2 - Resist fear is an underrated choice at this level but it isn't quite strong enough to bump any of your choices from the list.
    Level 3 - Would replace protection from fire with flame arrow, for situations where a precision strike is appropriate.
    Level 4 - Would replace spirit armor with emotion hopelessness.
    Level 5 - Feeblemind is an underrated choice at this level but it isn't quite strong enough to bump any of your choices from the list.
    Level 6 - Depending on your playstyle, could consider replacing improved haste with mislead.
    Level 7 - Depending on your wisdom, could consider replacing ruby ray of reversal with limited wish.
    Level 8 - Simulacrum is an underrated choice at this level but it isn't quite strong enough to bump any of your choices from the list (plus, you already have project image).
    Level 9 - Could consider replacing shapechange with spell trap.

alastair93
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited February 2019
    I don't understand why everybody's sorcerer spell lists include identify. It's useless in a party where somebody else can cast it or somebody has high lore. It can save you a few gold pieces and it's a useful spell, but not for a sorcerer! I'd take Chromatic Orb or Protection from Evil myself...
    alastair93
    Thanks for replies guys. I've decided to switch Protection from Fire to Flame Arrow, and Blur to Invisibility.

One thing I've realised, though, is that I don't have any protection from spells! That is, until I either get the Spell Trap from Staff of Magi, or Spell Turning from Book of Spells.

Should I swap out Mass Invisibility for Spell Turning? And then swap Spirit Armor for Improved Invisibility? I love Mass Invisibility though!

Any suggestions?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    Okay, I will comment again and if anyone has an issue with it I will stop.

1) I like what you have. There are not many must haves at this level so Identify is not a bad pick. I like Blindness over Chromatic Orb.
    2) Invisibility is better than Blur I believe in a party. I have saved many party members from getting killed to death while running around in horror, stunned and other things like that.
    3) I like Slow over Pro Fire here. I solo mostly but when I run in a party I prefer Slow over Flame Arrow.
    4) I would not use Fire Shield or Spirit Armor in a party. I think that I would pick Emotion Hopelessness and Improved Invisibility instead.
    5) I like except for Cloudkill. Solo I would say Sunfire but I don’t know what I would use in a party.
    6) I would take Invisible Stalker over Contingency in a party. Contingency is kinda iffy sometimes, can only target yourself and as someone pointed out to me recently Invisible Stalkers work well against Mind Flayers.
    7) If you take II at lever 4 I would skip Mass Invisibility. I like Delayed Blast Fireball here but I may be the only one. I like aoe spells to take out a lot of the casters in the game, this one even takes out liches.
    The rest I like.
    gorgonzolaalastair93
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Okay, I will comment again and if anyone has an issue with it I will stop.

1) I like what you have. There are not many must haves at this level so Identify is not a bad pick. I like Blindness over Chromatic Orb.
    2) Invisibility is better than Blur I believe in a party. I have saved many party members from getting killed to death while running around in horror, stunned and other things like that.
    3) I like Slow over Pro Fire here. I solo mostly but when I run in a party I prefer Slow over Flame Arrow.
    4) I would not use Fire Shield or Spirit Armor in a party. I think that I would pick Emotion Hopelessness and Improved Invisibility instead.
    5) I like except for Cloudkill. Solo I would say Sunfire but I don’t know what I would use in a party.
    6) I would take Invisible Stalker over Contingency in a party. Contingency is kinda iffy sometimes, can only target yourself and as someone pointed out to me recently Invisible Stalkers work well against Mind Flayers.
    7) If you take II at lever 4 I would skip Mass Invisibility. I like Delayed Blast Fireball here but I may be the only one. I like aoe spells to take out a lot of the casters in the game, this one even takes out liches.
    The rest I like.

You're definitely not the only one who likes Delayed Blast Fireball. There are times they work awesome as traps/ambushes. You just have to be careful not to set them off yourself by accident (similar to Skull Trap actually). In fact using invisibility with both DBF and Skull Trap, you're almost as good a bounty hunter if you play it right...
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    I don't understand why everybody's sorcerer spell lists include identify. It's useless in a party where somebody else can cast it or somebody has high lore. It can save you a few gold pieces and it's a useful spell, but not for a sorcerer! I'd take Chromatic Orb or Protection from Evil myself...

EVERY single sorcerer i have ever made has indentify hahaha, and i've played these games literally 1000s of times, i just find it convenient if a sorcerer has it, yes other could cast it, but then they have to waste level 1 spell slots to do so

and there is the googles of identify in SoA but even then, if someone else has a high lore, then your sorcerer can quickly identify the super high lore items that your team mates can't identify without having to have an extra item in your inventory clogging up the place

in my most humble of opinions, as long as you have magic missile and blindness ( and find familiar if your sorcerer is your main charname ) then the other 2 spells you choose for level 1 really don't matter
    JLee
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    in my most humble of opinions, as long as you have magic missile and blindness ( and find familiar if your sorcerer is your main charname ) then the other 2 spells you choose for level 1 really don't matter

A spell you can only cast once is the exact opposite of a sorcerer's strengths. That's probably the only spell I'd NEVER take as a Sorc and just cast from a scroll.
    gorgonzola
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Assuming that you've got a scroll. By the time one of those is available in BG1, the most dangerous part of your journeys is arguably already over ...
    [Deleted User]
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Imo a sorcerer without wish is not a real one.
    alastair93
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    The following should gear you toward solo survival but also lets you help out a party.

1) Replace Identify with Grease. Grease will save your bacon early on against melee fighters and even later if you choose Greater Malison. If they fail the save, they'll never even have time to get in range, so you can just pelt them with missiles from afar. Combine with Web in a minor sequencer to force whole groups to stay put. Very useful in SoD for that reason.

2) Swap Glitterdust with Detect Invisibility. You cannot rely on the enemy failing a save to remove its invisibility using Glitterdust, especially if they're Improved invisible. The blindness on that spell is just gravy.

3) Replace Melf's Meteors with Protection from Fire, and Remove Magic with Dispel Magic. The meteors are nice, but fire is easily the most common elemental damage source in both games. Not having it just seems like a bad idea since it lasts so long, too. Since you're playing in a party, you may want Dispel Magic in case a party member suffers a lethal status effect so you can use it to save them.

4) Replace Fireshield (Red) and Spirit Armor with Improved Invisibility (or Farsight) and Polymorph Other. Polymorph Other is seriously underrated. If they fail the save, it's basically an instant-death spell! You can use it against all kinds of tough foes, like Sarevok and the assorted dragons. You can replace Improved Invisibility with Farsight if you want to focus more on Project Image shenanigans since you'll get Mass Invisibility later. You can use Farsight to let your Projected Image clone raise hell by itself while safe in a different location.

5) Replace Cloudkill with Animate Dead or Chaos. You can find Cloudkill wands in BG2 and Animate Dead or Chaos are more useful because of this.

6) Level 6 is fine. Death Spell can be awesome.

7) Level 7 is fine, but I find Power Word Stun to be useful because of its rather high HP threshold. Good for disabling mages you can catch by surprise or after stripping their spell protections after using Improved Alacrity since they invariably have piddly HP.

8) Level 8 is fine too.

9) Since you're playing vanilla, I might suggest replacing Chain Contingency with Spellstrike. It's been a long time since I've played without SCS, but I don't think vanilla mages tend to use Spell Shield much, so Spellstrike should render them totally vulnerable to your next spells.
    Grond0StummvonBordwehralastair93gorgonzola
    Flashburn wrote: »
    The following should gear you toward solo survival but also lets you help out a party.

3) Replace Melf's Meteors with Protection from Fire, and Remove Magic with Dispel Magic. The meteors are nice, but fire is easily the most common elemental damage source in both games. Not having it just seems like a bad idea since it lasts so long, too. Since you're playing in a party, you may want Dispel Magic in case a party member suffers a lethal status effect so you can use it to save them.

Finally someone who likes Protection from Fire!

You make a good point regarding Cloudkill, I'll stick to the wands.

Polymorph Other is a spell I've never really considered, it always seemed more of a novelty. I'll have to look into it. I always assumed most things would be immune to it.
    Flashburngorgonzola
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    Imo a sorcerer without wish is not a real one.

my sorcerer only has 10 WIS so no wish for her hahaha
    gorgonzola
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    alastair93 wrote: »
    Flashburn wrote: »

Polymorph Other is a spell I've never really considered, it always seemed more of a novelty. I'll have to look into it. I always assumed most things would be immune to it.
    Considering how early you can get it as a sorcerer, you can use it against most everything you could consider tough at that stage of the saga. For example:
    -The Greater Wolfwere, Kaishas Gann, and Mendas, followed by a stab from Werebane for an easy kill.
    -The Warders of Durlag's Tower
    -The Demon Knight
    -Aec'Letec
    -Sarevok and co.
    -Rival adventuring parties in BG2
    -Every dragon in BG2 except Draconis and Abazigal
    Obviously it won't be of much help in the boss fights of ToB, but you can still get some serious mileage out of it until that point.

Greater Malison ensures better success rates, while Lower Resistance/Pierce Shield will have to be used against magic resistant targets. Polymorph Other is a save-or-nothing-happens spell, and it's a save vs. Polymorph. Creatures generally have better saves vs. Poly by 1 or 2 points than they do vs. spell (which is generally their worst save), but it still renders the target completely harmless if it succeeds, especially against something that has tons of HP or other annoying defenses. I think that's pretty awesome for just a level 4 spell.
    StummvonBordwehrGrond0alastair93gorgonzola
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    edited February 2019
    Tier 1:

Looks pretty good. Only recommendation would be to use Chromatic Orb over Blindness. Since you have Glitterdust as a tier 2 Blindness as a tier 1 is more or less redundant. Chromatic Orb improves as your Sorc does and eventually 1 hit kills (with save) enemy targets. I highly recommend Chromatic Orb.

Tier 2:

Pretty Solid across the board. If you wanted to use a "thief light" party knock would've been a decent pick over Melf's Acid arrow but in a full party it may prove to be a wasted slot unless you want your thieves more combat oriented and invest points in Set Traps, Hide in Shadows, Detect Invisibility, and/or Move Silently. Otherwise knock isn't really that important.

Tier 3:

Ooof! Not looking good. Sorc casts better versions of haste later on and with end game special abilities it becomes more or less useless in TOB. Instead of haste I recommend Slow instead. Slow is universally effective across the trilogy with no drawbacks as it's party friendly.

Melf's Minute Meteors are terrible on Sorc as their THAC0 is too low to make great use of the spell. Protection from Fire is bad flat out since potions and scrolls can be bought that do the same thing. Plus in a party your Clerics will have access to the spell. Skull Trap is THE BEST tier 3 and Remove Magic is fairly close behind.

Recommendations:
    Flame Arrow- Increases in power as Sorc does and it annhilates trolls/werewolves.

Invisibility `10 Foot Radius- Absolutely incredibly spell. It allows your entire party to camoflauge under invisibility. Can be extremely when navigating dungeons, by-passing unwanted battles, setting up buffs in advance, setting up backstabs for thief NPCs, setting up first strikes with damage bonus, escaping danger, etc. The only drawback is if you cast it too closely to an enemy it'll go invisible as well! This spell is great up until ToB where all invisibility more or less becomes useless for concealing.

Honorable Mention:

Spell Thrust- This spell marks the beginning of anti-mage defense. Fairly decent against low level mages though a few stronger spells are available for this purpose later on.

Tier 4:

Greater Malison and Stoneskin are the only "must haves" in this tier. Everything else is up to personal taste and future playstyle. Minor Globe is up their in importance and probably a better choice than Spirit Armour when it comes to Sorc defense but it's a matter of preference. Improved Invisibility may also be better than Spirit Armour for Sorc since it increases Saving throws while making it more difficult to target through melee.

Fireshield Red is useful for the 50% resistance against fire but if you the spell's damaging effect to be more useful I'd recommend Blue over Red since there are less enemies overall with Cold resistance than Fire meaning more damage to them when they hit making Blue more effective for this purpose. Minor Sequencer is okay though better ones are available later.

One in particular that I'll cover later. Spirit Armour is good if you use chars weak on armour like multiple thieves, etc but you probably shouldn't frontline a thief in the first place. If anything Spirit Armour is more for Fighter/Mages than Mages.

Combination Suggestions-

Polymorph Self is an excellent spell that allows Sorc to morph into one of various creatures. Along with "Web and Minor Sequencer" a Sorc can store webs in the sequencer, shape change to spider then unleash a flurry of webs on unsuspecting enemies and feast on them while they're immobile.

Emotion: Hopelessness- Excellent in combination with Greater Malison as Greater Malison increases the chances of every save oriented spell to hit. It's like an advanced version of "sleep" that boosts party morale.

Tier 5:

Breach, Spell Immunitiy, and Lower Resistance are non-negotiable. Everything else is just a matter of personal taste. After these three Confusion could be fairly decent but it's far from important.

Tier 6:

The spell list you have here is good unfortunately not really in conjunction with the spells you have in the lower tiers. Death Spell is good for controlling the board. Contingency is redundant with Minor Sequencer here the Globe of Invulnerabilty would serve better since at tier for the Minor Globe was overlooked. Improved haste is okay here but redundant since the Sorc already has tier 3 haste.

Protection from Magical Weapons on a Sorc is useless. It's not fighting hand to hand in combat so there's really no value in it unless you use it alongside Tenser's Transformation. However, do you really want a spellcaster to melee like a fighter or would you rather have a fighter serve that purpose? Prot. From Magical Weapons is more for Fighter/Mage than Mage as is Tenser's Tranformation. Protection from Magical Energy is infinitely more valuable. With it when cast on your Sorc with stonekin defense your Sorc can literally walk up to enemies and release barrages of Skull Traps receiving no damage! Same thing can be done with both Globe of Invulnerability and Minor Globe. True Sight is good.

Tier 7:

Mass Invisibility is great for all the reasons Invisibility in a '10 foot Radius is good but better since it offers a saving throw bonus while making the party generally more difficult to hit.

Ruby Ray, Mord's Sword, and Project Image are decent though Project Image isn't as great without the Tier 4 spell Wizard Eye.

Spell Sequencer is redundant as the Sorc already has Minor Sequencer and Contingency at this point. A defensive spell like Spell Turning would have more of an impact.

Honorable Mentions:

Limited Wish- Remarkably versatile if your Sorc has high Intelligence and Wisdom.

Power Word Stun- Stops enemies cold. Good in concert with greater malison but party hostile.

Tier 8:

Horrid Wilting is all that matters. The rest is a matter of taste and personal preference. Spell Trigger for this tier is more or less the best sequencer in the game and best acquired here than any other tier. Other than that I have nothing to add.

Tier 9:

Up to personal, preference.
    alastair93Gusindagorgonzola
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited February 2019
    Several people have mentioned MMM being a subpar spell. While it's true that MMM's damage isn't high, the meteors can hit a fair number of enemies that are immune to most weapons, making it a situationally useful spell for most of the game.
    Post edited by jsaving on
    alastair93
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I’d look at Protection from Evil ahead of Shield... the Shield Amulet is a fairly easy get, and PfE has some nice applications when enemy casters call in big, nasty fiends.
    alastair93
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    edited February 2019
    For a sorc, I strongly feel the trifecta of annoyance, Web, Slow, and Chaos should all be taken and taken early. Any 1 of those is enough to pretty near clear BG1 alone.

Sleep is the most fun BG1 spell and is worth taking despite being total rubbish in SoA, but it should be taken ASAP or not bothered with. Its a huge boon for a solo sorc, maybe a bit less key in a party.

In BG1, there are plenty of situations where you will find Larloch's Minor Drain is a superior interrupter vs Magic Missile, though MM is probably good enough to get by.

Not taking MMM seems inane to me, its easily one of my favourite spells, and allows a pure caster to deal decent weapon damage, and the ability to do so over the course of multiple rounds. Very handy if you need a high enchantment to deal damage. Can be handy vs Golems I've found.

I like Animate Dead, but I like summons. Mordy Swords are probably the better choice, but I'd consider both.

Edit: Oh yeah, don't forget that your own Web's are spider friendly, so Summon Spider and a couple webs is nasty, nasty trick.
    Skatangorgonzola
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    DreadKhan wrote: »

In BG1, there are plenty of situations where you will find Larloch's Minor Drain is a superior interrupter vs Magic Missile, though MM is probably good enough to get by.

Agreed and I use it frequently, but for a sorc I'd rather meta this spell from my Bhaal Spawn powers than pick it as a spell.

StummvonBordwehrDreadKhan
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    Magic Missile is better against enemies with MR, since at least some of them usually get through.

Level 1: suggest dropping Identify. Easy to pick up glasses in BG 2, rely on high lore or a secondary caster. Chromatic Orb might be a good choice instead. Even sleep for starting out, though it becomes useless.
    Level 2: looks good to me. Blur could be swapped out maybe.
    Level 3: Haste and PfF can be dropped if you have any other supportive casters. Pick slow instead. Inv 10' is also good.
    Level 4: Spirit Armor -> Emotion.
    Level 5: Maybe switch Cloudkill for Chaos?
    Level 6: Looks fairly good.
    Level 7: Ok.
    Level 8: Maybe drop incendiary cloud for Simulacrum or even PfE.
    Level 9: if playing with SCS consider dropping Imprisonment for Spellstrike. Also suggest dropping Time Stop for Wish (when using Vecna & Amulet of Power then Improved Alacrity alone is usually preferable to Time Stop, to avoid having your buffs run out).

Finally, note that you are playing on having 5 different Level 7 spells. This means Level 31, which is just the ToB cap, which you generally do not reach when playing as a full party without mods that add more XP. You should also think about the order in which to get the spells. E.g. for Level 2 Web should probably be your first pick, not your fourth.
    Grond0Gusinda
    all this love for MMM and yet i never take it for my sorcerers, so interesting to hear how different people play there sorcerers :)
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    all this love for MMM and yet i never take it for my sorcerers, so interesting to hear how different people play there sorcerers :)

It hits as +5. So it works on Golems, Demi-liches, etc... with 5 attacks per round it is also an excellent interrupt and you can weave it in with your spell-casts. SCS spell-caster enemies are pretty good with MMMs and snipe your unprotected spellcasters.
    Grond0sarevok57