Skip to content

Audio Bazaar

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
edited August 2019 in General Modding
I was talking to some modders in my life, speaking about how hard it is to find someone who would be eager to voice a mod character. So I came up with an idea today: perhaps we could make a thread that would include samples from those that would be interested in voicing some characters. NPC or just some non-joinables...

If you are interested in leaving a sample, leave it here. I voiced enough characters in my life and maybe there are some skilled actors here who just need some space to post a file or two?

Don't be shy. I really hope that there will be at least few users who will post something. It could really help modders - both new ones and old ones.

Cheers everyone and thanks in advance!

LIST OF SUBMITTED FILES:

1. Male and few female lines by Rik_Kirtaniya
2. Additional male lines by Rik_Kirtaniya
3. Male, female and gender neutral lines and songs by jmaeq
4. More additional male lines by Rik_Kirtaniya
5. Male lines by ZaramMaldovar
6. More male lines by ZaramMaldovar

Post edited by LavaDelVortel on

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @ZaramMaldovar

Time to shine.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    I have a friend irl that has told me that he's interested in voicing a mod character. So, what should I do?
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    I'd absolutely love to do so voice work, unfortunately I don't think I have the tech to do so at the moment. 
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    edited February 2019
    @Grammarsalad - ask him to record a line. For example a greeting with the Child of Bhaal. Or some question where he asks how he can be of help. It's best to have it longer than 2 words. When you two come up with a line, save it as ogg, wav or mp3, zip it and upload here by moving the archive to the comment/text window :)

@ZaramMaldovar - if you'll decide to post something, we would be more than happy :) (by we I mean both users and modders :) ) So if you'll get some microphone or something, remember about us :)

Cheers!
    Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    edited February 2019
    Nice idea @LavaDelVortel ! Looking forward to see the hidden voice acting talents coming.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Ah ha! I always wanted to do something like this! Just didn't have much idea regarding modding technicalities, and moreover, lacked the inspiration to do this. I will post them when I get some time which will be both quiet and free for me (background noises can spoil these things a lot).

Really excited about this. Just a question, is there any particular naming syntax to be followed for the sound sample files?

And since I can simulate a decent variety of voice types and accents other than my default voice, I wonder if I should use them. I don't know if some of them may sound funny or strange (which makes me hesitant to use those ones), but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for coming up with this idea and thread @LavaDelVortel. You've sparked my inner spirit! B)

(Now I just need to frame up some proper dialogue lines... )
    @Rik_Kirtaniya -  I think that on your place I would simply come up with one line and then I would record it using different voices / accents. The naming doesn't matter, this is just a sample for people who may be interested in working. It's so they knew what kind of voice you have, how deep it is etc. If they are interested, then they will send you specific lines following specific naming so it is a bit easier for them to implement it. Also, most modders would use ogg files, or wav if they don't care much about weight of the files. But here - again - it's just about samples, so most common formats will do.
  • jmaeqjmaeq Member Posts: 91
    edited February 2019
     @Rik_Kirtaniya These are great clips! I have to point out that I love that robotic "hehe" at the very end.

On a side note for those that are interested in recording and don't have the equipment or don't know how to start - here is a thread that might help!
    jmaeq said:

@Rik_Kirtaniya These are great clips! I have to point out that I love that robotic "hehe" at the very end.
    @jmaeq Ah, thanks a lot! :)

By the way, I was thinking that moving this thread to the General Discussions sub-forum might be a good idea, since it's the most active sub-forum (after the Off-Topic, of course) and so it would catch more eyes there (and you'd get more interested people to showcase their skills!)
    Thanks for the first take :) I will be making a list in the first post. If I do not add something in a day, I allow forum moderators and admins to add the links to specific posts with packages from the thread to the first post :) Can't wait to hear more lines! :)
    edited February 2019
    @Rik_Kirtaniya
    Great stuff.

Unfortunately what headset I have has taken some unexpected damage and I'm only able to record using my computer's voice recorder.

I tried recording but it won't except the file format (m.4a) and I have no clue how to change file types.

Audacity - it's a free software - allows you do record sounds and save them in different formats :)
    Thanks! I added link to this package in the first post :)
    Those are splendid ones, @jmaeq, especially the songs. Track 2 was just beautiful! Impressive work! Bravo! :smiley:

There's a great variety in the various voices as well. I think "idk1" probably sounds like what a Xvart would sound like if all they said wasn't an "Eeeeeeeeeeee"! ;)
  • jmaeqjmaeq Member Posts: 91
    edited February 2019
    Thank you both! :)

@Rik_Kirtaniya Never thought of that one sounding like a Xvart, so I had to go back and listen to it. I must say, you have an ear for this! Now all we need is a Xvart NPC :smiley:
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    This looks like it would be fun. I always torment my wife with diffrent voices. If a mic ever finds it way to me, I'll definitely post something. Just, uh, expect around early 80's children's cartoon level of "quality" hehe.
    @ThacoBell - it would be amazing if you found some time :) And torment your wife to record something as well! :D
    Ho there friends! I didn't get much time since last week until today evening, so here's a few more lines I managed to record before chaos and background static made it difficult for me to continue. Some of them are imitations of popular BG lines, while the rest are made up by myself. Hope you like them! :)

By the way, I really do think this thread should get more attention (as it rightly deserves). I have an impression that potential interested people, who would like to do voice acting, still don't know about this thread, as they might not be checking the modding forums. :/ I think moving this to the General Discussions would grant it a greater participation, since the main motto of this, if I'm not mistaken, is the participation of the forumites, which, I think, would be more viable in a more populated sub-forum. :)
    Thanks. Added link!

To be honest, I'd like the thread to get more attention, but also that's creative work and people... well... can't be forced to create stuff. To record. If you know some people - and I'm talking to everyone now - tag them. That is all we can do now.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Audacity - it's a free software - allows you do record sounds and save them in different formats :)

I've had success with zamzar for converting to different formats (also free):

https://www.zamzar.com
    By the way, I'd like to share something, especially with those who would like to do voice acting but don't have appropriate recording instruments.

All this time, I had been using only my mobile phone mic to record all the voice samples I posted above. To be honest, if you do it in a reasonably quiet background (I usually do it in those evenings when nobody else is in the house), there is not any significant noticeable background static, as you can see from my voice samples. The trick is to keep your mouth about (or a little less than) an arm's distance from the phone mic, and that does wonders. (I think there is some kind of reverberation and superimposition of the sound waves when the mouth is too close to the mic.)

Also, for those using Android phones, there is a great software called ASR (you can download it from Google Play), which supports recording in various formats (.ogg and .wav included), and also has a nifty background noise reduction feature (all in the free version), so that can help. In fact, that's what I use.

So what I'd say, @ZaramMaldovar, @ThacoBell, if you are interested, you can give it a go using your phone mic, and see if it works for you! I'm sure we will see some brilliant ones coming from you guys! :smiley:
    Hey! Thanks for submitting :) I am at work and I can't check it now, but will check and add it to the list later today! Thank you :)
    edited February 2019
    Added :) Thank you for sending those! Lots of good stuff in there! Couldn't open some with Audacity, but those in seperate directories worked fine :)

@Cahir - have you ever thought about giving this a shot?
    @LavaDelVortel
    Which files didn't work? I recorded and safe them all in the same fashion and then made them into a zip file so I could put them on here.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @LavaDelVortel, nah, I'll pass, I don't have proper quality hardware plus my voice sounds goddamn awful when recorded and I can't even stand to listen to myself on the recording (strangely my voice sounds OK to me on daily basis). And I also have completely zero free time these days :( Thanks for the offer, though.