Skip to content

Need help: Trapped Chest in Guarded Compound (SOLVED).

VolatileVolatile Member Posts: 81
Hey guys,

I'm soloing BG2 for the first time as a mage, and have already cleared the Guarded Compound. Thus far, I've been dealing with traps via Magic Resistance, Spell Immunity, Stoneskin, Mirror Image et cetera. There is however this one chest on the second floor, in the room with four chests by their respective beds, that seems to be an instant death trap. I've tried everything I could think of (Spell Immunity: Alteration didn't work) and there is no Saving Throw for it. The trap goes off, then the squares form up around my mage and he dies.

Is there a way around this? I really want that Wand of Paralyzation.

UPDATE: It's a Maze trap. You'll need Spell Immunity: Conjuration or else it's Game Over if you're solo.
Post edited by Volatile on
SkatanGusinda

Comments

• Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    I don't usually trigger traps so I am not familiar with this one. But you say squares form up around your mage. That implies Imprisonment. You would probably be able to protect against it with Spell Immunity: Abjuration (or Spell Trap, I guess).
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    Hi @Volatile
    I dont recall the trap you mentioned, but I dont recall any imprisonment traps in the game.

But the game does dish outa few maze traps. Maze is a game over as well in solo. Maze is a different spell school:
    https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Maze
    Skatan
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @StummvonBordwehr Well, that would imply Spell Immunity: Conjuration.
    Rik_KirtaniyaVolatile
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Magic resistance will also work against maze. For non-mage types I use potions of magic protection or a scroll of PfM (can be cast without using it up using Vhailor's Helm), but I agree for a mage the obvious answer is spell immunity.
    StummvonBordwehrSkatan
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    That particular trap you're talking about is a Maze trap. Just put on SI: Conjuration and you'll be fine. I know it very well! B)
    StummvonBordwehrVolatileSkatan
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    That Maze trap has killed of more than one careless thief (poor Jan!) for me. I have a tendency to forget which traps are where, hehe.. But yes, it's indeed a Maze trap as said above.
    Volatile
  • VolatileVolatile Member Posts: 81
    Spell Immunity: Conjuration worked! Thank you, guys. Always learning something new.
    SkatanStummvonBordwehrRaduziel