Skip to content

BG2, Game crashes when I start a new game

Hey I guess with the recent patch something must of changed, havent played in like a year and it worked fine before. When I load up the game and click new game it crashes. So far I have uninstalled/reinstalled, verifed file integrity on steam and tried both cursing at the game and pleading with it. No luck.

There are no mods downloaded/installed.

Help me obi wans, you are my only hope.

It won't allow me to attach the crash file as it says the file format is not allowed and the file size is too big. It is a .dmp file or something found in the infinity engine folder under my documents.

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    I know it seems obvious, but have you restarted the computer? Sometimes you get that sort of problem when you're halfway through a Windows update, so it's always worth a restart to ensure everything is working smoothly.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited February 2019
    Hi! Please follow the first 4 steps here, including the DirectX 9.0 link, - maybe a Windows update, or something, interfered with your drivers

https://beamdog.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206729933-Windows-My-Game-Won-t-Launch-Or-Is-Crashing-On-Launch
  • xzarsrevengexzarsrevenge Member Posts: 60
    Hi I have followed those steps and still no luck :(
    Anyone have any ideas?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    If you're sure you've used all the steps, please create a report at support.baldursgate.com to hear from our QA.
    I did that and the cr rep told me to use redmine as a means to escalate but im not sure how that helps. I just submitted another report though and hopefully I will talk to someone helpful who can just forward my thing to tech support. I have the crash file but its a dmp and I can't open it.
    Customer support (support@beamdog.com) are not QA. I've forwarded you to a bug-reporting site where our QA is very active. Just look how they're replying to similar troubleshooting issues, eg. https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/39024
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @xzarsrevenge, when you reinstalled, did you also delete the folder in your "My Documents" area (ie saved games, baldur.lua etc). If you didn't, could you try rename your '..\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition' to '..\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition.old' just in case there is a corrupt saved game. Start a new game and it will rebuild the folder structure and baldur.lua.

If that doesn't work, could you run 'dxdiag' from a command prompt (or type dxdiag into search/Cortana depending on what version of Windows you are running), save and upload the results? Could you also upload your baldur.lua (renamed to baldur.lua.txt).

Gus
    I did another uninstall and that seemed to work its going fine now. I don't know what was up but thank you to everyone for helping <3