Skip to content

Imoen, why is your dexterity 19?

So, I was looking at the stats of my super cool party while standing in front of the Machine of Lum the Angry, trying to figure out who gets what party favors, when I noticed that Imoen's dexterity was permanently set to 19. I loaded my first save from ToB, and it's 18. We have not played with the Deck of Lots of Stuff, except the initial games with the demon. Not that I'm mad, but any ideas as to where this came from?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    in ToB imoen can go through some ascension change and her DEX goes up by 1 and i believe she gets a couple special abilities as well ( cure serious wounds or some such )

i've only had this happen once since owning the EEs ( im pretty sure it didn't happen in default ToB ) some im going to assume its something that beamdog has implemented into the game because it was supposed to be there originally?

and since i have only ever had it happen to me once, i don't know for sure what causes it to trigger
    JuliusBorisov
  • xizorxizor Member Posts: 89
    It's part of her Bhaalspawn powers, she gains permanent +1dex, +1str and some minor spells as innate abilities.
  • TraumaDramaTraumaDrama Member Posts: 56
    Thank you! I noticed when she got spells but not the stat boosts.

Follow-up question: Are the spells she gains random? The first time she got it, she gained that Larloch's drain spell, and when I had to reload for some reason, she got Cure/Cause Serious Wounds.
    xizor wrote: »
    It's part of her Bhaalspawn powers, she gains permanent +1dex, +1str and some minor spells as innate abilities.

Her strength did not change. Is that because she had a strength belt on?
    i dont think they are random, i think they are going to be based off of reputation? so perhaps your REP changed during that reload time
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    If I remember right she gets her powers in two steps, and the first set of powers (that are of the kind that you might have had yourself) get upgraded to more powerful versions.
    Speaking of the Machine and who to give what, if I don't have any shorties in my party, is it totally useless at this point, now that everyone is over level 10? My highest constitution in my party is 18, so I couldn't even get it up to 20, where I'd be regenerating a hitpoint a minute, which is nothing compared to what several items I have do. So is this a wasted point?

Her strength did not change. Is that because she had a strength belt on?

I found two banters in Nearinfinity that give her powers. First one gives her SPIN574.SPL (+1 dex, minor cure, minor drain), second SPIN573.SPL (+1str, slow poison, DuHM).

I still didn't get the second banter, even in my final save. I also don't know where cure/cause serious wounds came from, but I guess the spells got upgrade at some point.
    StummvonBordwehr
    Speaking of the Machine and who to give what, if I don't have any shorties in my party, is it totally useless at this point, now that everyone is over level 10? My highest constitution in my party is 18, so I couldn't even get it up to 20, where I'd be regenerating a hitpoint a minute, which is nothing compared to what several items I have do. So is this a wasted point?

increasing your CON from 18 to 19 for any warrior class will give them an extra 9 HP ( or 10 HP if they are a thief or mage class with 15 CON )

for shorties, their maximum save bonus starts at 18 CON
    StummvonBordwehr
    edited February 2019

I found two banters in Nearinfinity that give her powers. First one gives her SPIN574.SPL (+1 dex, minor cure, minor drain), second SPIN573.SPL (+1str, slow poison, DuHM).

I still didn't get the second banter, even in my final save. I also don't know where cure/cause serious wounds came from, but I guess the spells got upgrade at some point.

I wonder if they are two different possibilities. This might explain why on one play I got minor cure and minor drain, and on another I got cure/cause serious wounds. I never thought to look at my stats during after the conversation.

Edited to add: and no, there were no rep changes. It's been 20 for a looooong time.
    Post edited by TraumaDrama on
    sarevok57 wrote: »

increasing your CON from 18 to 19 for any warrior class will give them an extra 9 HP ( or 10 HP if they are a thief or mage class with 15 CON )
    Is that for every level? Does this still happen after level 10?

Is that for every level? Does this still happen after level 10?

yes, so if you somehow cranked your CON from 18 to 21 with a warrior you would gain 18 HP whether you did this at level 9 or level 30
    TraumaDrama

I wonder if they are two different possibilities. This might explain why on one play I got minor cure and minor drain, and on another I got cure/cause serious wounds. I never thought to look at my stats during after the conversation.

Edited to add: and no, there were no rep changes. It's been 20 for a looooong time.

No, I think the banters should both happen. I tried to use ctrl+I to force it and it worked.
    sarevok57
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    If the Imoen part of Ascension made it into BG2EE, does that mean the restored Bhaalpowers has been implemented? I thought it was a nice touch that those powers came back with your soul. They weren't game-breaking powers but it made a little bit of difference for a solo run. I'll admit I haven't played ToBEE yet, which is why I'm asking...
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    If the Imoen part of Ascension made it into BG2EE, does that mean the restored Bhaalpowers has been implemented? I thought it was a nice touch that those powers came back with your soul. They weren't game-breaking powers but it made a little bit of difference for a solo run. I'll admit I haven't played ToBEE yet, which is why I'm asking...

nope, only the imoen and sarevok thing has been implemented as far as i know
    Balrog99
    yes, so if you somehow cranked your CON from 18 to 21 with a warrior you would gain 18 HP whether you did this at level 9 or level 30

Where is this table? When I took Charname from 18 to 19, it went up 9, but when I tossed on Axe of unyielding to give him 20, his HP didn't move. And FYI I tried this in reverse with the same results, Axe then Lum Machine. Since that 1 HP a minute regen doesn't seem worth it, I'm wondering if I should give it to someone else.

The table is in your game manual. In general, the con scores 15 and 16 are important for everybody, 17, 18, 19, 21 and 24 are cool for fighter types.
    TraumaDramasarevok57
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342

Where is this table? When I took Charname from 18 to 19, it went up 9, but when I tossed on Axe of unyielding to give him 20, his HP didn't move. And FYI I tried this in reverse with the same results, Axe then Lum Machine. Since that 1 HP a minute regen doesn't seem worth it, I'm wondering if I should give it to someone else.

Its worth considering when generating charname.

When I powerplay I give my charname 17 con if human and 19 when half-orc or dwarf.

If I do a no reload run I max out con. Getting to 20 con in BG1 with Buckleys buckler is neat for travel/rest regen - and every hp counts in when no realoding.

There is a neat helmet from the sewers that can boost your con by 1 - so you can end up with 21.

And when considering which stat boost goes where: Solely charname...
    its the second rule of the powerplayers!!
    [Deleted User]
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    There is a neat helmet from the sewers that can boost your con by 1 - so you can end up with 21.

@StummvonBordwehr I don't recognize that one. Have I missed something or is it a mod item?
    @Grond0
    No mods. Its the helmet of Dumathion. It boosts con for everyone by 1 and 2 for dwarfs. Doesnt it?
    @Grond0
    No mods. Its the helmet of Dumathion. It boosts con for everyone by 1 and 2 for dwarfs. Doesnt it?

@StummvonBordwehr got you. I misunderstood and thought you were referring to the BG sewers. That helm is from the dwarven dig site in Siege of Dragonspear.
    StummvonBordwehr
    @Grond0
    Yeah I wasnt specific.
    The helmet can be found in the sewers in BG2:ee
    Grond0
    edited February 2019
    @Grond0
    Yeah I wasnt specific.

Right - I'm not used to seeing it there as most of the time I'm playing solo and would expect to be wearing the Helm of Balduran (and I think it doesn't get imported if you don't have it in your equipment at the end of SoD).
    StummvonBordwehr
    Grond0 wrote: »
    @Grond0
    Yeah I wasnt specific.

Right - I'm not used to seeing it there as most of the time I'm playing solo and would expect to be wearing the Helm of Balduran (and I think it doesn't get imported if you don't have it in your equipment at the end of SoD).

Me neither. I usually dont as far as BG2 if I do a no-reload..... And yes you have to import the helmet of Dumathion into the game.

But if you import the claw of Kazgorath instead of the helmet of balduran, the helmet of Dumathion works well with the claw (although the helmet of defense is even better..)
    Grond0
    I was gonna say, I hit every inch of those sewers and never saw that. Would I have had to import a game from SoD, which I stupidly did not play?

Also regarding that table, this is all I could find, which only references how many HP I gain for the first 9 or 10 levels:
    https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Constitution

But it looks like I don't get anything at 20, so I'll either give it to someone else or find a way to get me another.
    If I do a no reload run I max out con. Getting to 20 con in BG1 with Buckleys buckler is neat for travel/rest regen - and every hp counts in when no realoding.

Speaking of Buckley's Buckler, when I first played through BG many, many years ago, I was convinced that having Buckley's Buckler allowed me to gain more HP on level up. Was I dumb? In retrospect that seems like too easy an exploit. I would pass that thing to whoever was about to level up. I was also a teenager . . .
    @TraumaDrama
    Your memory is not half bad - or at least as bad as mine.

As I recall you could keep the extra HP you gained at level up, if your con was boosted - but since there was no Buckleys buckler in Vanilla it was only DUHM or a potion of fortitude that could do that.

You should play SoD. Its a real treat, and canon gameplay imho.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    SoD is pretty nifty actually, though I got it pretty late I really enjoyed it. It's a great showcase of what you could do with the engine in some ways, and has some real battles, many of which you can trivialize if you play dirty. ;) It also has lots of different specialty gear for different characters, so a different PC can have some very different gear options to offer more replay-ability.

I'm definitely going to take Imoen next time through BG2... I usually use anyone else, since I would normally get her at low XP vs mine, as I usually do most of the sidequests before the Spellhold. I like Bounty Hunters, so I'll just bring Yoshi and switch it up. How annoying is her low thief abilities if you don't bring another thief? I liked Hexxat on an evil playthrough, but I don't think she'd fit into a good one very well.
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisov

its exactly as i said, if you were to go from 18 to 19 you would gain 9 HP but if you went from 18 to 21 ( not 20 ) you would gain 18 ( or i suppose i should have said if you went from 19 to 21 you would gain 9 HP )

now for that item that is in the sewers that gives you a +1 to con is not in the original game, it is either from a mod or a SoD import ( i never play SoD so i have no idea what items carry over, so this could be one of them )

although in ToB the merchant that is in the forest area sells an iounstone that gives +1 CON and anyone can use it, or if you guy is evil you can use malla's soul stone to get +1 CON/DEX
    TraumaDrama
    There's also the Axe of Unyielding, one of the most offensive defensive items in the game.
    sarevok57
    There's also the Axe of Unyielding, one of the most offensive defensive items in the game.

tis my favourite one handed weapon :)
    ThacoBell