Skip to content

Strange things about the game ...

BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
I started meddling with visual range and guess what?
I found that standard visual range is 50, max is 100.
But wait! Ranged weapons has up to 100 in range but it will not auto-attack (manual is possible) at anything beyond 50 .... Why do we get longer ranged weapons when it does not auto-attack and we are limited to standard 50 visual range?

Why all the restrictions, I wonder ...
It is like owning an electric car that has a battery charge for 200 miles but the AI in your car will not allow you to drive when mileage hits 100 and demand recharging !!

Sigh....
Post edited by Bubbles on

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    it could have something to do with the fact that back in the day, the IE games were run at much lower RES so it was not necessary to make the range of sight further because the RES wasn't supported for the those super high RES

also, i don't think i've had this happen to me, where a character could shot further than line of sight, i just finished playing IWD EE and as far as i could recall, everything is working as intended

do you have any mods installed by chance?

because im playing a clean game, and i dont think im getting these behaviours
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    @sarevok57
    Manually shooting at enemies beyond range 50 is possible.
    It is just the auto attack and auto pause when enemies are sighted that doesn't work beyond range 50.
    Is there a way to override this? Could it be the AI scripts that has a range setting within?
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    where are you getting range 50 from?

Default visual range is '14', or 28 in-game feet, 448 pixels horizontal, 336 pixels vertical
    Capped visual range is '23'. or 46 in-game feet, 736 pixels horizontal, 552 pixels vertical
    Scripts are limited by your visual range - IIRC some triggers/actions/objects are also further limited by their own hardcoded range limits.

Spells can be flagged to ignore the caster's visual range, and work up to the spells internal casting range, but not weapons. You still need to be able to target the spell (cannot cast into the shroud).
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    edited February 2019
    @kjeron
    I am just using the weapon range(when you use dlrcep)stats meaning about 50% of a longbow range.
    When i extend another 15 intervals in the visual range, the longbow can be manually fired up to that, but auto attack and auto pauses when enemy is sighted still remain at default.
    Thus I am wondering if the default limit is due AI script of the PCs.