Skip to content

Are there going to be subraces in bg;ee?

2»

Comments

• EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    btw: I understand that races like Tieflings, Aasimars and ( supreme ) Drows are little harder to implement ( if you have in plane some special attributes or abilites ) but races like Gold Dwarves, Wild Elves, Duergars and Svirfneblins do not have any " special powers " hard to implement.
  • KouTheMadKouTheMad Member Posts: 77
    Anton said:

Unfortunately subraces won't make it into the shipping version. I hope to patch them in later, and definitely hope to include them in BG2:EE. We have them all planned out and whatnot, but didn't have a chance to include them.
    Tieflings, Aasimar, Gold Dwarves, Wild Elves, Duergar, (cough)DROW(cough)... we've got some plans.
    (c) @PhillipDaigle, Lead Producer, Writer

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/z1af7/we_are_overhaul_games_the_team_behind_baldurs/c60q4bn
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/z1af7/we_are_overhaul_games_the_team_behind_baldurs/c60pncv

ooooooohhh, i was hoping to be able to play a Duergar!
    Enhanced Edition release date has changed...
    But question is still same...

Can you update answer ?

" Are there going to be subraces in this new BG:EE shipping version ? "
    Edvin said:

Enhanced Edition release date has changed...
    But question is still same...

Can you update answer ?

" Are there going to be subraces in this new BG:EE shipping version ? "

was wondering that
    Xavioria
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I think someone on the boards posted a tweet from Trent Oster saying that they were going to add the Drow, Aasimar and Tieflings to the CHARNAME races, so it seems like it. At least the Drow are a Subrace. Some races don't have much differences, like Mountain and Hill Dwarves, while some are more about looks, like Stout, Hairfoot and Tallfellow Halflings. And then there are the Underdark races, like Derro Dwarves, Duergar Dwarves, and Svirfneblin Gnomes. If the CHARNAME is a Svirfneblin, it would be nice to see some acknowledgement of it in the Svirfneblin settlement.
    edited September 2012
    @LadyRhian
    Yes, this is old new:

" Unfortunately subraces won't make it into the shipping version. I hope to patch them in later, and definitely hope to include them in BG2:EE. We have them all planned out and whatnot, but didn't have a chance to include them. Tieflings, Aasimar, Gold Dwarves, Wild Elves, Duergar, (cough)DROW(cough)... we've got some plans. "

True question is not " if " but " when ".
    But now they have 2 more months to include them.

I REALLY want start game with my favorite subrace....
    Xavioria
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Edvin And which is your favorite subrace?
    The drow rule supreme !

But i don´t like drows because they are VERY strong race, but i just like how cool they are.
    ( Appearance, culture, weapons, cunning minds )

I do´t need any their bonuses, all what i want is just be drow, that is good enough.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited September 2012
    I think it's great that Phillip Daigle stopped by and answered the question succinctly and honestly (I don't want to put an @ in front of that lest he appear here thinking it's an emergency).

Subraces are the no. 1 feature I think they'd add post-release. I'm skeptical that a subrace will significantly change interaction in the game (as even your main race doesn't do much).

The real question for me is not if or even when the subraces are coming, but what these races will be like. What abilities modifiers and powers (if any) will these new races have?

Sometimes they ignore past D&D resources in making a new class. Half-orcs, as I understand, were implemented differently in various incarnations of the game.

• XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    If this is the case... Then I'm playing aasimar. I usually play an elf (a moon elf) but I think this race could be interesting. I also wonder if Haer'Dalis would be afraid or angry of you...

OR an aasimar NPC so I can try a sea elf if THAT is implemented. Omg so many POSSIBILITIES
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Lets be honest people. We all want to play a Drow. :D
    RomulanPaladinEdvinHeinrich
    Roller12 said:

may roll one, more likely to roll a underdark race, Duergar (Dark Dwarves) or some other dark variation of other races.........or Half Orc.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    If sub races come into the mix... Will certain classes be open to certain ones that weren't open to the general race beforehand?
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    I wonder if your a drow in bg2:ee and you go to the underdark could they possibly add diolog to cover that.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    If you want people to react to you as though you are a drow, just list Viconia first in your party (on the list of player portraits on the right side of the screen). At least in BG2, I have encountered several people in the vanilla game that react differently to her because she is drow. There's a tavern in Waukeen's Promenade for example, where the owner is friendly to anyone except Viconia, whom she refuses to serve on the grounds that she is a drow. This could be a way to partially allieviate this problem without being able to make the PC a drow.
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    I was wondering if anyone can still clarify if there will be subraces added to the game? Since the release date was delayed 2 months I'd imagine that is more than enough time to fulfill this most "basic" need for us fans of bg.
  • WonderviceWondervice Member Posts: 56
    Roller12 said:

Nope.avi

Also I do not see the point. Unless others recognize you as such it's just some extra + and - on your character sheet.
    And I really do not think the devs can rewrite so many for people in the game world to act accordingly. And if they don't then it's the same as before, except for a different name. I would much rather have more differences between the base races - it would be nice getting more different dialoge options based on your race/gender/class/ability scores.

• eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    Roller12 said:

Only drow I want to play is a dead drow's rib cage. They make the best xylophones! :D
    I'm all for it. The more drow to slaughter, the merrier the slaughter!
    edited October 2012
    ekster said:

The more drow to slaughter, the merrier the slaughter!

This is exact drow stance.
    " Slaughter all drows in your way to the top ! "
    You will be great drow ( In your dark heart you already are )
  • LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165
    Worg said:

Sure there will be subraces eventually don't know which ones. Drow however will probably be a 5$ dlc considering how popular it is. Bgee is a cow and it needs to be milked.

doesn't make sense when modders can put it in for free. then again, dlcs are SHIT