Skip to content

Diablo

TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835
Diablo is now available on GoG. It doesn't come with the Hellfire expansion but still worth it in my opinion.

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I honestly think that 10 bucks is a bit expensive for a non-enhanced oldschool game.
    smeagolheartAedan
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835
    I think paying 10 bucks to play it on a windows 10 PC is worth it. I understand your point though.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I also think it a bit expensive for first Diablo. The game is classic and has huge nostalgia value for many gamers, but in my opinion the only thing it has still going for is its excellent mood. Gameplay-wise it aged quite badly.

And that's coming from Diablo fan.
    TakisMegassmeagolheart
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited March 2019
    I mean, it's enhanced in the fact that they've (for the most part) made it playable on Windows without having to have the CD or an ISO loaded. And even with .dll workarounds, there were still nagging issues like the mouse cursor sometimes acting like an eraser on the character select screen. Those are gone now. I just can't believe Blizzard allowed GOG to sell it. If they are gonna do this, I don't see any reason Warcraft 1 and 2 shouldn't follow it. The Hellfire expansion was.....not good. It was only semi-official in the first place, and was made by Sierra.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Warcraft 1 and 2 have already been confirmed as well.
    TakisMegas
    edited March 2019
    From what I've seen they are bringing Warcraft 1 and 2 to GoG. Here's hoping to them bringing a EE for Diablo 2. B)

Edit: beat me to it.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited March 2019
    TakisMegas wrote: »
    From what I've seen they are bringing Warcraft 1 and 2 to GoG. Here's hoping to them bringing a EE for Diablo 2. B)

Edit: beat me to it.

They already sell it in the Blizzard Shop, and they updated it specifically for Windows 10 last year. I think it stays where it is, and if they DO enhance it (which David Brevik himself says would have major issues and hurdles), they will certainly sell it themsleves. I think the GOG choices will strictly be regulated to this MS-DOS/dawn of Windows timeframe, namely these 3 games. For whatever reason, Blizzard itself is uninterested in these 3 games as legacy projects, and I'm frankly shocked they have given them to GOG at all.
    DJKajuruTakisMegas
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited March 2019
    Why pay when I've got 3 original copy CDs of the game?

Now, my poor D2 discs, I don't have 1 complete set of.

I missed WC1, I started with WC2, and trying to go back to WC1 didn't happen, much like playing BG2 then trying BG1 is a challenge, and why I'm presently playing Fallout2. It's just...too basic/ugly/simple for the first game compared to its sequel.

I wish there was a Diablo 1.5 using the setting/environment of D1 but the mechanics of D2. When you dig into the mechanics of D1, you find that its very limited mechanically.

It has AWESOME atmosphere though.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    The Hellfire expansion was.....not good.

The additional content certainly wasn't as good as the original, but it wasn't terrible. I admit I'm a little surprised at the number of Hellfire posts in the GOG forum.
    Quickblade wrote: »
    Now, my poor D2 discs, I don't have 1 complete set of.

My D2 discs also died. You can enter your key into your Blizzard account and get a downloadable version at least.
    I have my D2 discs, but my most current laptop doesn't even have a disc drive. Whenever I want to use PlugY, I have to download 1.12 from somewhere on the internet, enter my codes, then upgrade to 1.13d.
    edited March 2019
    I have the disc version of D1, D2, WC 1-2 and 3 but enjoy the convenience of having them available from one download source. Now I'm even more excited to have some of them DRM free also.
    Post edited by TakisMegas on
    They added Hellfire to the GOG version out of the blue during the middle of the Summer Sale this morning. Apparently Blizzard gave the OK for it. I'm not a huge fan of the expansion, but it IS kind of amazing to have these two games together functioning and purchasable so many years after the fact.