Skip to content

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (NO SPOILERS please)

FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
edited March 2019 in Off-Topic
Coming out March 22nd

Who's hyped??
Post edited by FinneousPJ on

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    After seeing some gameplay footage of the first area, I think this is going to be way more similar to Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 than people anticipate. The audio of the enemies in particular gives the same vibes.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @jjstraka34 Sure, I think so too. Like Bloodborne it takes the formula and does something a bit different. Although this time there won't be any multiplayer, which sucks.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited March 2019
    Looks good, but as i've said many times, i don't like the "forced to be close range swordsman", an Dark Souls like game in Japan have soo much potential. For example, allowing me to use an Naginata, Yumi bow, etc and if magic is present, imagine how cool will gonna be be able to summon Shikigamis like Kekkashi anime?

What allowed humanity to hunt bigger animals was mostly ranged weapons and polearms that are very underrepresented on fantasy.

Is kinda off topic but i've searched a little the top DkS 3 builds and...

1:15 - Fast Swinging blade ("dark build") and some variations using guess what? Fast swinging blades
    5:00 - An pyro build, using few spells and guess waht? Fast swinging blade
    8:09 - Another "kinght" build using... Fast swinging blade

On DkS 1/2, i fell that polearms was much more effective than swords. My first build was an spearman/pyromancer with heavy armor and the game was not hard, except few parts like Bed of Chaos.

Unfortunately From Software games will not make more games with weapon diversity. Will be swords only, just like CoD is now SMG only. The difference is that you can use other wepaons on cod but you will gonna be at massive disadvantage. I hope that more companies tries to explore the souls series. Imagine how cool an steampunk souls like game. Or DkS with mounted combat
    Pre-ordered last night, and Friday is the start of my weekend. In addition, this is, for me at least, the From game I know the least about going on. It won't be TOTALLY blind, but everything outside the first area will be. Especially interested in how Dragonrot works.
    FinneousPJ
    @jjstraka34 I'll be binging over the weekend as well. What a time with DMC5 and now this. Let's agree avoid spoilers for the time being, yes?
    edited March 2019
    FinneousPJ wrote: »
    @jjstraka34 I'll be binging over the weekend as well. What a time with DMC5 and now this. Let's agree avoid spoilers for the time being, yes?

Yeah, I've already gotten a glimpse of two bosses which is far too much. I spoiled alot of the Dark Souls trilogy before I even played the game, and I'm gonna keep this one contained to just the first area. I do hope there are at least 15-20 bosses and the game is as long as the last two.
    FinneousPJ
    I've been able to avoid spoilers so far. Btw if the game launches tomorrow in Jpn does it mean today in the west?
    Performance Analysis

According to Steam, the game will launch at around 1500 GMT tomorrow.
    The reviews seem to indicate there are only about 12 bosses with a capital B, but a large amount of mini-bosses all over the place.
    FinneousPJ
    @jjstraka34 That's surprisingly few. Although that's still better than the DS2 model...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Yeah, I'm definitely impressed by the graphics. Looking forward to trying it one day. Also, I'm waiting for Ghost of Tsushima.
    FinneousPJTakisMegasBallpointMan
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    I love the Dark Souls franchise as well as Bloodborne. From what I've read, this game looks completely fantastic.

I may not get to play it THIS weekend, but I am going to get it soon.
    FinneousPJTakisMegas
    edited March 2019
    Mine is unpacking as I type this. They seem to have released it early. If you bought the game on Steam, you should have access TONIGHT!!!!

Edit: They have done it again. Even the tutorial area is just magnificent, perfectly acclimating you to the new combat system, which offers more freedom than ever before and is just.....elegant really. So smooth. The design and gameplay loop is all Souls, but the moment to moment combat and movement is entirely new.

To be perfectly honest, I have never been all that into this kind of Japanese aesthetic in games, but Sekiro has me totally invested from the get-go. From has clearly found a way to expand on their formula while at the same time essentially offering people what they want. They could have easily just trotted out replicas on a yearly basis, but they have opted not to do so, to their everlasting credit.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
    FinneousPJTakisMegas
    I installed it and had to leave for work ???
    SkatanBallpointMan
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    Thanks for the ping FinneousPJ, I'm intrigued especially since this time around it's an entirely Single Player affair.
    FinneousPJ
    This game is brutal. Until you adjust, you will get annihilated.
    FinneousPJ
    I'm leaving work soon so then it's play time.
    BTW - Game runs in Linux (Proton) straight out the gate.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I wonder if this Dragonrot mechanic can engulf the whole game world. World War Z: Sengoku style, perhaps? :p
    Don't know but please hide any spoilers!
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    FinneousPJ wrote: »
    Calling some people who have expressed interest in FromSoft games in the past

Yes, but no interest in Sekiro and Nioh by the reasons that i've said.
    I wonder if this Dragonrot mechanic can engulf the whole game world. World War Z: Sengoku style, perhaps? :p

It's mildly annoying, but it doesn't necessarily effect anything to the point that it is gonna hinder your gameplay. It is tied to your death, and since I have died ALOT, my Dragonrot situation is.....not good lol. In the same way that my Hollowing stat in Dark Souls 3 after letting Yoel kill himself for you was also bad. It has a way more tangible effect on the game than that mechanic, and it does cost you, but it isn't going to make or break whether you make progress or not. It's complicated in the same way World Tendency was, in that it's nearly impossible to explain even after you read how it works.
    KamigoroshiFinneousPJ
    Some pointers:
    "Bonfires" are quite plentiful
    Extra healing items beyond your flask
    "Parrying" (block/deflect) seems very forgiving

Overall, I would say this game is "easier" than DS3.

Be that as it may, I'm enjoying it a lot. It's not a Dark Souls replacement though, more like a stealth assassin game (Tenchu). This is the most focused single-player experience they've made in this vein in a long time, and another masterclass in game design. The levels are absolutely breathtaking, and the semi-open world feels vast but conquerable.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    Really loving it! Playing on Steam I got to use the VPN to get it a bit early and ended up getting wrecked by Shinobi Hunter. That guy just does so much posture damage it’s unreal! Eventually beat him with a Mikami counter and some sweaty whrilwind slashes.

Just finished Hirati Estates last night, felt a lot like a Tenchu map given the Souls treatment. The end boss is a perfect example of ‘oh this is bullshit!’ And gradually all the moves become instinctive and your dodging and parrying like a god. When i was fighting Druken Bozo I had a bit of an epiphany. All the enemies so far I had been one on one parrying, side stepping etc. but I was struggling on Bozo until I realised I can just hold sprint and run around like a blue arsed fly, taking pot shots when an opening appears. It’s a cheesy way to play but it felt incredibly liberating!

FinneousPJ
    I love how the sequence of the game is set up. Every time I get stuck on a boss, there is an another side area I can explore in the meanwhile.
    @jjstraka34 I wouldn't worry about the number of bosses, some of these "mini-bosses" are absolutely brilliant. I wouldn't even call them mini-bosses in many cases. I would say the 12 are mega-bosses, then there's bosses, and mini-bosses.