Skip to content

Easy way to kill Thaxll'ssillyia (no mods).

Looks like I found one fun and easy method (no mods) to kill the Shadow Dragon Thaxll'ssillyia by group, namely:
  1. one character must turns into Mustard Jelly * (using the 'Polymorph Self' spell or Cloak of the Sewers item) and attacks the dragon in melee range;
  2. arcane casters of a group must cast 'Lower Resistance' spell (2 to 3 times) on a dragon**;
  3. everyone in group, who can cast 'Magic Missile' - must casts it on a dragon. Ususally 10 casts of max level 'Magic Missiles' should be enough.

PS Also, you can kill the black dragon Nizidramanii'yt almost by the same way, but you need to protect yours heroic 'jelly' from acid (spell or green scrolls).

PPS I left a similar comment on the wiki - as in that article a lot of nonsense (namely about acid) is written.

_________
* Mustard Jelly is immune to Level Drain, Blindness, Fear and piercing damage - all main attacks of the Thaxll'ssillyia. Use any healing potions to compensate a Wing Buffet damage.
**Before fight a LOW level (at 9-10 lvl) cleric may cast 'Magic Resistance' spell on a Shadow Dragon - its lowers both magic resistance of a dragon and numbers of usage of 'Lower Resistance' spell (to 1).
StummvonBordwehrAngulimalasemiticgoddess

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    There's an even easier way:

1) Get the shadow ward

2) Fill the places with traps

3) Rest

4) Repeat step 2.

5) Offend the dragon's mom to make him go hostile.

6) Profit.
  • kotopheykotophey Member Posts: 97
    edited March 2019
    Raduziel wrote: »
    There's an even easier way:

Yes, its possible by that way, but my method is relatively 'honest' and more 'spectacular' :)

Edit: And may be implemented at earlier levels (NB! after all, you may place only 7 traps on one map/area).
    Edit#2: Spelling errors :(
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    and if blindness connects, its game over for dragon san, they will literally just stand there and do nothing, while you pull your pants down and moon them, make silly faces at them, ect, ect...

All dragons have a rather strange melee weapon - it has a length of 3 (a usual two-handed weapon has a length of 2), may be due to size of the dragon sprite. On the one hand, this makes the dragon immune to damage of arcane red/blue shields and on the other hand, in the case of blindness it prevents him from attacking the player’s characters.

In any case, my method is more safer - it does not include any 'twists of luck' (saving throws) ;)
    Raduziel
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Feeblemind...
    All these 'traping', 'blinding' and 'febleminding' stuff have long been well known and bored.

But my method is a new word in dragonslaying buisness! I recommend this (especially for no-reloaders). Trouble-free method to fight the special one (maximum two) dragon! Ask at all Faerun pharmacies! :D

Use on health and do not take it all very seriously! ;)
    Raduziel
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    You can use an archer charname with called shot and weaken her strength and saves. Easier than it seems to be.
    Archer? Pff! :) My blackguard (14 lvl) easely wiped this dragon in a solo. There are dozens of ways to kill a dragon (this one or any other) with different degrees of difficulty.

In general, girls and boys, I created this topic only as a 'curious thing'. Just think about it - a jelly (albeit mustard) tanking a shadow dragon! Its funny. However, it is even funnier when a rat acts as a tank, and Demogorgon (its avatar more precisely) acts as its victim.

Caution! You can easily die by laughing while looking at that 'Battle of Ages' :D
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    for spite i like to enfeeble dragons sometimes as well, which gives them a massive to hit and damage penalty, and even on insane they hit like relative kittens ( dealing only up to 50 damage instead of 80 :) )
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    kotophey wrote: »
    In general, girls and boys, I created this topic only as a 'curious thing'. Just think about it - a jelly (albeit mustard) tanking a shadow dragon! Its funny.
    question: does the jelly form protect from the level drain the shadow dragon's breath has?

sarevok57 wrote: »
    for spite i like to enfeeble dragons sometimes as well...
    Better yet, 'to give a dragon strength' with a 2nd level arcane spell 'Strength'. Not as strong as your version, but for sure: no saving throws, bypassing the MR and not losing the 'blue circle' :)

gorgonzola wrote: »
    kotophey wrote: »
    question: does the jelly form protect from the level drain the shadow dragon's breath has?

Yes, I indicated this directly in the first post of this topic. In the remark.

Shadow dragon Thaxll'ssillyia is almost completely powerless against a mustard jelly. The only thing that can cause damage is a Wing Buffet, but it also deals only half damage (crushing), which can be easily healed with the weakest healing potion (Potions of Healing, 9 hp).

However, in TOB there is a shadow dragon Yxtrazzal, and its physical attacks do slashing damage, i.e. jelly can no longer just stand and 'pick one’s nose'. However, there is also a 'ears feint' - this dragon has only +2 main weapon, i.e. planetars invulnerable to all its attacks (may be Wing Buffet will do minor damage).
    sarevok57StummvonBordwehrgorgonzola
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    chimaera wrote: »
    The patch notes indicate that the jelly resistances are bugged/fixed by the 2.6 patch:
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/35228

so which one is it: a true resistance, or just mr?

by the looks of it, it just has the MR, and can still be effected by any of those status ailments
    chimaera wrote: »
    so which one is it: a true resistance, or just mr?

I don’t understand what comrade Pan Nunnyabidness wrote about and what Anders Svensson and his colleagues corrected in 2.6 patch, but at the moment in the game (ver 2.5.16.6) Mustard jelly (spell and cloak) is immune to everything listed in that bugreport (#35228). Checked by Nearinfinity programm and in-game (ver 2.5.16.6) by me. But you may checked this by yourself.

Mustard jelly even without its MR (by multiple casts of 'Lower Resistance') immune to: stun, sleep, fear, poison, petrification, confusion, charm, paralysis, level drain and poison.

P.S. By the way: the breath of a shadow dragon FULLY IGNORE magical resistance.
  • AngulimalaAngulimala Member Posts: 82
    Been a long time since I've played ToB, I don't remember another Shadow Dragon, is it from a mod or is it added content from EE? I'm just starting a new playthrough of the EE trilogy, hoping to be pleasantly surprised by some new content (EE and mods).
    Myrag wrote: »
    On LoB I find brute force to be the easiest way to kill dragons

Good joke, I approve! :D
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    @Angulimala that's not a Shadow Dragon. Nizi is the acid-spewing dragon in Suldanesselar.
    Angulimalakotopheygorgonzola
    Ah, yes, that one. Thank you. I seem to remember lots of vines and swarms of insects there... oh its trickling back into my memory, I'm so excited! I'm still in Beregost, lots to do before I meet that one again.
    Grond0
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    and it is in soa, not in tob (throne af bhaal) that @Angulimala has confused with loa (legacy ob bhaal) that is a difficulty mode, not a phase of the game.
    :D.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    But ToB does have another Shadow Dragon now, waiting in Rasaad's quest line.
    Angulimalagorgonzola
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    and it is in soa, not in tob (throne af bhaal) that @Angulimala has confused with loa (legacy ob bhaal) that is a difficulty mode, not a phase of the game.
    :D.

Confused is my baseline. Looking forward to trying out the mustard jelly tricks, the cloak of sewers silliness, and bashing heads with...Aerie, queen of cheese?
    gorgonzola
    By the way, I wrote here recently that the dragon is protected from the effects of arcane red/blue fireshields, but this is not quite right (as you can clearly see in the gif, just several posts above). Just when I checked the 'jelly vs. shadow dragon' combination, i, of course, 'irradiated' mustard jelly with fireshields. And in this case, fireshields do not work. Рrobably because of the specific combination of dragon and jelly sprites? Who knows...

So I am sorry for misinformation, I'm not on purpose :)
    @kotophey some confusion is forgivable when playing with irradiated jellies, it happens
    kotophey
    @Angulimala and others.

I laughed straight to tears! Thanks guys, I always happy to communicate with people with a sense of humor!
    Angulimalagorgonzola
    But ToB does have another Shadow Dragon now, waiting in Rasaad's quest line.

Ah HA! I knew I'd seen it mentioned somewhere.