Skip to content

Viconia Romance Question [spoilers]

During Viconia's first romance convo in chapter 10 (the one where she asks about Khalid's devotion to Jaheira), is the player supposed to speak up there or tell Viconia that there is "no one special?" Viconia would seem the type who likes someone that plays hard to get, so im guessing the latter, but i know that those responses close off the romances with the other characters, so i wanted to double-check with anyone who has gone through it

Comments

• InconnuInconnu Member Posts: 99
    Kogorn said:

During Viconia's first romance convo in chapter 10 (the one where she asks about Khalid's devotion to Jaheira), is the player supposed to speak up there or tell Viconia that there is "no one special?" Viconia would seem the type who likes someone that plays hard to get, so im guessing the latter, but i know that those responses close off the romances with the other characters, so i wanted to double-check with anyone who has gone through it

All the potential romance companions in SoD offer a similar dialogue; despite her nature, to progress in her romance, you need to tell her you aren't interested in anyone else. A lot of things in this expansion are linear, and I imagine there wasn't really room to play the whole coy angle with some of the characters that would normally be responsive to that sort of thing.

Also note that none of the romances in this game affect those in BG2EE (at least in the current version).
    BanArd
  • KogornKogorn Member Posts: 104
    Inconnu said:

Kogorn said:

All the potential romance companions in SoD offer a similar dialogue; despite her nature, to progress in her romance, you need to tell her you aren't interested in anyone else. A lot of things in this expansion are linear, and I imagine there wasn't really room to play the whole coy angle with some of the characters that would normally be responsive to that sort of thing.

Also note that none of the romances in this game affect those in BG2EE (at least in the current version).
    So in other words, you need to pick the response option that says you're interested in her, even if she calls you an idiot for doing so? :P
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    How can you romance Viconia when her romance clearly starts off in BG2?
    Kogorn said:

Inconnu said:

Kogorn said:

So in other words, you need to pick the response option that says you're interested in her, even if she calls you an idiot for doing so? :P
    Correct.
  • FeilakasFeilakas Member Posts: 49
    Wait what??? First off, like Rawgrim said, it'd take a master wordsmith to introduce a Viconia Romance in SoD when the romance clearly started in BG2.

Furthermore, the reason Viconia's was my favorite romance by far was BECAUSE it was counter-intuitive at first glance. I specifically remember my hormone-fueled teenager self especially appreciating how at the very beginning I could sleep with her and that automatically killed the romance.

Damn, I hope the writers did justice to this one...
    FenrirWolfganger
    edited April 2016
    Feilakas said:

Wait what??? First off, like Rawgrim said, it'd take a master wordsmith to introduce a Viconia Romance in SoD when the romance clearly started in BG2.

Furthermore, the reason Viconia's was my favorite romance by far was BECAUSE it was counter-intuitive at first glance. I specifically remember my hormone-fueled teenager self especially appreciating how at the very beginning I could sleep with her and that automatically killed the romance.

Damn, I hope the writers did justice to this one...

BG2 needs editing now. Since Viconia barely recognizes the player in BG2 when they meet. And she never once indicates any hint of a romance or friendship prior to the game. She even talks about what she did before coming to Amn. Which is now kind of not true, since she was with the PC doing the Dragonspear expansion. They should have used Branwen instead. No conflict.
  • KogornKogorn Member Posts: 104
    I imagine that, once the dust settles and SOD's bugs get fixed, Beamdog will try to make some tweaks to further integrate all the enhanced edition content together. I'm keeping my fingers crossed at least.
    rjmacreadySouthpaw
  • rjmacreadyrjmacready Member Posts: 91
    @Kogorn I agree with that. The original versions still exist so personally I dont see why it couldnt be done considering the EEs are a different version, but I should imagine there are dozens of worthless legal rules as to why it cant be so.

I just hope we get some more BG2 content where beamdog definitely can address such things.

Rawgrim said:

BG2 needs editing now. Since Viconia barely recognizes the player in BG2 when they meet. And she never once indicates any hint of a romance or friendship prior to the game. She even talks about what she did before coming to Amn. Which is now kind of not true, since she was with the PC doing the Dragonspear expansion. They should have used Branwen instead. No conflict.

No it doesnt. Its 99% friendship 1% mild romantic gesture at the end. If anything it just lays the foundation in BG2 as to why she is so open with you.

Viconia doesnt "barely recognize" you in BG2, she manages to pick your face out of a baying lynch mob when shes seconds away from being burnt alive. That says a lot.

Likewise one of the first things she calls you on rescuing her is abbil, literally the closest thing in the Drow language that can be said to mean "friend".

Its not perfect by any stretch but in terms of character it handles things pretty darn well.

The biggest issue is the same for all npcs which is why nobody wants to mention the massive events that take place right at the end but as I understand beamdogs hands are tied there.
    She says friend because you rescued her. Plain and simple. And she recognizes the player from the Beregost event. Her later conversations expands on this. But that is it. Absolutely no indication that she has ever been friendly with the player before. They should have swapped her for Branwen in SoD. No conflict.
    edited April 2016
    She says friend because youre potentially the closest thing to a friend shes had since her brother. Plain and simple. And she recognizes the player because shes potentially travelled with them the entirity of BG1. Thats it. Absolutely no indication shes ever been unfriendly with the player before. They made the right choice in keeping her in. No conflict.

Viconia is an undisputed series favourite. Branwen is a BG1 cleric who appears in the tutorial for BG2. Its a no brainer who to pick.

What youre arguing applies to every single character.

I butchered Edwin in Nashkel with Minsc and Dynaheir. His appearance made no sense. And yet it made total sense at the same time too if only I played differently.
    illathidThacoBellFenrirWolfganger

She says friend because youre potentially the closest thing to a friend shes had since her brother. Plain and simple. And she recognizes the player because shes potentially travelled with them the entirity of BG1. Thats it. Absolutely no indication shes ever been unfriendly with the player before. They made the right choice in keeping her in. No conflict.

Viconia is an undisputed series favourite. Branwen is a BG1 cleric who appears in the tutorial for BG2. Its a no brainer who to pick.

What youre arguing applies to every single character.

I butchered Edwin in Nashkel with Minsc and Dynaheir. His appearance made no sense. And yet it made total sense at the same time too if only I played differently.

Edwin could have been resurrected. There is a temple in Nashkel. That one can at least be plausible.
    Given that the game couldn't import choices etc, just your level and stats, this was the best way they could do it at the time.

Actually Viconia is pretty unfriendly towards the player all through BG 1, if her comments are anything to go by. She only agrees with you if you are evil and get a low reputation.

Nothing in Viconia's conversations indicate that they have ever had a growing friendship before. It is quite clearly just starting up right there. Her calling him "friend" after he saves her from being burned to death is a form of thankfulness.
    Rawgrim said:

Actually Viconia is pretty unfriendly towards the player all through BG 1, if her comments are anything to go by. She only agrees with you if you are evil and get a low reputation.

Nothing in Viconia's conversations indicate that they have ever had a growing friendship before. It is quite clearly just starting up right there. Her calling him "friend" after he saves her from being burned to death is a form of thankfulness.

Even in BG1 with what little character they have she is remarkably friendly. If you dismiss her without letting your reputation getting too high she is incrdibly amicable and actually tells you to take care of yourself.

All Ill say isn that outside of Imoen Minsc and Jaheira because of their start in BG2 Viconia joins Edwin as part of the mainstay cast of the entire Baldurs Gate video game saga and her appearance and friendship in SoD mirrors that. Just as I can kill Edwin you can not befriend Viconia. The game ignores both these decisions however. Thats all there is to it.
    ThacoBellFenrirWolfganger
    How does Viconia manage to actually live on that farm when she has only a week or less to do it? Travel time to and from Beregost halves that time. So she runs down to the farm as fast as she can. Stays there for 2 days. Kills the farmers and runs back to Baldur's Gate. That is called a visit. Not living there.
    A lot of the party members you pick up in BG2 (besides Minsc, Jaheira, and Imoen) have lines like "hey, aren't you supposed to be dead?" or "didn't I kill you?" when you first meet them. Most of them just respond with something along the lines of "yes, but I'm all better now". But still, you can establish some incredulity at their presence if you wish.
    FenrirWolfganger
    edited April 2016
    Rawgrim said:

How does Viconia manage to actually live on that farm when she has only a week or less to do it? Travel time to and from Beregost halves that time. So she runs down to the farm as fast as she can. Stays there for 2 days. Kills the farmers and runs back to Baldur's Gate. That is called a visit. Not living there.

Her exact quote is "I made the attempt", not "I settled down for a while". The whole point of the story is to show that Viconia wanted to find peace somewhere and before she even had a chance to do that she trusted in someone and was betrayed for it. I expect the entire ordeal from purchasing the land to being forced to flee lasted not more than a tenday or so. Which funnily enough is perfectly within an acceptable timeframe considering it takes as longer than that between chapters in SoD for travelling from camp to camp.
    illathidThacoBellFenrirWolfganger
  • fbencefbence Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone have a complete set of romance dialogues with Viconia for SoD? I didn't manage to get anywhere with her that could be called romantic :D Also, does somebody know the corresponding global variables? This thread is pretty much the only info out there on Viconia's romance in SOD
    FenrirWolfganger
    I actually realized I kind of know how to get a look at the variables and I found some for viconia

cxwlvyb5mpjl.png

I'm guessing this means there are four romance talks, and I rushed through the game without resting enough?
    Did a little more digging, and it seems that the romance1,2 etc get added as they come because earlier save games didn't have 4. Also, the special2 timer seems to be the same in all my saves. Does anybody know what that is?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    rjmacready wrote: »

Her exact quote is "I made the attempt", not "I settled down for a while". The whole point of the story is to show that Viconia wanted to find peace somewhere and before she even had a chance to do that she trusted in someone and was betrayed for it. I expect the entire ordeal from purchasing the land to being forced to flee lasted not more than a tenday or so. Which funnily enough is perfectly within an acceptable timeframe considering it takes as longer than that between chapters in SoD for travelling from camp to camp.

i know this is from 3 years ago but. there is a year between sod and bg 2. there is plently of time for viconia to have the farm event and get to amn.
    ThacoBellFenrirWolfganger
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    megamike15 wrote: »

i know this is from 3 years ago but. there is a year between sod and bg 2. there is plently of time for viconia to have the farm event and get to amn.

Do we have official end date for SoD and start date for SoA? Not only do I remember your parmy members assuming you were captured fairly recently and getting tortured for a year seems harsh in any case :(
    DJKajuru
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Ammar wrote: »

Do we have official end date for SoD and start date for SoA? Not only do I remember your parmy members assuming you were captured fairly recently and getting tortured for a year seems harsh in any case :(

Not really,but I remember that the whole BG1 Shabang happened during a year ,and the events of SoA happen the year after that.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    DJKajuru wrote: »

Not really,but I remember that the whole BG1 Shabang happened during a year ,and the events of SoA happen the year after that.

I remember there being about a year between the two games as well. From the narration at the start of SoA I think it would feel best if most of that year was between BG 1 and SoD, not SoD and SoA.
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,054
    fbence wrote: »
    Did a little more digging, and it seems that the romance1,2 etc get added as they come because earlier save games didn't have 4. Also, the special2 timer seems to be the same in all my saves. Does anybody know what that is?

I can research this and let you know.
    fbence
    Skitia wrote: »

I can research this and let you know.

I would be super happy, thanks!
    [

This is the best I could find: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/65246/timeline-of-the-bg-iwd-nwns-and-planescape-games

1368 DR: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (game, novel)
    1368 DR: Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear (DLC)
    1369 DR: Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition (game, novels)
    DJKajuruFenrirWolfganger
    edited March 2019
    @fbence . The special2 timer controls a one liner that appears in the Coalition camp, and general outdoor areas.

When it expires, Viconia will say a line, it may be about how beautiful the night is in a general area, or it might be how she doesn't like how allies are looking at her in the coalition camp.

Also, there are six Viconia Romance Talks, not 4.
    DJKajuruFenrirWolfganger
    Thanks! That means I didn't manage to get beyond 4, probably rushed it a bit ... And do we know how these trigger if there are no timers for it? I tried waiting days in places and nothing happened ...
    I upgraded my Infinity Engine skills. I haven't been able to figure out where exactly the triggers are implemented, but the text of the 5th implies that we need to get fatigued.
    FenrirWolfganger
    edited March 2019
    They may be area triggered (The sixth one is most certainly area triggered). So you should just keep playing as normal and it should come up.
    FenrirWolfganger