Skip to content

Something strange is going on with my proficiencies, here...

BlomdorBlomdor Member Posts: 26
Hi-ho hello, people.

I'm playing with a custom-made party that has been imported from a finished game of BG1EE. The only mods I am using are SCS and some components of the Tweaks Anthology, none of which should be messing with weapon proficiencies at all, as far as I know. I've also double-checked my BG1EE final save, and they all seem to be perfectly normal for everyone there.

Yet now, after a while of playing through BG2EE, I have noticed, well, this.
jq9rc1wbly12.bmp

t5toz9wsbfg8.bmp

Suffice to say, it seems that somewhere along the line between defeating Sarevok and being captured by Irenicus, my cleric/illusionist has achieved grandmastery in...nothing?

All six members of my party are affected in the same way, with proficiency points mysteriously hanging out where they very obviously should not be, apparently unassigned to anything in particular. They're just...floating there. I have no idea if they are actually affecting my characters in any way, or if it's just a glitch in their displayed stats. Hopefully it's the latter. Either way, I figured it might be worth posting about here in case anyone has any thoughts or if it's a known bug that I simply failed to find mention of via searching.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    its probably a mod bug, if you can do a complete fresh install with no mods and see if you get the same problem

if you dont get the same problem with an unmodded game, then you know its one of your mods

so with that being said install your mods one at a time ( if you can ) and then you can specifically see which mod is causing the problem
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Blomdor can you share your Weidu.log file, please?

It should be located at your game's folder.

Maybe you'll need to rename it from .log to .txt (or zip it) to be able to attach it here.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    I have seen it in my games too. But over longer periods of playing, I have never noticed anything strange happening with those characters. So I just ignored it.
  • BlomdorBlomdor Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2019
    Oof. Starting fresh, eh? Not a big deal, really; I haven't progressed all that far and have spent most of my play time either messing around with picking pockets or just refreshing my memory of where everything is in Athkatla. It's been a couple of years, though I played through the game more times than I can recall when I was younger.

Anyway, roger that, big armored dude :p . I appreciate the (correction) three of you answering! Wasn't expecting such a quick response. It's late over here, so I likely won't finish the full works of reinstalling the game and messing with mods until tomorrow, and there's a further complication to the mess that I'll have to work with...

I went back to my earliest save, and as it turns out, there doesn't seem to be any issue with the displayed proficiencies of my party members there. Something must have happened between then and now to cause this. I would assume it showed up after gaining a level, but that's just my best guess. If that's the case, then I'll have to gain enough experience to level up in a fresh game in order to see if the bug reappears then.
    Post edited by Blomdor on
    sarevok57
    D'oh! Missed your reply there, @Raduziel . Sorry about that! Weidu log is here.
    Raduziel
    I can't open the file on my phone, but I'll do it later when I'm in front of the computer.

@Blomdor , you can speed up the test by using the Console Commands and giving XP to your party through that tool.
  • WormkingWormking Member Posts: 60
    Its probably from scs. I had the same problem and the only mod I'm using is scs
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Wormking wrote: »
    Its probably from scs. I had the same problem and the only mod I'm using is scs
    Some mods use some of the proficiency stats to keep track of other things, but don't update the string reference for it's display name, so the UI displays them without one. Though it would still display them under proficiency (or weapon styles).
    Well, I've yet to reproduce the bug after starting fresh, even when using the exact same mod setup. Enabled the console, gave everyone enough experience to gain levels and proficiencies, and still everything always seems to remain normal now. Huh. I wonder what I did to screw things up before? Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on my stats in case it comes up again. I saw no evidence that it was actually affecting the performance of my characters, but it was bugging me. (hoohoohaImadeafunny)

Thanks, everyone.
    edited April 2019
    Well, now. This is interesting.

I'm sorry for doubleposting, but I'd like to record this here if that's alright, in case anyone else runs into this odd little bug. The stranded pips are added to the stat sheets of my characters whenever I equip an enchanted weapon, and their number is the same as the enchantment level of that item. Having my cleric/illusionist wield the Staff of Rhynn +4, for example, causes exactly 4 of them to appear there, and unequipping the staff removes them. Strange!

I'm not restarting over it this time, as there's nothing I can see to indicate that these phantom pips have any actual effects, but I do hope it's not indicative of more serious issues to come due to my messing up the game somehow.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @subtledoctor Sure thing, doc.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Blomdor
    Maybe @DavidW himself can share some thoughts?
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Sure.

I wrote the first version of SCSII (the BG2 version of SCS, before I merged them into one mod) in 2007, at which point there was a reasonably stable set of conventions as to which stats/proficiencies were used for what in Detectable Spells. I don't remember where those conventions came from, but I decided I needed one stat to use to detect weapon enchantment, and CLERIC_HALLOW (if I remember correctly) was used only for some new spell introduced in some then-current mod, and seemed unimportant. Hence it got repurposed for WEAPON_ENCHANTMENT. I wrote a new version of DS around the same time, which is the ancestor of the current one (various people including Ardanis and myself have done rewrites subsequently).

I'm not 100% sure how WEAPON_ENCHANTMENT got into IWDEE, but Beamdog used DS in various places (it's in SoD, in particular) and possibly it was installed at some point in the IWDEE development cycle.

The displayed proficiency is a bug, of course; something to do with the UI displaying even unused proficiencies. I'll have a look and see what can be done about it. (It's purely cosmetic.)
    ZaghoulBlomdorGusindaRaduziel
    I yam honored! Thank you so much, everyone, and to DavidW for writing a groundbreaking and thoroughly amazing mod, without which, to me and I am certain to a great many others, the trilogy would hardly be the same. You're all legends.

Salute

It is good to be able to lay to rest any worries that this odd little glitch effects anything aside from how the stat sheet looks. As long as my cleric/illusionist isn't running around with grandmastery when she shouldn't, or any other such wonky weirdness, then it's easy enough to just ignore.