Skip to content

Stuck in De'Arnise Stronghold Questline

I've got to the point where I accepted the priest of Tempus, but now the quest is stuck. It's been more than 50 days since then, but Lord Roenall hasn't appeared. I could check/modifiy the related global variables with EEKeeper, if I knew what they were. Any help?

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Spawn the keep messenger with C:CreateCreature("kprunn01"). If he doesn't talk to you, use C:SetGlobal("keepplot","global",4).
    SkatanMarte1980Gorion88
  • Marte1980Marte1980 Member Posts: 8
    Finally, that worked! Thanks!

I didn't even need the 2nd command, since after spawning the messenger, he came to speak to me, which means the questline was alright, but the messenger wasn't spawning and it seems that without the messenger spawning first, the majordomo keeps saying that there's nothing new, so basically, if the messenger doesn't spawn, the questline hangs.

Can you tell me which files do I need to check to see which global variables are involved in which quest and what values do they need to have and the related events (like the spawning of a messenger). I mean, if something similar happens again in some other stage of this quest or some other quest, where do I need to look to see what's supposed to happen that is not happening? For example, where did you find the info about the global keepplot and that it neede to be at value 4 and about the messenger(kprunn01)?
    joluv
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Marte1980 don't forget that some events only triggers when you are away from the keep, so resting inside it may block the advance of the quest.
    ThacoBell
    @Raduziel I've never rested inside the keep. To advance the days I've rested in Athkatla, in the Umar Hills, outside the Watcher's Keep and outside the De'Arnise keep.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Marte1980 A glitch indeed, then :)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Sometimes when I go back to the keep, the Majordomo has a quest ready for me, even if the messenger never came. You could try just going to speak to him.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Marte1980 wrote: »
    Can you tell me which files do I need to check to see which global variables are involved in which quest and what values do they need to have and the related events (like the spawning of a messenger). I mean, if something similar happens again in some other stage of this quest or some other quest, where do I need to look to see what's supposed to happen that is not happening? For example, where did you find the info about the global keepplot and that it neede to be at value 4 and about the messenger(kprunn01)?

Using NearInfinity, I did a CRE search for "keep messenger," then looked at the associated DLG file to see the trigger condition.
    Marte1980
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Sometimes when I go back to the keep, the Majordomo has a quest ready for me, even if the messenger never came. You could try just going to speak to him.
    Like I said in a previous post, "... but the messenger wasn't spawning and it seems that without the messenger spawning first, the majordomo keeps saying that there's nothing new, so basically, if the messenger doesn't spawn, the questline hangs."

joluv wrote: »
    Marte1980 wrote: »

Using NearInfinity, I did a CRE search for "keep messenger," then looked at the associated DLG file to see the trigger condition.
    Thanks, I'll have to look into CRE files and learn how they're structured. I've done some item, spell and .2da modding, but I've never done that with CRE files. That will have to change! (Well, hopefully not, since I'd prefer to have no other similar problems, but ...)
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    The messenger probably spawned, but you left before he had a chance to talk to you.
    Raduziel
    edited April 2019
    The messenger probably spawned, but you left before he had a chance to talk to you.
    I actually tried to wait at least 10 seconds before leaving a map after having rested, just to prevent that problem from happening. Obviously, though, I can't be certain that this hasn't happened anyway.

P.S. Sorry for the late reply!
  • Gorion88Gorion88 Member Posts: 10
    joluv wrote: »
    Spawn the keep messenger with C:CreateCreature("kprunn01"). If he doesn't talk to you, use C:SetGlobal("keepplot","global",4).

Thank you, this worked for me.

I wish to also say that I had this issue and when I created kprunn01 then the quest continued. He must have spawned somewhere and I escaped him before he had a chance to catch me - I wonder if I do bump into him if that would glitch things up with the stronghold quest (seeing as there are two of them now)?

I did a GetGlobal for keepplot and it was indeed already on 4 so it does seem like this was the issue.
    joluv
  • WordeWorde Member Posts: 2
    Very sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you ...

"Spawn the keep messenger with C:CreateCreature("kprunn01")."

I'm using a Mac
  • ber5nie5ber5nie5 Member Posts: 424
    The keep messenger spawns at various points in the questline.

Sorry, I know this isn't the answer you are looking for. I have no idea how to make the keep messenger spawn via a console command.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    In order to use that debug command, you have to activate the console first. Find Baldur.lua over where the saves are; normally, this will be Documents/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition.

Then open that file up (it's a plain text file full of code, so a text editor is suitable) and add the following line:
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1')
    Once you have that, it's Control-Option-Space to bring up the console, at which point you can type stuff like that command in.

The messenger stuff ... actually, based on my experience, the most common issue is that the block to spawn him gets interrupted and only partially executes. So the variable for "he's spawned already, don't do it again" gets set, but he doesn't actually spawn. The traces show up in a save file; if this happened, there's an invisible "BDOFFSCR" creature on some map where the messenger was supposed to spawn. That creature would normally be despawned by later actions in the same block that spawned it, but the interruption leaves it in place.
  • WordeWorde Member Posts: 2
    @jmerry Thank you for your detailed explanation! I don't think I have the skills to do what you described, however I've pretty sure my sister does!

Greatly appreciate your assistance!
  • ber5nie5ber5nie5 Member Posts: 424
    I'm glad you got the help you were seeking. B)

Welcome to the forum and have fun adventuring! B)