Skip to content

Spells You Never Use

MikeMastersMikeMasters Member Posts: 141
I always seem to stick with the same old spells, having played both games countless times I realise that there are spells ive never even used! Most of these spells I never used seem to be quite low level, Which spells am I missing out on guys?

Grease is a spell I can honestly say ive never used or seen used against me for instance, same for Glitterdust.

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Cloudkill - I'm hopeless with area effect spells and always end up hitting my own party with them so Cloudkill is definitely out.
  • AldericAlderic Member Posts: 37
    Glitterdust can actually be quite useful, you should try it in battles when you have invisible assassins going for the backstab.

There are plenty of spells I don't use either. For example - the 5-th level elemental summoning mage spells. They have a chance that the summon will turn against you and priests can summon elementals without that setback. Just not worth the memorization space for me.
  • alannahsmithalannahsmith Member Posts: 143
    As strange as it is I have never used time stop. By the time I am able to use that spell I would rather save that slot for wail of the banshee or a level 10 spell.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    Flesh to stone and timestop from the top of my head.
  • MikeMastersMikeMasters Member Posts: 141
    @alannahsmith wail of the banshee is something ive not really used, which situations do you find it most useful?
    @ekster I was never keen on flesh to stone because you wouldn't get the experience or the dropped items im guessing?
  • XanthulXanthul Member Posts: 57
    Things I never use:

Anything that can potentially destroy loot (disintegrate, flesh to stone, prismatic spray, cone of cold....)

Spell Triggers, I can't be bothered preparing them everyday and wasting a precious higher level slot

All level 9 spells except Time Stop
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    edited October 2012
    I use none of the summoning spells (except in BG1, but even then I would only bother with them sparingly), least of all the elemental ones as mentioned by @Alderic.
    Of course the exception to the rule are Devas. Furthermore the Web + Spider Spawn combination does seem pretty cool; I might try it some time.

And then of course there is the timeless Ultravision spell, as used by nobody in the history of anything and anywhere ^^
  • ryu1ryu1 Member Posts: 76
    After the 1st time I played BG1 & 2, I decided to use spells which I didn't use such as Doom, Blind, Resist Fire/Cold etc. It was a lot of fun to use these 'new' spells. I think that ALL spells are great and effective - it just depends on the situation and the type of character (i.e. offensive mage would likely have high-damage spells and not spells like Sleep or Grease).
  • alannahsmithalannahsmith Member Posts: 143
    @MikeMasters I like AOE spells because most of the good ones don't effect your party. IE: wail of the banshee, horrid wilting, death spell, etc.

@ekster I was never keen on flesh to stone because you wouldn't get the experience or the dropped items im guessing?

Yeah, you lose all the loot. And I just find the spell a bit boring to play with. I like to see my enemies squirm and try to run away when near death... only to be finished off by my halfling with a sling!
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    I avoid almost any spells that require my mage to touch the target. I'd rather have him/her stay back and fire off long range spells.
    so has anyone actually used Grease as I always fill up lvl1 with identify and magic missles
    I like grease when fighting in small spaces with minions and equip everyone with slings and bows with plain ammo. Makes for good target practice.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Tanthalas said:

Spells that I have never even considered memorizing include:

- Infravision
    - Know alignment
    - Detect Evil

I wouldn't memorise Detect Evil but I use it a lot when I am playing a paladin and you get it as an innate ability. For one thing it gives you far too much information. You cast the spell before going into a new area and you won't only be told what evil creatures await you but also if there are any creatures with magic resistance lurking nearby. Handy if there happens to be an Adamantite Golem around the corner.
  • waardeniuswaardenius Member Posts: 58
    The vast majority, in fact. Every spell level has a couple of basically useless spells, and at least half of them doesn't suit my playstyle.

All the touch spells as well as all the enchanted weapons I find particulary mystifing.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @waardenius

I actually used Flame Blade to kill trolls.
    whats the one spell you never used for a long time, then one day tried it and fell inlove? for me it has to be melfs meteors
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Prismatic spray and grease nearly useless. At low levels you've got better options, such as sleep or web, and later on evryone else is immune...
  • ryu1ryu1 Member Posts: 76
    I guess for me it would be the Goodberry spell :)
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432

Cloudkill - I'm hopeless with area effect spells and always end up hitting my own party with them so Cloudkill is definitely out.

The only time I've used that (so far) was

dealing with the Cult in BGII, I actually used a wand rather than the spell, had Aerie sneak into the room with the mindflayers (invisible, hasted and brain drain protected up to the eyeballs) unleashed the spell and leg it, slamming the door behind her! It worked too.

But generally I'm useless with those area spells too, I always end up entangled, or stuck in a web because I end up with my party too close when I cast. I think I'll have to change my tactics a bit to use them.

• AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    edited October 2012
    For spells through level 4 that I never use:

Blindness
    Chill Touch
    Infravision
    Reflected Image
    Shocking Grasp

Deafness
    Ghoul Touch
    Luck
    Power Word, Sleep
    Ray of Enfeeblement

Clairvoyance
    Detect Illusion
    Hold Undead
    Minor Spell Deflection
    Non-Dection
    Spell Thrust

Confusion
    Contagion
    Enchanted Weapon
    Farsight
    Polymorph Other
    Secret Word

Detect Evil
    Magic Stone
    Shillelagh

Good Berries
    Know Alignment
    Silence 15' Radius
    Spiritual Hammer

Glyph of Warding
    Hold Animal
    Miscast Magic
    Rigid Thinking
    Strength of One
    Unholy Blight (not Holy Smite which is great)

Cloak of Fear
    Farsight

Any cause wound spells other than Hurt.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Tanthalas said:

@waardenius

I actually used Flame Blade to kill trolls.

Me too, super useful in the Nalia quest when you're short on flame & acid arrows.

whats the one spell you never used for a long time, then one day tried it and fell inlove? for me it has to be melfs meteors

Teleport Field. Never really used it and then found it is really, really useful against melee opponents.

Melf's Meteors is great.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806

so has anyone actually used Grease as I always fill up lvl1 with identify and magic missles

Grease is nice when a low-level party fights monsters that hit hard and can easily kill low-level characters if they get too close like ogre berserkers, especially grouped together (often with ogres and half-ogres): cast grease where you know they are, then step forward and you can pepper them while they struggle to get to you, taking the ones that make it through the greasy stuff in ones or twos with my tanks (usually Ajantis and Branwen).

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    A spell I never use is non-detection: such a waste of a third level slot. Yet I absolutely love the cloak of non-detection, but 3rd level slots are just too valuable for a spell that's just a support spell for another spell - and a lower level one at that (invisibility).
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    These less popular spells should have been more used by enemies - an enemy mage who casts deafness or polyphorm other would be interesting.
    DJKajuru said:

These less popular spells should have been more used by enemies - an enemy mage who casts deafness or polyphorm other would be interesting.

Interesting, but even easier to beat. Now if they started flinging webs, stinking clouds, etc. then that would start getting both interesting and deadly for the party.