Skip to content

Selling items to stores and NPC conflicts?

Hey all, its me again.

I have another couple of quick questions.

1) Which store has the best prices for me to sell my loot to during Chapter 2? I've been stockpiling a lot of my loot, I want to buy that Defender of Easthaven flail for my CHARNAME.

2) I am waiting for Dorn, Edwin, and Hexxat missions to trigger. I've killed the wedding for Dorn, got the Nether Scroll for Edwin, and freed the "real" Hexxat who said she's waiting for a mission from "L". I have Jan, so that only leaves 1 slot open for other NPC's to do their recruit and companion missions. I have no idea how long I have to wait to finish Dorn, Edwin, and Hexxat's companion quest lines.

My question is, which NPC's will not conflict with Dorn, Edwin, and Hexxat so they won't try to murder each other?

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited April 2019
    about the shop it does not matter. any shop in the game buy and sell at the same price, the price is set in the item itself. but there are 3 modifiers to the price.
    1. if the shopkeeper has already in inventory a similar item the price is reduced. let's say that you want to sell 4 swords +1 and the shop has not swords +1. he will pay 180 gp (i don't use the correct values, is only an example...). but if you sell him 1 of the swords then he has the item in the inventory so will pay only 150 gp the other ones. so give all the items of the same kind to a toon, find a shop that has not that item, and sell them all at once.
    2. charisma affect the price, not charname's one, the one of the party member that is at the top, more charisma he has better prices you get, both selling and buying. hint: there is a ring that set char to 18 and a cloak that gives a further +2, let's have the toon at the top equip them.
    3. reputation affect the price, the higher it is the better. as you are running an evil party probably you will never have super good prices, but managing to not go to low with rep you can limit the damage.

about the other question i NEVER play evil, i hate dorn edwin and hexxat with all my hearth and if possible when i find them in game i kill them, so i can not answer as i never did their quests. is since the year 2000 that i keep killing the bas**** red mage of thay :)
    but if i would have know the answer i would gladly have give it to you as i believe in the freedom of the players to have fun as they like, for me is almost physically impossible to play evil, if you like it have fun :)

ot ( spoiler warning about edwin's quest)
    probably the next run i will recruit for the very first time edwin, but only to do the trademeet quest when he is edwina so a statue of edwina will be created, then i will turn edwina to stone in the wakeen promenade so i will expose to 2 towns the fact that he has changed sex, thing that he hates. the 2 statues will remain a long time to show to people what happens to an evil red wizard of thay when he mess up in his arrogant way whit a good oriented charname ;):D
    Alonso
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    I don't play evil seither, but my best bet would be Viconia?

@gorgonzola I sense a deeper... hatred there. Do you want to talk about it? :D
    @jastey why not?
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    Charisma does not affect how much money you get. It only affects how much money you spend.

Also, you forgot to mention the level 1 spell Friends, which combined with items is an easy way to get a score of 25, so long as you avoid casting it where the Cowled Wizards would attack you for it.
    gorgonzola
  • VeristekVeristek Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2019
    I remember in Dragonspear, I could sell items for much more money to a genie merchant in the Coalition Camp compared to other merchants. I could sell a Star Sapphire for 600, Diamond for 300, and Rogue Stone for 1500 to other merchants in the camp, while the genie would offer 1600 for Star Sapphire, 800 for Diamond, and 4000 for Rogue Stone if I sold these to him. I had exact same reputation and charisma when talking to the merchants and genie, and they're all in the same map at the same time / chapter.

I could get triple as much money selling my loot to that genie than to the other merchants.

Is there any merchants like this in BG 2 during Chapter 2? If I can get triple selling rates, it would help me get that Defender of Easthaven flail and a couple other goodies all the sooner.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    @jastey why not?

Sorry, I was trying to by funny. That was most definitely the most vivid description about what someone would like to do to an NPC I ever read. I didn't mean to offend.
    gorgonzola
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Viconia is a safe choice as she won't conflict with the others and doesn't have a personal quest as such (Dorn's quest can drag on and Hexxat's missions can come at awkward times so I always make sure I've completed those before heading to Brynnlaw).
    @Veristek my eyes have seen something about dragonspeer, game on which i don't want to be spoiled, so i immediately pointed my sight in an other direction.
    but i could not avoid to read some more words than that name. np anyway, i did not read enough to be spoiled. but maybe you are talking of a special merchant that makes better prices then the others.
    nothing like that happens in chap 2 and 3 of soa afaik

@jastey you did not :)
    Gorgonzola, no plot spoilers or anything in my post. Just a general area and comparing between regular and the one special merchant. That was it.

So I should just dump all my loot on a maerchant, since there's no special merchants that buy stuff from me for higher prices in early SoA?
    gorgonzola
    about the spoilers i did not imply that there was one, but i did not want to risk...
    about the merchants they all buy at the same price afaik, if you want to maximize the earning and have multiple not named items, let's say generic +1 swords, find a shop that does not have them in the inventory and sell them all at once. this mean to put them all in the backpack of a toon, select them all and then press the sell button. but there is not a great difference.
    what can make a great difference is to steal from shops, not from the adventurer's mart and a couple of other merchants where is not possible and not from the copper coronet merchant that needs a very high pick pocket score, but you can steal quite early valuable items, and later in trademeet you will find a merchant that has very good items, there stealing you can save probably 15 or 20k gp.
    to steal effectively you need a thief with some points in pick pocket, jan is perfect, to find the ring that improve stealing and to drink one of each of the 2 different potions that improve thieving score. some people drink many of the most powerful of the 2, as they stack, but imo is not good rp wise, as make pointless to invest in pickpocket for a thief. and obviously you need a savegame right before, or you will loose forever that merchant if you fail.

there are also ways to get a lot of money very early, but not at the first run, we can talk of it later if you wish....
    I have Hexxat with 190% base pickpocket. I poured all her points into that cuz I already have 100 find traps / 100 open locks with both Jan and Yoshimo.
    :D then go and profit...
    Any good pickpocket targets?
    all the soldiers of amn can drop high level scrolls, but is random.
    the merchant in trademeet, after the quest, a djinni in the same place before he disappear, ribald, not the inventory, he directly, for a ring of regeneration, the merchant in a shop in the dock area for a rogue stone and some other stuff, all the shops for scrolls, potions and enchanted ammo, maybe is possible to pick pocket tolgerias to have 2 rings of ram, but possibly now the exploit is closed, and terminsel, always pickpocket it, to get some +2 protection rings, every time he appear in the jaheira's quest has a new one. if also that has not been closed in ee. there is also a seller in some sewers that is easy to pickpoket and have good potions.
    there maybe be some more but at now i don't remember anything noticeable in chap 2-3, further in the game you visit other areas and find other merchants...
    you ask about stealing, not about selling what you steal so i shut up ;)
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    edited April 2019
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    about the shop it does not matter.

Every store has a fixed sell/buy markup. For the most part buy markup is pretty standardized (30) but a handful buy at better prices. Keep in mind that not all merchants buy all items.
    • Karthis El-Hezzar (60) - Wandering merchant you save in ToB
    • Waukeen Temples (55) - Only the temples in Saradush and Amketheran; the temples in Trademeet and the Gov't District don't buy items
    • Tankard Tree (55) - Saradush bar
    • Adventurer Mart (55) - Special stock only; his normal store buys at the regular rate
    • Temple of Rilifane, Temple of Sekolah (50) - Suldy and City of Caverns, respectively

The drow merchants in the Underdark buy at a slightly worse price, while the svirfniblin buy at a slightly better than average price.

edit: corrected Waukeenar temples listed
    Post edited by CamDawg on
    gorgonzola
    CamDawg, I'm still in Chapter 2 in SoA. Seems like I should offload everything at that temple in Trademeet, considering I picked up Cerrod and Rasaad there and doing their quests?
    Wait, I'm an idiot. The Waukeen temple in Trademeet doesn't buy items--I was looking at the wrong flag--so (for chapter two at least) it doesn't matter.
    @CamDawg i did not know it, or better i know only few of them, and certainly not the exact values.
    @Veristek yep, is the only shop of those named by CamDawg that you have access in chap 2 and 3, the others are later in soa or in tob
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @CamDawg Why did you not include the smugglers from Amkethran?
    @CamDawg Why did you not include the smugglers from Amkethran?

When they're leaving they sell items at a very favorable price, but their purchase prices are always standard (30).