Skip to content

BG:EE UI Scaling on Android

AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
I recently bought a Huawei T5 tablet with 1920×1200 screen resolution and I've installed BG:EE on it.

When I go into Options > Graphics and turn off UI scaling ("Scale User Interface"), the UI remains scaled up, even after I accept the changes. In fact, it doesn't seem to make a difference whether I turn UI scaling on or off, the UI remains scaled up and stretched out.

I would prefer to play the game with the UI unscaled, or at least try both ways before I decide which way I want to go.

Is this setting not working like it should on Android systems? What else can I try to do in order to turn UI scaling off?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Can you try to check the setting, close and relaunch the game to see if it's in effect.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    @JuliusBorisov Thanks for getting back to me. I tried restarting the game, as well as the device, but it doesn't make a difference. The UI remains scaled up in either state of the setting, even after restarting.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    So, heard back from the QA:

We tried on a device with the same resolution (but a markedly better cpu/gpu) and it worked as expected. We' recommend you to try restarting the game, and if that doesn't do it it may be something on your device's end. We'd recommend you to file an issue in Redmine so that we could investigate more fully.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Adul, try renaming the baldur.lua to keep as a backup and restart the game so that it creates a new one. Worth a try.

Gus
    @JuliusBorisov Have you guys tried it with the BG:EE blue marble UI, or the SoD obsidian UI?

I've just tested it with all the IE:EE games (except PST:EE, since it doesn't have the in-game option), and the only game where turning off UI scaling produced the expected results was Siege of Dragonspear. In all the other games (BG:EE, BGII:EE and IWD:EE) switching off scaling made no difference (even after a restart).

Here are some screenshots showing the difference between the unscaled SoD UI and the scaled BG:EE UI. The third image shows that UI scaling is turned off in BG:EE.
    amidavdlhhix.jpg
    pko2i82daw9y.jpg
    8nb0yspvqk3m.jpg

Please let me know whether this information has helped QA reproduce the issue. If not, I'll open up a ticket.
    edited February 2019
    Gusinda wrote: »
    @Adul, try renaming the baldur.lua to keep as a backup and restart the game so that it creates a new one. Worth a try.

Gus

@Gusinda Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried renaming the BG:EE Baldur.lua, but I got the same result afterward.

I've looked at all the Baldur.lua files for BG:EE, BGII:EE, SoD and IWD:EE with a text editor, and they all included the line:
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Scale UI','0')

• mojoswager1980mojoswager1980 Member Posts: 9
    i understand this really isnt what your asking but have you considered manually setting your device resolution via adb ? a rooted device could do it via terminal . the syntax after you have started the adb server adb shell rm size aaaxbbb (please note a = the width of device if held in portrait and b = the vertical) additionally the syntax rm density aaa sets pixel density and the command rm overscan aa,bb,cc,dd allows for overscan . rm size reset, rm density reset, and rm overscan reset return the device to its original settings . for example my note 4 has a stock display 2550x1440 which is rediculous given that its not even a 7 inch screen and its pixel density is 560 . i set the display to 540x960 and the pixel density to 160 . the defi ition decrease improved performance spectacularly . additionally and this has litterally nothing to do with the above but ui scaling on my devices accepts 0.1 increments so if it was 1.0 you can manually change to 0.9 but 0.95 is not recognized as a correct variable and does nothing . the best resolution change method however is gltools if your rooted it can increase resolution 400% on any device and can also do increments 0.01 but the app display wont stick . if u exit app and restart app crashes until incremental scale is corrected to match that of the built in ui scaler .
    @mojoswager1980 Thanks for the suggestion, but my tablet isn't rooted and I'm not very tech-savvy with Android. But it's okay as I don't really play much on Android anyway. I just figured if there's a bug I'd better report it.
  • mojoswager1980mojoswager1980 Member Posts: 9
    I apologize bud ! Somehow I drifted from the NWN:EE forum and may have incorrectly informed of you of UI settings . If this in anyway confused you, it is due to me not being where I thought I was . If you like Baldurs Gate and you havent tried Planescape, you dont know what your missing ! To this day that game stands out as such an original unique, title that I can honestly say it might be the best game BIOWARE ever did ! obviously thats arguable so Ill leave you with that opinion and find my way back to the neverwinter crowd.
    @mojoswager1980 Oh, that makes sense, there's no need to apologize! I have played Torment, it's one of my favorite games. Baldur's Gate is probably dearer to me because of the replayability it offers, but Torment is a masterpiece in its own right. It was made by Black Isle (same as Icewind Dale), not BioWare, though I can see how you'd make that mistake, as those two studios certainly had very similar styles back then. It was such a great time for us CRPG fans.