Skip to content

Paladin weapon prof beyond 2 handed

About to roll an Inquisitor as part of a multiplayer group. Beyond 2 handed sword and 2 handed style what do experienced players prefer to put your extra points into? What else is good for this kit to supplement before you have access to the Holy Avenger as obviously you are going to have more points. Thanks for the assistance.

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    I'd say either axes or maces to ensure access to a "disruption" weapon.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Warhammer.

Blunt damage and 25 STR
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Paladins also have a special bastard sword.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    You'll eventually want proficiencies in some blunt weapon and some ranged weapon. Mace is a great choice for fighting undead, and it'll allow you to go toe-to-toe with vampires while saving the Amulet of Power for a caster. My other top blunt choice would be flail. Shortbows and crossbows are usually considered the best options for ranged.

On the hammer and bastard sword suggestions: I'm generally against warriors putting early pips into hammer just for the sake of Crom Faeyr, as you get it very late in the game and it's better as an off-hand weapon. The special Paladin bastard sword is just a lesser version of the Holy Avenger. Especially since you can only upgrade one or the other, I don't think there's much point in planning to use both.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    katanas could also be a good choice,

i never use carsoymyr anymore with paladins ( i use the purifier instead ) so i use scimitars in bg1, katanas in bg2 and then bastard swords in ToB

but if you are going the two handed route, you could also skill yourself with other two handed weapons like quarter staff ( for all those times you need crushing weapons ) or halberd since they do the same damage as two handed swords, and in SoA there is actually quite a few of those kicking around, especially the halberd that deirde ( ? dont remember how to spell her name ) sells in the adventurer's mart, it gives +1 to STR and is +3, although i think it also gives a -1 to INT/WIS
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    My paladin prof choices are Maces/Hammers in BG1, and adding bastard swords in BG2. BG1 has a good amce early, and a really good hammer. the bastard swords gets me the purifier in ToB, and the m/h gets really good backup weapons and undead killers.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    billyc4236 wrote: »
    About to roll an Inquisitor as part of a multiplayer group.
    It really depends on what weapons will be available for you and what weapons will be given to the other players. It depends also if you plan to dw to maximize apr, thing that needs at least 2 pips in that style, better 3, so let you specialize in less weapons, or not.

The upgraded pally bastard sword in MH and Crom in OH is a very strong end game combo, giving you 25 str and +1apr compared with Carsomyr. Before Crom a +1apr oh weapon can be used, and is possible to go to WK and get the pally bastard sword in chap.2 soa, but do the party plan it?

To use a shield pips in sword and shield style are not really needed and a shield is useful when the pally has to tank and need the best ac he can get, but maybe in the party there is a dedicated tank and the inquisitor is more a damage dealer, antimage and flanker.

Among the 2h weapons some halberds are really good, but imo not as carsomir, i find staves more interesting in your case as ram grants a high damage, and crushing is useful in some situations. also spears are good, impaler give high damage and late game ixil can pin in place even the final tob boss. But personally i care more about power in early and mid game then about a super strong build that is useful in very few battles.

Dagger is really useful as ranged using the returning ones.

You should ask to your multiplayer group, not to us :), you should agree about what role each toon has to cover and what weapons will be used by each one.