Skip to content

Trilogy dual class proficiency help please ... having issues deciding 1st class proficiencies

LoomisLoomis Member Posts: 25
I want to make a full trilogy run with the following dual class ... yes I know there are way more optimized chars but this sounds fun to me ... instead of plain ole archer

So I want to make a Swashbuckler and dual him to fighter at level 11 for the extra trap poison damages ...

My dilemma is I want the end result once I gain my my thief levels back is a trap using short ow expert that dual wields behind tank when needed or just for change of pace from shortbow.

Main problem is I do not want to pick up two weapon fighting long swords or shortbow with my 4 proficiency slots I get while thief until 11 ... I want to go full bore on those when I start fighter levels

What would you use for proficiencies in bg1 and part of SOD for the swashbuckler to not be super gimped that will still be useful to this char build as mainly a fighter once I get thief skills back

I plan to use this char as only thief in a party of 6 through end of bg2 .. in bg1 it will be the assumed 6 char party ...

I was thinking for their skills ... pick locks - see traps - lay traps - see illusion ... not sure I'll have any left after that or am I thinking wrong here?

My roll is 94

I was thinking ... anywhere stats better served couldn't really think of any ?

Str - 18 ( 19 after tome )
Den - 18 ( 19 after tome )
Con - 18 ( 19 after tome )
Int - 15. ( 16 after tome )
Wis - 7 ( 10 after tomes )
Cha - 18 ( 19 after tomes )

Human
Male
Chaotic good
Swashy dual to fighter at 11

I play on iPad so do not have access to eekeeper or cheats if it matters

Took me days to get the 94 I wanted ... so do t want to waste the swashy proficiencies before clicking done

Thanks for any insights

REGARDS

Post edited by Loomis on
StummvonBordwehrgorgonzola

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I'd go with scimitar for sure. There are good scimitars in BG1 (especially if you're willing to kill Drizzt), and Belm (eventually SNT) is always useful in BG2. Crossbow would also be nice to have a pip in.

There's no reason to have CON that high, unless you care about getting slow regeneration after the Machine of Lum the Mad. Since your first 9+ levels aren't in a warrior class, there's no HP benefit to CON over 16.
    GusindaStummvonBordwehr
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @Loomis, I would go Staff or Club to get your blunt weapon proficiency out of the way and Daggers... they are always good to have around and gives you an option for ranged as well.

Gus
    joluv
  • LoomisLoomis Member Posts: 25
    joluv wrote: »
    I'd go with scimitar for sure. There are good scimitars in BG1 (especially if you're willing to kill Drizzt), and Belm (eventually SNT) is always useful in BG2. Crossbow would also be nice to have a pip in.

There's no reason to have CON that high, unless you care about getting slow regeneration after the Machine of Lum the Mad. Since your first 9+ levels aren't in a warrior class, there's no HP benefit to CON over 16.

Thanks for commenting ...

But would constitution not serve other purposes than early level hitpoints later in the game when I dual into fighter ?

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Loomis wrote: »

Thanks for commenting ...

But would constitution not serve other purposes than early level hitpoints later in the game when I dual into fighter ?

Not that I know of. What purposes did you have in mind?
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Constitution affects the following.
    - Early-level hitpoints
    - Regeneration for CON 20 and above
    - Saving throws if you're a "shorty" race
    - Intoxication per drink
    - Base fatigue

You're playing a Human, so the only change between 16 and 18 (or 19) would be 1 point of base fatigue and slightly different intoxication rate. Except in a very unconventional run (Never rest! Drink every time you see a Gnome!) those are not going to make any difference to gameplay.

It's *possible* that there's a CON stat check in some dialogue somewhere, but I've never heard of one, and even if there were one, it'd be unlikely to have a threshold above 16.
    StummvonBordwehrgorgonzola
    Constitution affects the following.
    - Early-level hitpoints
    - Regeneration for CON 20 and above
    - Saving throws if you're a "shorty" race
    - Intoxication per drink
    - Base fatigue

You're playing a Human, so the only change between 16 and 18 (or 19) would be 1 point of base fatigue and slightly different intoxication rate. Except in a very unconventional run (Never rest! Drink every time you see a Gnome!) those are not going to make any difference to gameplay.

It's *possible* that there's a CON stat check in some dialogue somewhere, but I've never heard of one, and even if there were one, it'd be unlikely to have a threshold above 16.

Interesting and cool

Not even sure what to do with all these points I rolled now lol
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    use the tomes for other npcs, npcs you want to carry trough all the game.
    wis is useful for clerics and mages (if you plan to use the wish spells)
    int is useful for mages, more chance to learn a spell from a scroll.
    con helps some npc with a low score of it.
    dex make the ac of some low dex fighters better and possibly make some casters better ranged attackers.

i never understand why some players want to concentrate all the boosts from tomes and the lum the mad machine on charname only, is way more effective to have an overall better party then a super charname.

94 is a really high roll, i would be happy with 10 less on average and some of my charnames have less then that. i also never use the maxed hp gain on level up. i think that it makes the game way more interesting.
    eventually i would lower the difficulty settings then buff hp and stats, but to each one his own style...

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    pips in weapon style before dualing are a good choice, a rogue can not have more then a pip in each weapon, so after he has a pip for mlee and one for ranged he is set to go.
    a pip in 2h weapons or in DW are good investments for the future, less pips that you will have to spend as fighter, letting you focus on getting GM in the chosen weapons earlier.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    18 DOES have one other benefit for non-warriors: they can use the Claw of Kazgaroth without losing HP.
    Anyways. Proficiencies. I'd put them in Quarterstaff, Shortsword, Dagger, and Crossbow. Quarterstaffs have the best speed factor and long range, so you can potentially hit and kite in melee, and Aule's Staff is always good for the early-mid game. Short sword's just kind of there to take up space, honestly. Dagger allows both throwing daggers and the Dagger of Venom for some mage takedowns, and Crossbow allows for the Crossbow of Speed as well as a good ranged option.
    joluv
    Thanks for everyone's input so far ... still have not decided for sure just have iPad plugged up sp I dont lose the roll ..

Trying to decide if I should just put 1 in daggers and 3 in two weapon fighting while a swashbuckler at first then as fighter focus on shortbow and longswords and a blunt with fighter until I get thief levels back then fill out dagger as well late

Main focus of my build will be ranged with a bow and longswords don't really like the vibe of crossbow so figure while getting thief levels back just use shortbow in back of my group try not to melee for a bit

Thought maybe that would waste as few of points as possible

Thoughts?