Skip to content

Spells You Never Use

Comments

• MikeMastersMikeMasters Member Posts: 141
    @AHF Silence is prob the only one on your list which I would normally use
    @Son_of_Imoen why are you such a big fan of cloak of non-detection in BG1? It works against detect invis? do enemy mages often cast that?
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    AHF said:

DJKajuru said:

These less popular spells should have been more used by enemies - an enemy mage who casts deafness or polyphorm other would be interesting.

Interesting, but even easier to beat. Now if they started flinging webs, stinking clouds, etc. then that would start getting both interesting and deadly for the party.

Or perhaps there could be quests where you HAD TO use them . Like casting a ray of enfeeblement to make a strong fighter surrender, or farsight to see behind locked door...
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

@AHF Silence is prob the only one on your list which I would normally use

I see it as a lesser version of hold person. If they fail the save, I'd rather have them paralyzed than silenced.
    DJKajuru said:

AHF said:

DJKajuru said:

These less popular spells should have been more used by enemies - an enemy mage who casts deafness or polyphorm other would be interesting.

Interesting, but even easier to beat. Now if they started flinging webs, stinking clouds, etc. then that would start getting both interesting and deadly for the party.

Or perhaps there could be quests where you HAD TO use them . Like casting a ray of enfeeblement to make a strong fighter surrender, or farsight to see behind locked door...
    That would make a lot of sense in both cases for the player and party in a particular scenario. Rooting a big bad warrior to the spot because he can't move in his armor would be a good way to force a surrender without bloodshed.

I just haven't encountered those scenarios in any BG game or mod.
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    Most of 'em. I was strictly an evocation mage. Fireball! Fireball! Magic Missile! Finger of Death!

A lot of 'em seemed cool, but were too limited gameplay-wise. Alignment-based spells and NPC-based spells (like Friends) that were awesome in a D&D game, but not all that useful in a combat CRPG.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Try just about every Divination spells outside of the occasional Identify and, of course, True Sight.

@Permidion_Stark Cloudkill has to be one of the most used spells in my arsenal, great when you can open a door, throw it in then close the door and wait for the screams :)

You and your kind are nazis.
    Okay, bad joke.

• HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    AHF said:

For spells through level 4 that I never use:

Blindness
    Chill Touch
    Infravision
    Reflected Image
    Shocking Grasp

Deafness
    Ghoul Touch
    Luck
    Power Word, Sleep
    Ray of Enfeeblement

Clairvoyance
    Detect Illusion
    Hold Undead
    Minor Spell Deflection
    Non-Dection
    Spell Thrust

Confusion
    Contagion
    Enchanted Weapon
    Farsight
    Polymorph Other
    Secret Word

Detect Evil
    Magic Stone
    Shillelagh

Good Berries
    Know Alignment
    Silence 15' Radius
    Spiritual Hammer

Glyph of Warding
    Hold Animal
    Miscast Magic
    Rigid Thinking
    Strength of One
    Unholy Blight (not Holy Smite which is great)

Cloak of Fear
    Farsight

Any cause wound spells other than Hurt.

Blindness is actually a good spell, and Clairvoyance is great if you're a map explorer, lol.

AHF said:

For spells through level 4 that I never use:

Blindness
    Chill Touch
    Infravision
    Reflected Image
    Shocking Grasp

Deafness
    Ghoul Touch
    Luck
    Power Word, Sleep
    Ray of Enfeeblement

Clairvoyance
    Detect Illusion
    Hold Undead
    Minor Spell Deflection
    Non-Dection
    Spell Thrust

Confusion
    Contagion
    Enchanted Weapon
    Farsight
    Polymorph Other
    Secret Word

Detect Evil
    Magic Stone
    Shillelagh

Good Berries
    Know Alignment
    Silence 15' Radius
    Spiritual Hammer

Glyph of Warding
    Hold Animal
    Miscast Magic
    Rigid Thinking
    Strength of One
    Unholy Blight (not Holy Smite which is great)

Cloak of Fear
    Farsight

Any cause wound spells other than Hurt.

Blindness is actually a good spell, and Clairvoyance is great if you're a map explorer, lol.
    Clairvoyance is all but useless for me. Cast invisibility and walk around the entire map rather than use a 3rd level spell.

Blindness just falls way behind AOE sleep for me (sleep also is tougher to save against) and by the time enemies are immune to sleep, I have many better options at other levels for save or else spells (in addition, spook has a save penalty of up to -6 compared to the no-penalty save for blindness). It isn't that the spell is useless, my issue is that I always have better options. I see the benefit for the AOE, no-save powerword blind, though.
  • UnseeyingEyeUnseeyingEye Member Posts: 48
    I am actually looking forward to playing BG1/2 now. The last time I played BG1/2 was four years ago and I had done so many frequent playthroughs that I had gotten into the habit of relying on specific spells so I neglected a lot of them. Looking forwards to experimenting now.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    edited October 2012
    I really like this thread, there are some very helpful tips here, especially for someone like me who usually plays melee centric characters or priests / paladins. I'm currently on a run through of BG2 (was going to play 1 but I'm having issues getting the widescreen mod to work with it) with a wild mage so it's nice to see how other people use the spells they have available to them. If anything it does mean I won't be so quick to sell scrolls for spells I wouldn't fill my slots with.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Tanthalas said:

Spells that I have never even considered memorizing include:

- Infravision
    - Know alignment
    - Detect Evil

There is a G3 Oversight mod for BGII that alters Know Alignment so that every creature on the map is targeted and listed (with their full alignment, not just good/neutral/evil) on the feedback/dialogue window. From a role playing perspective, it put all the NPCs and monsters into their proper context (which I appreciated), but it also spoiled the chance for any surprise encounters.

• griffianogriffiano Member Posts: 26
    Colour (Color) Spray hahaha pointless spell along with good berries........utter crap
    Cloud kill is a fantastic spell guys! try it against Umber Hulks, they die instantly :)
    @HaHaCharade who do you usually use blindness against? mages or melee fighters? I read that it can be cast against blue circled characters without turning them hostile?
    griffiano said:

Colour (Color) Spray hahaha pointless spell along with good berries........utter crap

Sleep is better but color spray is great in BG1. Kind of like cone of cold versus fireball.

If you play an invoker (can't use sleep), color spray is probably the most powerful level 1 for most of BG1.

nobody here rates magic misiles? its my level 1 spell of choice, sounds like its time to try a bit of everything else
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    griffiano said:

I used Goodberries a lot when Jaheira was my only healer. Early on you don't have many spell slots and it's the only healing option for level 2, even though it's underpowered.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Kaxon said:

griffiano said:

I used Goodberries a lot when Jaheira was my only healer. Early on you don't have many spell slots and it's the only healing option for level 2, even though it's underpowered.
    Yup, same here I use Goodberries early on due to lack of many healing spells.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    If I am stuck with Jaheira, then she memorizes charm mammal instead. Goodberries is very lackluster.

Spells I dont use: many of the priest spells like holy power, repulse undead, and other undead related spells.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    The undead spells suffer from not being all that useful 80% of the time. And most of the undead don't need special spells to deal with. Fireball is what we call a "Cure All" =p
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    griffiano said:

Color Spray is useful in BG1 if (1) you haven't gotten Sleep yet on an NPC or (2) the NPC defaults to a melee weapon proficiency and might be in melee range a lot anyway (Edwin, Xan).

It pretty much does the exact same thing as Sleep and has a pretty cool animation to boot.

@HaHaCharade who do you usually use blindness against? mages or melee fighters? I read that it can be cast against blue circled characters without turning them hostile?

Can't speak for HaHa but I've found Blind to be excellent against single targets that tend to hit very hard against my low armor class tanks -- think of that dude in the bandit camp or the drwaven bounty hunter in Beregost.

It also works nicely against ranged mobs who use poison arrows. Anybody who is blinded just sort of stands there and wanders around a bit. Give you a lot of breathing room to focus on other targets.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    At least in BG1 Blind is downright broken.

A blinded creature in BG1 basically has sight the length of its arm if that. This means that big scary ogres with belt fetishes will stand there while you pelt them with arrows.

Ok what happens is you see the ogre and cast blind and he runs towards your original location (where you cast blind). Once he gets there though he can't see anything so you pelt him from afar ez pz. This works against a lot of characters. Oh and on top of this it supposedly reduces their chance to hit by 4 and gives them +4 armor (So an AC 0 would become an AC 4. An AC 6 would become an AC10). And as the best option of all, if you do get a blind on a caster, they can only cast spells directly in front of them. Take someone like Silke in beregost for instance with her love for lightning bolt. If you interrupt her invisibility spell, and then hit her with blind, you're entire party can turn her into a pin cushion and she can't cast any spells cause she can't actually see where the arrows are coming from. Honestly I love the spell now but it some ways it DOES feel kinda dirty. Waiting to see how it fairs against the final demon in Durlags, Aec'Talec and Sarevok before I claim full outright brokenness for the spell but definitely keeping one of these puppies always memorized on a wizard in my BG1 campaigns from now on.
    Sorry guys I should say 'I' found Colour Spray and Good Berries pointless, suppose we all go through the game differently and that's what makes it great set of games.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited October 2012

@Son_of_Imoen why are you such a big fan of cloak of non-detection in BG1? It works against detect invis? do enemy mages often cast that?

Yes, it keeps my thief stealthed when an enemy mage casts detect invisibility. I use it to scout ahead and be immune to their dispelling. Though in the topic about invisibility I read the spell only works against spells up to level 3, maybe it's the same with the cloak. I got surprised sometimes, my stealth got dispelled after all, but maybe it was because of a True Sight (level 5 for clerics, level 6 for mages).

I play using SCS for increased general AI and smarter mages. The smarter mages usually cast one of the detection spells as soon as they 'sense' a stealthed character is near. The greatest usefullness is being able to RP a pre-emptive strike and target the opening spells (like Malison, Silence and a Skull Trap) to be centered just outside the enemies field of view - some battles I need those cheesy tactics to be able to win.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Any fans of Horror? It's a spell I never use, as while it seems a good second level spell for disabling enemies, it makes the run around all the time, making it much hard for my party to actually kill them than with a spell that roots them to the spot, like Hold Person.
    @Son_of_Imoen I always liked using it but your right, chasing them down isnt so fun!
    @Son_of_Imoen If you use anything like Horror or Confuse etc switch to ranged weapons ;)
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    edited October 2012

At least in BG1 Blind is downright broken.

A blinded creature in BG1 basically has sight the length of its arm if that. This means that big scary ogres with belt fetishes will stand there while you pelt them with arrows.

Ok what happens is you see the ogre and cast blind and he runs towards your original location (where you cast blind). Once he gets there though he can't see anything so you pelt him from afar ez pz. This works against a lot of characters. Oh and on top of this it supposedly reduces their chance to hit by 4 and gives them +4 armor (So an AC 0 would become an AC 4. An AC 6 would become an AC10). And as the best option of all, if you do get a blind on a caster, they can only cast spells directly in front of them. Take someone like Silke in beregost for instance with her love for lightning bolt. If you interrupt her invisibility spell, and then hit her with blind, you're entire party can turn her into a pin cushion and she can't cast any spells cause she can't actually see where the arrows are coming from. Honestly I love the spell now but it some ways it DOES feel kinda dirty. Waiting to see how it fairs against the final demon in Durlags, Aec'Talec and Sarevok before I claim full outright brokenness for the spell but definitely keeping one of these puppies always memorized on a wizard in my BG1 campaigns from now on.

Not sure I'd call it broken. In th vanill game, mobs seem to make their save often enough, and in those cases the spell does nothing. (although I may be just rolling badly on my current playthrough).

I blinded Silke once. She went invisible, ran away, and didn't come back. Very annoying!
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Brude said:

I blinded Silke once. She went invisible, ran away, and didn't come back. Very annoying!

I like the idea of a blind, invisible Silke running around Beregost. If you listen very carefully you can hear her saying 'Oww!" as she runs into walls and trips over barrels.