Skip to content

Which companion is the most good?

2»

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @Humanoid_Taifun
    The soa main enemy takes all your soul, and does not change alignment, while mr tob states that he needs only a very little part of it, so small that you will even not notice the loss, so is also too small to have him change alignment. In fact the change happens later and only if you take some choices in the dialogue.

But is also true, as the Harry Potter saga teaches, that some acts have a special value
    like the sacrifice of his mother protecting him from the most powerful evil mage of his era
    so, as that little piece of your soul is a gift and not something stolen, is perfectly possible that it has a part in the alignment change.

As Jimi Hendrix sung:
    "with the power of love
    everything is possible"...
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    @gorgonzola Well put. I'd add that the whole process of "spoiler's" alignment change begins because you do something he doesn't expect and can't explain -- you take him at his word that he'll behave rather than magically coercing him to do so. It is his struggle to understand such a foreign mindset that opens him up to new ideas and, potentially, an alignment change.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @gorgonzola Irenicus had lost his emotions and was fueled only by revenge. I doubt he would have been receptive to his new soul's smell even if he had given himself the time for some self-reflection. But he was too driven for such things.
    Meanwhile, Spoiler was in a situation where he had been proven wrong in his world view and had lost his purpose too. So there was ample reason to do some soul-searching and he had no grand schemes that would distract him from it either.

@jsaving You can change his alignment even if you do put a geas on him. It is just slightly more difficult.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    And here I thought, before I clicked the thread, you meant the bestest character... ;)
  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 123
    Calmar wrote: »
    And here I thought, before I clicked the thread, you meant the bestest character... ;)

Yes, I don't like it either. 'Most good' hurts my eyes.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    "Which companion is the gooderest?"
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Aww, Mazzy wasn't on the list, and surely is the best option - I didn't notice either, but when I saw her in the comments I realised that she is!

I like Valygar: his altruism lacks ego. He also is capable of self-reflecting and questioning the integrity of his outlook. While he mightn't actively seek to pursue big causes like Keldorn or Minsc - killing Dragons and Vampires and whatever else - I think he has a sincere 'Goodness' that isn't subject to any great vices.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Yeah, Valygar, despite his dourness, is actually a very good person. Before my current run, which is all-female, I always took him as a counter to my mage PC. Not only was his banter funny given the group leader was a high-level mage, it also gave her a bit of an attitude check at times.
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Mazzy. Down with incomplete polls :p