Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Which companion is the most good?

Methinks this is more difficult than the 'most evil' question.

I would definitely go for Imoen. Good natured, loyal to a fault, honest and kind to others. She treats evil NPC's more with wit than outright hostility.

I have doubts about:
- Aerie. Her goodness seems to be the result of abuse and trauma, which makes her timid and desire order and safety. She has a great desire to do good, but is it really the result of internal morality?
- Minsc. The man is not just dumb, he is insane. He revels in bloodshed, slaughter and violence, as long as the victims are 'evil'. Very chaotic indeed, but 100% good? Hardly in my book.
- Sir Anomen.
Starting out as lawful neutral, in my opinion he stays that way. He just becomes even more arrogant and lawful to the max. He doesn't really seem interested in 'wasting time' on side quests even when they are plainly good.
- Mr. ToB.
The shift from CE to CG just seems to much. His banter is still evil after the alignment shift and his epilogue is definitely CN
.

Which companion is the most good? 32 votes

Aerie (LG)
43%
O_BruceKadrikDJKajuruNoonNeverusedMirandelANOFmegamike15butteredsoulcrumbStummvonBordwehrPhoenix_VIISkitiaZaxares 14 votes
Imoen (NG)
9%
Gatekeep3rMaurvirkaja8 3 votes
Keldorn (LG)
15%
Balrog99karnor00DinoDinWormkingAcifer 5 votes
Minsc (CG)
6%
JuliusBorisovBleuCeleste 2 votes
Nalia (CG)
9%
Timbo0o0o0smyth25gorgonzola 3 votes
Rasaad (LG)
12%
HadarRaduzielAionZrevan21 4 votes
Sir Anomen (LG)
0%
Valygar (NG)
3%
recklessheart 1 vote
Mr. ToB (CG)
0%
JuliusBorisovgorgonzolaBlomdor
«1

Comments

  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 1,466
    Aerie (LG)
    this one is actually harder to pick then the evil one. as each good npc has a flaw to them thats makes them not 100% good.

  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 91
    Imoen (NG)
    Yeah, being good is far more difficult than being neutral or evil. The lawful-chaotic axis seems far more easy to define.

  • AionZAionZ Member Posts: 2,816
    Rasaad (LG)
    Ironically your poll is missing Mazzy, who is a prime candidate.
    Aerie. Her goodness seems to be the result of abuse and trauma, which makes her timid and desire order and safety. She has a great desire to do good, but is it really the result of internal morality?
    I don't understand this. What is internal morality? No one spontaneously chooses to be benevolent and do good any more than they choose to do evil. Is Aerie's goodness somehow less legitimate than the Radiant Heart party members who were basically groomed to become good? She definitely does not qualify because her view of goodness is extremely shallow, but how she came to be good has nothing to do with it.

    EnialusMeliamneThacoBellgorgonzola
  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 91
    Imoen (NG)
    Yes, forgetting Mazzy is a blunder :(

    I've just always seen Aerie as only LG because she's too afraid to be anything else. She craves the protection of order because she considers herself weak and frail. I almost never get her in my party because it annoys me greatly, while other LG's like Ajantis, Keldorn and Mazzy don't.

  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 1,466
    Aerie (LG)
    i ultimately picked aerie. it was a toss up between her and imoen but in the end i saw aerie as the more morally good character. if anything aerie's past is what makes her the person she is today. she wants to protect people and prevent what happend to her not happen to someone else.

    ThacoBellgorgonzola
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 128
    edited April 25
    Mazzy!

    I used to think Aerie was up there until I had her and Jaheira in the party and Aerie started dissing dead Khalid to his widow

    EnialusMeliamneThacoBellgorgonzolatypo_tilly
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 128
    A good case could be made for Jaheira - she is one of the few characters who leave if you attack the elves in Saradush and she is more tolerant than many “good” npcs e.g. she doesn’t look at Viconia and want to kill her on sight

    ThacoBellgorgonzola
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 224
    lol why do you have Sarevok on there but not Mazzy? I vote for Mazzy....you can't edit the poll can you?

    ThacoBellgorgonzolaMERLANCE
  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 91
    edited April 25
    Imoen (NG)
    lol why do you have Sarevok on there but not Mazzy? I vote for Mazzy....you can't edit the poll can you?

    Yeah, I completely forgot about Mazzy. Very ironic, since she'd be in my top 3.
    1. Imoen
    2. Mazzy
    3. Keldorn

    Only thing that bugs me about Keldorn is that he's so lawful that he's almost evil when it comes to certain judgments.

    I have serious doubts about Valygar's goodness as well. In some ways he is more true neutral than neutral good.

  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 131
    Imoen (NG)
    Imoen, but only because Mazzy wasn't a choice. Imoen, despite all that happens to her, remains kind-hearted and good. At the very end, she doesn't even hesitate when asked. However, Mazzy essentially role plays a paladin despite the (idiotic) fact that her god doesn't do that. She gets squat from her convictions but maintains them anyway. That puts her pretty far up in my book.

    EnialusMeliamneBelgarathMTH
  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 91
    Imoen (NG)
    True, but personally I've always found neutral good to be morally superior over lawful, but that's just personal conviction.

  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 17,721
    edited April 25
    Minsc (CG)
    Minsc is the type of character to never let you down, leave you, or do something bad (unless you're acting evil). His voice-over lines constantly give that away:

    Evil 'round every corner. Careful not to step in any.
    Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and see what falls out!
    Jump on my sword while you can, evil... I won't be as gentle!
    A den of stinking evil. Cover your nose Boo! We will leave no crevice untouched!
    Make way evil! I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!

    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    gorgonzolaBelgarathMTH
  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 91
    Imoen (NG)
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Mazzy is the clear winner. No contest. Not only are her actions the most morally upright, she engages with other people on a personal level. No judging based solely on alignment, actions are what she cares about.

    I see your point, but that would make her more NG than LG, no?

  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 2,448
    edited April 25
    Nalia (CG)
    Gatekeep3r wrote: »
    I've just always seen Aerie as only LG because she's too afraid to be anything else. She craves the protection of order because she considers herself weak and frail. I almost never get her in my party because....
    i strongly disagree.
    aerie has an evolution in the time she remain with you, and if you romance her this is even more evident.
    at the beginning she is the frail, wining little aerie always needing of protection, in end game she is a mature and very courageous woman
    and charname, not she, is the one scared to have her go to battle pregnant, she is well confindent in her ability to fight and protect the life growing in herself as is well aware to be a powerful mage and cleric, no more the little winy one she is when you first meet her
    her way to be good oriented does not change in any way, so to be afraid is not the reason of her alignment.

    i would probably have voted mazzy, if it would be an option.
    minsc, for the reasons outlined by @JuliusBorisov and aerie would have been 2 other good candidates for me.

    my choice is nalia, she is a thief, but has learned thieving abilities to be free to do what is important for her, help the needy.
    to help the needy is a sign of not be selfish and to care about other people, 2 important characteristics of being good oriented.
    also she has an evolution, but maintain intact her reason to be good trough the evolution she has.
    from the naive robin hood she is at the beginning to actively politically working for her goal at the highest levels as we know by her epilogue.

    in the process she does not dislike to help charname to deal with his problems and kill some evil dragons and demons she find on their road.


    JuliusBorisov
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 120
    edited April 25
    Aerie (LG)
    Since there is no Mazzy, I picked Aerie. She might start naïve but she becomes mature and so does her acts of goodness. I fondly remember her helping a male <CHARNAME> to still care and have emotion after seeing all the death around Saradush. Anomen gets a similar conversation, but he recalls the quickness of the blood and the adrenaline over the loss of life.

    gorgonzola
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 499
    It seems to me that Mazzy, Imoen, Aerie, Minsc, and Keldorn all make consistently good-aligned choices throughout the game so a reasonable case could be made for any of them. However Mazzy is least burdened by personal insecurities or other quirks so I would call her the best exemplar of a good-aligned character in the game.

    Trailing a bit behind those five are Jaheira and Valygar, who generally put others before themselves but sometimes profess concerns about balance or their reputation.

    Considerably behind them would be Nalia, who does good-aligned actions partly because that's what she thinks high-stature people like herself should do. That's not her only reason but it's enough of an evil tinge to make her weakly rather than strongly good.

    Considerably behind her would be Anomen and Rasaad, who have sizable egos and are easily turned from benevolence when their egos are bruised.

    PokotaThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 8,589
    Gatekeep3r wrote: »
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Mazzy is the clear winner. No contest. Not only are her actions the most morally upright, she engages with other people on a personal level. No judging based solely on alignment, actions are what she cares about.

    I see your point, but that would make her more NG than LG, no?

    Nope. At no point does she advocate breaking any laws, and even in instances where she sees no alternative, she still voices displeasure over it.

  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 4,120
    For me it's no contest, it's Mazzy.

    ThacoBellMERLANCE
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 640
    Aerie (LG)
    I voted Aerie, though I consider it a 3-way near-tie between her, Keldorn, and Mazzy. Aerie is on the more merciful and compassionate side of good, while Keldorn and Mazzy are both on the justice side of good. Both are necessary: I think this is why Keldorn says to Aerie that he might have something to learn from her about goodness.

    They would all play different parts in a good society ideally: Aerie (post trauma) would make a fantastic orphanage keeper, Keldorn could make an excellent judge were he excused from being a paladin, and Mazzy would make a wonderful captain of the guard.

    EnialusMeliamnegorgonzola
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 4,170
    Keldorn (LG)
    Keldorn is the person I would most trust with my life. If he gave me his word, I know he'd do his best to keep it or die trying. Call that lawful stupid if you want, but it makes for a very trustworthy companion.

    gorgonzolaEnialusMeliamne
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 2,448
    Nalia (CG)
    Neverused wrote: »
    Aerie (post trauma) would make a fantastic orphanage keeper
    She can surely do it, but i think that is a waste for one of the most powerful casters of the realms, like she is at the end of the saga, that can spit in the face of draconis before kicking his butt with her combined arcane and divine magic, to do a job that every other good and compassionate person can also do.
    Maybe is the right task for her when she retires from adventuring, not necessarily right at the end of the saga when she is an archmage at the peak of her power and still young.

  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 131
    Imoen (NG)
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    Neverused wrote: »
    Aerie (post trauma) would make a fantastic orphanage keeper
    She can surely do it, but i think that is a waste for one of the most powerful casters of the realms, like she is at the end of the saga, that can spit in the face of draconis before kicking his butt with her combined arcane and divine magic, to do a job that every other good and compassionate person can also do.
    Maybe is the right task for her when she retires from adventuring, not necessarily right at the end of the saga when she is an archmage at the peak of her power and still young.

    Yeah, I remember the last play through where my PC was romancing her and she commented on how she was still treated like a child despite being one of the most powerful casters in all of Faerun. At first I was like "wait, aren't you about 3 or 4 levels behind me?", then I realized that if you add up both her cleric and mage level, she would be level 36. She could choose whether she wanted to summon a Planetar or a Deva depending on her mood that day, and send it out with a squad of hideously powerful creatures, all without even bothering my conjurer PC. She could create contingencies that merged arcane and divine spells. In short, by the time we got to the end game, she could take out a room all by herself.

    So yeah, it would be a total waste to put her in charge of an orphanage - unless the orphanage was in a war-torn area prone to battles outside the front door.

    gorgonzola
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 640
    Aerie (LG)
    I was talking more about personality than power: I don't think that power influences a person's goodness. It influences how much good a person can do, but unless the power is corrupting, it doesn't really come into my analysis of a character's motives/morality/personality. Same reason why I rate Hexxat as more evil than Edwin.

    gorgonzolaThacoBell
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,738
    Aerie (LG)
    My vote goes for Aerie. Although I would definitely choose Mazzy if the option was available. Aerie has a really good heart and it doesn't matter where her moral compass and compassion comes from. No one is innately good or evil, we all get our morals from somewhere. Be it raised in certain way, be it from other factors like life experiences, inspirations etc.

    Some particular characters I want to notice.

    Imoen is pretty good, but pickpocketing people is not moral by any means, even if it was for fun without malicious intent.

    Minsc has a heart in right place, but his idea of goodness is essentialy kicking arse, so I won't choose him as top tier-good.

    Anomen and Raasad are both very interesting. They strive to do good, but they struggle on that path and both can succumb to personal grudges. Both can even abandon you for them. I haven't played with Raasad nearly as much as with Anomen, so I can't say much for him. But Anomen's character development is really interesting and grounded in reality. Having an alcoholic in family is all but easy and as for Anomen himself, seeing someone deeply flawed still trying to do good and in the end becoming a truly better person is very satisfying. (I do think that some of his dialogues should be changed to reflect his alignment change better).

    But, due to their flaws I can't consider them the most good characters.

    As for TOB guy, his alignment change balances on arsepull due to how drastic it is.

    gorgonzolaThacoBell
  • ANOFANOF Member Posts: 62
    Aerie (LG)
    Naturally I voted for my girl, Aerie.

    Keldorn put the Order of the Radiant Heart ahead of his family to the extent that his wife ended up falling out of love with him and feeling so emotionally neglected that she sought solace in the arms of another man. And when he finds out about how his wife feels, Keldorn’s reaction is to claim that ‘honour’ demands that his wife get put in gaol and that the other man ends up swinging from a rope, and it’s a course of action Keldorn is perfectly willing to go along with. That doesn't strike me as particularly good behaviour so scratch Keldorn from consideration.

    Imoen comes off as someone who has a hard time taking people’s feelings and emotions into account, and, if confronted with any pain or distress she’s caused, would simply tell the person to lighten up. She’s the type of person whose logic is that because they didn't mean to cause offence, any offence taken is your fault and not hers, so why should be apologize.

    Mazzy is way too standoffish, and she lacks the ability to see things in any other way but in terms of black and white. Sometimes there are shades of grey, and Mazzy doesn't seem to grasp that.

    Minsc is wholesome to the core. I’ve only played with Rasaad once and I don’t remember anything about his personality, so I can’t judge it. Nalia is fairly wholesome, like Minsc but with more intelligence.

    Anomen is a complete tool. Whilst he genuinely wants to be force for good, Anomen simply doesn't care about people. A more accurate alignment for him would be Lawful Evil.

    Valyger is generally good but is too quick to mistrust, and Mr. ToB is pure nasty.

    gorgonzola
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 103
    Aerie (LG)
    As someone mentioned above, a lot of these characters have solid moral centers, but they do have flaws that perhaps keep them from being elevated to the truly saintly.

    1. Aerie was my choice here (although like many others, Mazzy would have been a very close contender). I believe she does possess genuine compassion for others, as evidenced by the fact that she got captured in the first place trying to rescue a human boy from slavers. Coming back and playing the game again after nearly 20 years, I was actually struck by how close her depiction is to someone who's struggling with PTSD and depression. Despite that, she still keeps trying to look out for other people, noticing if they're down or dispirited and trying to reach out to them.

    Aerie's one flaw perhaps is that she seems to have trouble empathizing with people who have come from drastically different backgrounds and how that might affect their moral compass. She clashes constantly with Viconia and I get the feeling she never quite fully lets go of her ingrained distrust of drow.

    2. I think that Imoen is one of the rare few people who truly doesn't hate anyone. (Except perhaps Irenicus.) She fights to defend herself, those she loves, and people who can't defend themselves, but like most other NG characters, they do not make it a "crusade". They simply do the best they can for people they encounter, as and when it happens.

    3. Nalia didn't get my vote because while I think she does look at the wealth and class divide and see how unfair it is, she still has trouble truly seeing "lesser folk" as her equals. For all of her compassion, she still sees herself as separate, possibly better, to the peasantry and commonfolk. This attitude still seems to persist into ToB too, although her methods for trying to correct injustice have shifted.

    4. As others mentioned above, Minsc does have his heart in the right place, but his low Int and Wis means he's essentially still clinging to a "You're mean! I'm gonna kick your butt till you stop being mean!" approach to fighting evil. It has its place, but it's not a true solution to entrenched or intrinsic evil.

    I've yet to bring along Anomen, Rasaad and Keldorn for their personal quests so far in this playthrough, so I'll have to come back to them at a later date. And yes, I agree that Mr ToB's alignment shift was TOO drastic, considering that kind of diametric shift is usually only possible through magical or deific intervention. I think he should have been shifted to CN or TN instead.

    gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 2,448
    Nalia (CG)
    about mr tob he has been defeated and killed by you, he become a wraith after death only to be killed by you again, and then he has his 3rd opportunity when you finally meet him in tob.
    those are very special experiences that can give a different insight about the purpose of life and the goal that he has in it.
    when you meet him he clearly states that he has no more desire of personal power, that he has changed from how he was in the past. the adventures he lives with you, this time as ally and not as enemy, can make him "cross the bridge".
    he may discover that your way (giving for granted that charname is good) can be also a good way for him to spend his life.

    is this enough to shift from evil to good? probably not.
    all i want to say is that he has more valid reasons to change then every other npc.

  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 963
    @Zaxares @gorgonzola Also, he gets a bit of your soul. If you are looking for "deific intervention", you need look no further.
    Since he never actually gets to act on his new belief system in the confines of the game (permitting you to actually witness it), I do not know if I find the shift too drastic.

    gorgonzola
Sign In or Register to comment.