Skip to content

Why Baeloth the Entertrainer isn´t available in BG2:EE ?

I´d like to know the reasons why from someone who made the decision of not including B in BG2:EE.

Comments

• BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Because he's too busy running the Plack Pits 2! Gladiator Boogaloo.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    him being in sod was to make up for not being in 2.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Bigfish said:

Because he's too busy running the Plack Pits 2! Gladiator Boogaloo.

Reference to Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo? Have an upvote! #80sFogey
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I would think because he is so OP when we already have Edwin, it trivalises the game.

I mean, it's great fun running BG and SOD with both on one level, but doesn't really feel like you are that important as Charname.
    Especially SOD, two fully changed fire wands and endless cloudkills/webs/grease/summons ect.?

Can you imagine what would happen in BG2, small party, level up quickly?
    Athkatla would be lucky if it was still standing.

I love the character, best one out of the EE NPCs by a huge margin IMO.
    That said, take Baeloth instead of Edwin, not a chance.
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 208
    Well, I certainly miss the "disco inferno" party dynamic and fireworks, plus his commentary hit the right chords. I think the stalemate BG2 npc team could have a real revision again, as I see only good business possibilites to have more additional npc characters to choose from. Like, more options, what´s not to like?
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    It would have been great to have him again I agree.
    Perhaps meet him in the Underdark, in Ust Nathar?

Just trying to think of reasons they didn't and suggesting it could be they made the character a bit OP for the early game. In BG, you can't meet him until you are level 5 so that he fits a bit better. "In the Underdark" (to quote Viconia), by the time you reach there, he would fit as in BG.
    This question arouse mainly when I thought of the gladiator arena in Copper Coronet and wondered whether it was the inspiartion behind Black Pits. Apparently the sahuagin city has a gladiator arena as well, and then there is one gladiaotr ring in Ust´Natha.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    How come Elminster not in BG II before ToB ?
    sry to ot.
  • SunderSunder Member Posts: 56

lordkim said:

sry to ot.

He can be, depending on your romantic choices.
    Unless I am thinking of another Elminster cameo or mine was a bug due to 2 npcs being in the party that were trying to romance me (and I was forced to make a decision).....Elminster may just show up for following a joinable NPC's quest to it's conclusion......which seems to take quite a long time to reach.
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    edited February 2017
    Sunder said:

lordkim said:

sry to ot.

Unless I am thinking of another Elminster cameo or mine was a bug due to 2 npcs being in the party that were trying to romance me (and I was forced to make a decision).....Elminster may just show up for following a joinable NPC's quest to it's conclusion......which seems to take quite a long time to reach.
    Agreed. Quite a long time indeed. Seems like all is functioning as intended.

Edit: a quest that you only get if you romance the npc.
    Post edited by profanitywarning on
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I've nothing against a greater variety of npc's , but I think that baeloth is too much of a one note character . The easy way would be to place him in the game would be in ust natha or just throw him in your face like the other EE npcs , but do we really want beamdog to keep doing that? I would rather add depth and meaningful interaction to his character rather than keep him the one-note character he tends to be.
    Just look at edwin, he's a bloody powerful red wizard but in bg2 he is misteriously cast out and working for the thieves, and if you ask him why hoping for a convenient quest he states that it's none of your business. I believe that that's a fine example of a well rounded character who exists not only to give you quests but also has personal goals .
    As much as people love baeloth, if I wrote his BG2 story I would definitely turn his madness into something we didn't really want to see, take most of the funny out of him (even Edwin and Xzar ain't clowns all the time) and make him a character that you either want to kill and make him suffer or join with him and witness the worst that a mad chaotic evil drow can do to people.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    +1 for Baeloth in BG2, playing Team Evil gets a little stale with Edwin as your only option for a mage.
    elminster said:

lordkim said:

sry to ot.

Contract dispute between Elminster and WoTC. He only managed to appear under the stage name of

Terminsel.

:)
    Still beats the hell out of TWFKAE
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited February 2017
    Once, I had Edwin, Baeloth, and Xzar (dualled to cleric at mage lvl 5) take out the bandit camp - with SCS and other boosts to the enemy installed, I might add. Booom! Good times.
  • SunderSunder Member Posts: 56

Sunder said:

lordkim said:

sry to ot.

Agreed. Quite a long time indeed. Seems like all is functioning as intended.

Edit: a quest that you only get if you romance the npc.
    See, that has me curious. When forced to make a choice, I choose Aerie(a regrettable decision, but seemed necessary to keep party intact) & still completed that quest (at least up into the point that she leaves, you get a letter from a certain disguised NPC & get her back). So I am not sure the rom,ance is needed? Maybe just need to start it? Perhaps a bug as Aerie's romance does not seem to progressed after a night where i choose to be honorable (maybe i accidentally ended that one as well, but didn't seem to) & have played quite a bit since & now in the underdark in that run.
    I think you are right and the romance has to be active to start the quest, but doesnt have to be active to finish it. Not sure though, because I really can't stand Aerie ever since she took off with some valuable items I bought her the first time I played this game, and I never even recruited her after that.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The romance is not necessary, you just need to finish that npcs quest line. Ironically, romancing her makes the quest line take much much longer.
    @ThacoBell so, if you don't romance this npc, you still get all of that quest line, and Elminster does show up? Perhaps I'm mistaken because I either romance this npc, or don't have her in my party.
    @profanitywarning Yes, absolutely. The only thing the romance changes is timers.
    Does Elminster offer sage advice during the romance? Does he become a npc like all the others? 8o
    Tarlugn said:

Does Elminster offer sage advice during the romance? Does he become a npc like all the others? 8o

He is his normal, not giving straight answers, meddling, self :)
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    So the serious answer to the OP's question is:

Baeloth is considered an Easter Egg character in BG:EE added as an apology for the delayed launch of the game. He was never suppose to be a cannon NPC, but his popularity made the developers include him in SoD.

I am still hoping that they do add him and other SoD NPCs (including new banters and quests revoloving around said NPCs) to BG2:EE as paid DLC.
  • kimmuryielkimmuryiel Member Posts: 89
    sry to ot.

if you do the harper questline (requires Jaheira in your group), then Elminster does show up, albeit in disguise

I haven't done any of the Bioware romances in so long, I can't remember if he shows up for any of them, though
  • kimmuryielkimmuryiel Member Posts: 89
    edited April 2019
    I think you are right and the romance has to be active to start the quest, but doesnt have to be active to finish it. Not sure though, because I really can't stand Aerie ever since she took off with some valuable items I bought her the first time I played this game, and I never even recruited her after that.

get the mod "cdtweaks" from Gibberlings 3, it has optional components so that party members don't leave due to reputation and don't fight. I had Keldorn and Viconia in the same party throughout all of SoA and ToB (I'm assuming it was low reputation that cause Aerie to leave, anyway...)

and no, I did the harper questline as a female character romancing Ajantis
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    kimmuryiel wrote: »

get the mod "cdtweaks" from Gibberlings 3, it has optional components so that party members don't leave due to reputation and don't fight. I had Keldorn and Viconia in the same party throughout all of SoA and ToB (I'm assuming it was low reputation that cause Aerie to leave, anyway...)

and no, I did the harper questline as a female character romancing Ajantis

I believe the case here:
    She leaves due to decision to romance & flirt with certain dark elf.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited April 2019
    kimmuryiel wrote: »
    it has optional components so that party members don't leave due to reputation and don't fight. I had Keldorn and Viconia in the same party throughout all of SoA and ToB
    did you try to turn undeads with an enough high level viconia?
    really funny as the evil cleric turn undead is also turn paladin and is not party friendly :D ...

i wonder if it works also with blackguards, that are evil paladins, it should do it, but maybe the ee developers have disabled it to make possible to have both viky and dorn in an evil party, while the original developers made almost impossible to have keldorn and viconia in a party until that xp level.
    but not a charname paladin and viconia, thing that a player that does not care much of rp or is interested in rp to romance her and have her alignment changed can do.

does any one try to turn undeads with viconia having dorn in the party? i can not play with dorn, too evil for my taste, but i am really curios about how the ee developers handled the situation.