Skip to content

Alternate NPC and PC portraits... just because! :P

Comments

• BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Przemkas said:

BTW, here's another long forgotten anonymous portrait:

That looks even more like Sir Brian Cox than I thought Haer'Dalis already did!

• Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @Przemkas Oż w morde blaszka, krajan mi do wątku zawitał! Greetings! :D Shouldn't be surprised, I guess, with the number of our countrymen on the board. ;)
    Thank you for praise and encouragement, I eat it up even if undeserved. :P
    That alternate Kivan is nice too - the face could be improved, but the pose and expression are very nice. ... You wouldn't happen to have this picture in higher resolution, would you?

Now, since it's tomorrow already, have a dwarf, everyone:

From the character creator screen: Dwarves are short, stocky fellows, easily identified by their size and shape. They average 4 to 4 1/2 feet tall and have ruddy cheeks, dark eyes, and dark hair. Looking at Korgan's portrait, I think I should change the shape of the nose, but the picture looks so good right now I'm afraid to mess with it any further, lest I break it. Maybe I'll do another version later.

Oh, and something I meant to do two posts ago, but forgot - the early version of this guy in different outfits: http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/Syntia13/Baldur s Gate stuff/chains.png .
    booinyoureyes
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    edited October 2012
    Syntia13 said:

That alternate Kivan is nice too - the face could be improved, but the pose and expression are very nice. ... You wouldn't happen to have this picture in higher resolution, would you?

No niestety! Afraid not. Sorry. Your dwarf looks nice... for a human. I'm no artist but he just ain't bulky enough to be a dwarven character. Well, not a mature dwarf at least. So I guess he must be a young dwarf then: short beard and perfectly smooth skin. Something about 50 years old, so he's just a kid. No offence. Still, nicely done.

@Przemkas
    The Gorion's Ward is 20 when BG1 begins, so.... ;P
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    20 years, you're right. For a dwarf - or elf - it probably means they still got their baby teeth :P
    edited October 2012
    Continuing the 'one face across all the races' theme, I bring you a gnome.
    From the character creator screen: Gnomes are shorter and slimmer than their dwarven cousins, but have significantly larger noses. Most gnomes have dark tan or brown skin and white hair.
    So, big nose, brown skin, white hair, not too tall... it checks, right?
    The crazy hair gave me a lot of trouble; I still didn't get the effect I was aiming for, and I don't know how to get it. *sigh* Well, this is... good enough? I guess?

Well, that's four down, three to go. Back to work, then! :)

EDIT: Nose and ears tweaked as suggested by @neleothesze
    Post edited by Syntia13 on
    Oxford_GuyAedan
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Is it just me or do all of the female NPCs' hairstyles (except for Viconia) in BG2 look like Valygar is their stylist? Even Edwin and Korgan have ring clips in their beards. Is this the latest fashion in Athkatla or something?
    MoomintrollEpitomyofShyness
    edited October 2012
    @Mortianna - you know, you might be on to something there. Fashion is a power to be reckoned with, and only Drows have the strength to resist it. ;D
    I wonder why the artist went with this particular style - after two weeks of learning how to draw hair, I can tell that all those little tails are much harder to draw than loose or just short hair.

Now, another version of this guy's face, which I'm sure you're all sick of seeing. (I promised I'd make you suffer, didn't I?) :P

Before I link the picture I'd like to explain myself. About Halforcs:
    From the character creator screen: Another example of a hybrid, half-orcs are products of human and orc parents. Of a height similar to half-elves, half-orcs usually resemble their human parent enough to pass for a human in public. Their skin ranges from peach to olive to deep tan, and their hair can be blond, red, brown, black, gray, and shades in between.

So... not green. And they can pass for a human at first glance. That rules out the strange caved-in nose from that BG2 portrait (http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/Syntia13/Baldur s Gate stuff/02NHORCL.jpg), as well as fangs/tusks covering half the face. I must say I'm rather relieved, because, while Dorn's tusks look badass on his portrait, they give me a headache when I try to imagine how would they look/move if Dorn tried to eat or speak.
    Therefore, the halforc below has only slight greenish tinge to his skin, and just a hint of oversized lower fangs peaking out of his mouth. The eyes are yellow for no other reason than that I like yellow eyes. I tried to make the eyebrow ridges more massive, the jaw wider, and the nose slightly wider and flatter, to indicate the inhuman parentage. How well it worked? Take a look and judge for yourself:

The armor, once again, was stolen from another game. I liked the fur cape, and thought it would go well with a halforc.
    Post edited by Syntia13 on
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited October 2012
    @Syntia13 The portraits look very nice, but about the gnome one. Gnomes differ from halflings in that gnomes look more elven than human. They're like a dwarven-elven mix rather than an human-dwarven mix. So if you'd make the ears larger and with pointed tips then he might be a gnome. :)
    I don't remember who first posted these but he scanned them from his book about FR races.
    @neleothesze Thank you for the reference picture! I looked at this, then at Jan Jensen's portrait, then went to tweak my gnome. (Fun fact - after opening the file I discovered that his ears actually were pointy already, but the hair covered the tips. I forgot about it! :D I made the ears bigger and more 'not-humany'. Amazingly, the earrings still fit. ;)

So... Have another face for the collection. Human was supposed to be the last one of the pack, but the halfling is giving me a lot of trouble, so I temporarily ditched him and did this instead.
    So... it's a human. No explanations are necessary, I think? Redhead and freckles, because I like that look. The armor stolen from a game.
    EpitomyofShynesstrinitneleothesze
    Sebastian?
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Long time thread reader, first time poster. I love all your pics, but the half-Orc is a bit too twilighty for my taste. And Twilighty is totally a thing!
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    There are lots of nice portraits in this topic. Also, @Syntia13, I'm jealous of your painting skills. :D
    @neleothesze >_> Nope. Totally not Sebastian. Nu-uh. It's his long-lost responsible twin brother! ;P
    Yeah, that's Sebastian's armor, alright. :) The only appealing thing about that DLC if you ask me.
    @Delvarian Welcome, dear lurker! Thank you for emerging for a while. ... Twilighty? *tilts head* Twilighty how? He doesn't sparkle in the sunlight, does he? *is puzzled* True, my knowledge of Twilight is limited to the horrible first five chapters and a wikipedia summary, so I might be missing something.
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud Thank you Kitten! (Do you mind if I pet your avatar? It's too cute!)
    Heh, it's more like photomanipulation&overpainting skills, and don't be jealous - just try your hand at it. :)
    @Koson Hey, I needed to take a break from the 'one face' project, so here is your warrior with Young Keldorn's hair:
    Far from perfect, but the best I could manage at the moment. Is this close to what you had in mind?
    edited October 2012
    @Syntia13 I reaally tried to have him in my party since I paid for him and all... sadly, I couldn't go through with his romance and I only completed his personal quest by rushing through the game :( Imo, not even the excellent voice acting could save that character :( Pity. The character concept with a young prince turned 'monk' was interesting.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    @Syntia13 The haircut fits with what I had in mind but the hair, compared with BG original NPCs', looks photoshopped in there - think you could work on it a bit more to make it more realistic-looking? Or, if is easier / simpler for you, just give him a different haircut, it definitely doesn't have to be this one.
    And, if possible, could he use different armor than BG2 NPCs? Having him in same party with Keldorn / Anomen / Sarevok with both in similar armor suits is a bit odd (and may lead to confusion when they pick those up from cleaning :) ). The armor you used for your dwarf in the one face set looks nice, but it can be any other (as you seem to have a large stock :) ).
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Syntia13: Of course you can. I'm a huge fan of cats myself. They're so cute and adorable... XD Also, just saying the truth when it comes to your skills. I had to work with Photoshop for one year and it's still a huge mystery to me. I think I prefer 'classic' materials such as pencils and real paint. :p
    Syntia13
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    By Twilighty I meant he looks a bit emo and angsty, something that no doubt causes him trouble with the other orcs.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    I think I could use your Yoshimo portrait for my PC
  • Smiling_ImpSmiling_Imp Member Posts: 24
    Wow Syntial13! Those portraits are great! I really like your helmetless version of Ajantis!
    Syntia13
    @Koson Tricky customer, eh? Not to worry, we’ll find the perfect match here somewhere... Hmm...
    Here, try this:

@neleothesze Pity. The character concept with a young prince turned 'monk' was interesting. I know! *throws her hands up* It was just so frustrating - most of DA2 NPCs had so much potential to be interesting, engaging characters... why didn't it work? Why were they a bunch of angsting emos instead? (Thank the gods at least Varric escaped this mold. Varric - the man who made playing through DA2 worth it. ;P )
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud *pets the avatar* *pets her own cat so she doesn't get jealous* :D Hey, whatever weapon works for you. That what the scanners are for. :)
    @Delvarian Ah, I see. Well, having troubles with orcs is probably why he's mingling with humans. ;D
    @Necdilzor I think you mean one of portraits posted by @Talarasha. I like this one too, too bad it's so small resolution... :(
    @Smiling_Imp Thank you! :) Feel free to use Ajantis - or any of portraits posted here - in any way you wish.
    @Kirkor Holy...! This is one badass portrait, Kirkor! (If I had a bigger version of it, I'd totally add "THIEF 4: coming soon" caption at the bottom, print it and hang on my wall like a poster). ^_^ (Whaaaat? A girl can delude herself, can she not? ;P )
    Wait a minute... ...Kirkor... is that from Balladyna, or just a coincidental name duplication?
    MoomintrollKirkorHeindrich
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    edited October 2012
    @Synthia Haha, yes, it's totally from Balladyna ;D
    I'm glad someone finaly noticed it.
    I just like the name :)

Well, this picture is biggest copy I have.

BTW,
    Those are great pictures. If I had to choose, I wouldn't know, which one I would pick.
    I like last armor and hair (but if it were black...) and first face.
  • CantripNCantripN Member Posts: 4
    @Syntia13 That's AMAZING work! Can I maybe have that one on the right as a usable file, please? Also, yes, it might be even better if you used the hair from the one on the left, but just because it's more "normal". Awesome stuff!
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Przemkas said:

BTW, here's another long forgotten anonymous portrait:

Not all that forgotten or anonymous, I believe it's an alternate Kivan portrait from the Kivan and Deheriana mod (http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s=be668054dac2f6e000ea694cfed2222e&showtopic=4831).
  • alkaiseralkaiser Member Posts: 29
    I made two of then just for fun some time ago:
    http://ticofernandes.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/portraits/

They aren't much like BG, lets say that they were a test
    edited October 2012
    I've found awesome (IMO the best out there) Female Drow portrait:
    http://m1.img.libdd.com/farm4/44/9924D3AEA6DA1D87EBCA16D67FA3112C_1280_1923.jpg

I didn't touch it. I just found it.
    The author is Kerembeyit. This is his site, I believe (thou I'm not sure, as I don't speak korean), with more awesome stuff:
    http://visotr.diandian.com/post/2012-05-18/21878078
    Rajickbooinyoureyes
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Kirkor - I didn't expect to be impressed (a lot of drow are manga-style and don't interest me); I found a few awesome pics there. They don't fit BG to me, but it's wonderful art :D
    edited November 2012
    Syntia13 said:

"I like last armor and hair (but if it were black...) and first face. " You mean like this? http://syntia13.deviantart.com/art/Balthazar-6-335449376

Yay, that's nice. That is exactly what I meant :)
    Syntia13 said:

Also, holy smoke, that art gallery is bloody amazing. Thanks for linking it!

You can also find this guy on deviantart. He is pro :P

As for the Quale - nice work, looks pretty good. He looks much older now (I think it's because colour of his skin). I like it.
    I think if you make his mouth bigger, his bigger nose wouldn't look so weird as you said.

@reedmilfam nah, manga style would be so much out-of-place in Baldur's Gate.
    The picture I've posted would fit nicely, I think
This discussion has been closed.