Skip to content

Setup for "random" party

kalekale Member Posts: 53
"Random" is probably an exaggeration, but I wanted to do a re-run of HoW-only with classes and races I haven't used that much in BG/IWD games (so no paladins and archers, please, I always end up playing paladins and archers...). Currently I'm still adhering to a standard setup that covers the basics (though I'm sure you can also beat the game with six jesters). What I have so far:

Elf Avenger
Halfling Assassin
Half-Elf Berserker (using spears; never have used spears or halberds before...)
Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger (tank; dual wield and "sword"/shield)
Elf Blade (yes that's modded, I always hated the game for that, because moon elves make for perfect bards; dual wield)
? (I never, never played a monk before. I feel that I'm a bit low on tanks, but then my usual group setups are extremely defensive...)

(As you can see I don't like half-orcs and had too many dwarves in many parties in the recent past. There never seems to be a spot for a gnome?)

Any suggestions? I'm also open to substituting other classes to make the whole thing a bit more exciting. Are there any class combinations out there that don't make much sense but are nonetheless fun to play?
Post edited by kale on

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    you're a little weak on the wizard side of things, and since you mentioned gnerms you could try out a gnome illusionist, and for all the spells that your gnerm cant learn you can give to your blade
  • StromaelStromael Member Posts: 195
    Spears are pretty weak as a weapon group. However there's an awesome Halberd available as a random drop in Upper Dorn's.

I second Gnome Illusionist. Alternative would be Cleric/Illusionist, super powerful and can be pretty defensive in terms of party buffs.
  • AerichAerich Member Posts: 159
    I third gnome illusionist, and I say, make it multiclass. Ill/Thief, Ill/Cl, and Ftr/Ill are all strong and would amply support other areas as needed. I say Ill/Thief if you want to get max use from your assassin's backstab and use Mislead when available (probably the least powerful option overall), Ftr/Ill if you want a second tank as needed with great long range spell/missile capacity, and Ill/Cl if you want to max your offensive/defensive spells with avenger and Cl/R respectively.