Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Setup for "random" party

kalekale Member Posts: 10
"Random" is probably an exaggeration, but I wanted to do a re-run of HoW-only with classes and races I haven't used that much in BG/IWD games (so no paladins and archers, please, I always end up playing paladins and archers...). Currently I'm still adhering to a standard setup that covers the basics (though I'm sure you can also beat the game with six jesters). What I have so far:

Elf Avenger
Halfling Assassin
Half-Elf Berserker (using spears; never have used spears or halberds before...)
Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger (tank; dual wield and "sword"/shield)
Elf Blade (yes that's modded, I always hated the game for that, because moon elves make for perfect bards; dual wield)
? (I never, never played a monk before. I feel that I'm a bit low on tanks, but then my usual group setups are extremely defensive...)

(As you can see I don't like half-orcs and had too many dwarves in many parties in the recent past. There never seems to be a spot for a gnome?)

Any suggestions? I'm also open to substituting other classes to make the whole thing a bit more exciting. Are there any class combinations out there that don't make much sense but are nonetheless fun to play?

Post edited by kale on

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 4,353
    you're a little weak on the wizard side of things, and since you mentioned gnerms you could try out a gnome illusionist, and for all the spells that your gnerm cant learn you can give to your blade

Stromael
  • StromaelStromael Member Posts: 110
    Spears are pretty weak as a weapon group. However there's an awesome Halberd available as a random drop in Upper Dorn's.

I second Gnome Illusionist. Alternative would be Cleric/Illusionist, super powerful and can be pretty defensive in terms of party buffs.

• AerichAerich Member Posts: 108
    I third gnome illusionist, and I say, make it multiclass. Ill/Thief, Ill/Cl, and Ftr/Ill are all strong and would amply support other areas as needed. I say Ill/Thief if you want to get max use from your assassin's backstab and use Mislead when available (probably the least powerful option overall), Ftr/Ill if you want a second tank as needed with great long range spell/missile capacity, and Ill/Cl if you want to max your offensive/defensive spells with avenger and Cl/R respectively.