Skip to content

Is Boo ...

The greatest mystery of BG, I have always thought he is a normal hamster and Minsc has taken too many head blows but am I wrong?
  1. Is Boo ...48 votes
    1. A giant miniature space hamster?
      39.58%
    2. A normal hamster?
      14.58%
    3. A Siberian hamster?
        0.00%
    4. Lord Ao?
      10.42%
    5. An annoying block of a quick slot?
      22.92%
    6. Something else?
      12.50%
JuliusBorisovTressetSkatangorgonzolaRavenslightAerakar

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Is a miniaturized giant space hamster, not a giant miniature space hamster, so i had to vote something else...
    :D
    My mouse familiar suggests that Boo is a mouse in disguise, and also is convinced that the mouses and not the humans are the most intelligent and dominating specie, according to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy he is right, but in this case i trust more Minsc's opinion on the matter.
    Ravenslight
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    From a role-play perspective, I try to think of that blocked slot as tangible evidence of the “challenges” that one might encounter when adventuring with someone who has taken one to many blows to the head.

His heart is so true, his stout sword arm so welcome, that my protagonist simply deals with any negatives that his condition might bring.

Not to mention the boredom busting conversations that might arise around the evening campfire. ;)
    gorgonzolaleeux
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Ao had a pretty hands off approach to his universe if I remember correctly. I think he's only influenced it directly a couple times. Once to create it, and once to kick off that whole time of troubles thing and connect the created gods' power to their followers. So that one is out, imo.

Boo almost seems like a familiar to me. Intelligent for a hamster, he knew where to hide while in Irenicus' dungeon. Was able to translate for Minsc in SoD when talking to rats. Only Minsc is able to talk with him, which is consistent with familiars. And though not a beast master, there is precedence for rangers getting a familiar.

I wonder if Boo is named after Arthur "Boo" Radley . . . .
    RavenslightgorgonzolaGrond0
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited May 2019
    It is time... you know... the truth.

ALL HAIL BOO!

[h1]ALL HAIL BOO![/h1]

What's up with BBCode? Is it no longer working?
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    It is time... you know... the truth.

ALL HAIL BOO!

[h1]ALL HAIL BOO![/h1]

What's up with BBCode? Is it no longer working?

Minsc and Bao?
    gorgonzola
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I personally believe that Boo is just a normal hamster. BUT! After many years of adventuring with you and your compatriots and getting exposed to all manner of weird and wondrous magic, I don't rule out the possibility that he might have developed a greater than normal intelligence or some other special abilities and is no longer a normal hamster. ;)
    Grond0
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The miniature space hamster in Mass Effect has Boo's voice and recognized me. Just sayin...
    lolien
  • DraconicCynicDraconicCynic Member Posts: 3
    A hamster who just happens to be part of Minsc's good sense, holding on to whatever intelligence he lost when he hit his head.
  • WormkingWormking Member Posts: 60
    Boo is the real minsc
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    boo is boo.
    ThacoBellgorgonzolalolien
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    In the Spelljammer MC for AD&D, Miniature Giant Space Hamsters are actually mentioned as an offshoot of Giant Space Hamsters. Created by gnomes as beasts of burden in fantasy space, the GSH for short have a bunch of offshoots, one of which is the MGSH, which has identical stats to a normal hamster. Is it a gnomish re-engineering of the GSH or just a regular hamster snuck into space? Only the gnomes know... Anyway, it says they make good pets.
    DhariusThacoBell
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited May 2019
    The thing about Boo is that he mysteriously reappears with Minsc after the Spellplague (about 100 or so years after the events in the game) in the Legends of Baldur's Gate comics. Hey may have been an ordinary hamster once for all we know, but he's definitely not one anymore.

My theory is that he and Minsc became a kind of archetype, appearing where/when they are needed most.
    gorgonzolaSkatan
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Nuin wrote: »
    The thing about Boo is that he mysteriously reappears with Minsc after the Spellplague (about 100 or so years after the events in the game) in the Legends of Baldur's Gate comics. Hey may have been an ordinary hamster once for all we know, but he's definitely not one anymore.

My theory is that he and Minsc became a kind of archetype, appearing where/when they are needed most.

..and what does that make of Minsc, being a human who then lives for way more than 100 years without extending his life with magic; a Miniature Giant Space Human? :D
    ThacoBellBalrog99
    Skatan wrote: »
    Nuin wrote: »

..and what does that make of Minsc, being a human who then lives for way more than 100 years without extending his life with magic; a Miniature Giant Space Human? :D

He probably decided death was evil and kicked its butt.
    gorgonzolaSon_of_ImoenBalrog99Arvia
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited May 2019
    I've always accepted and imagined that Boo is much more than he seems, and probably even more than what Minsc thinks he is. The first time I played BG1 way back in 1999, I kept Minsc with me throughout and kept hoping there would be a story payoff later to what is implied. Alas, it is permanently all left up to the imaginations of players.
    ThacoBellArvia
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    I had never understood why everybody was so obsessed with Minsc and Boo when I was just playing BG2.

I don't know if I had just forgotten, or if it's added by NPC Project, but the many warnings in dangerous situations that Boo has given us recently made me wonder if he's indeed "something else".
    Maybe the avatar of some lesser known god, maybe the benevolent spirit of a former powerful Hathran protecting that courageous brain-damaged warrior and his witch, I don't know.

But I'm 100% sure that he's not a normal miniature giant space hamster, if such a thing even exists.
    BelgarathMTH
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    That's a strange poll. Minsc clearly explains that Boo is a Miniature Giant Space Hamster!
    ThacoBell
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Boo is a miniature giant space hamster.

Although the poll does raise an interesting hypothetical question - if boo really was a giant miniature space hamster then how small would a regular miniature space hamster be? Like ant sized or something?
    @Arvia They exist. The "spelljammer" setting takes place in the same world. Just on a cosmic scale. They giant space hamsters, as well as miniature giant space hamsters.
    Arviasemiticgoddess
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    What's the difference between a miniature giant space hamster and a giant miniature space hamster? Would one be black on the left-side and the other black on the right-side?
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    edited May 2019
    The difference is that giant space hamsters are a real thing in the D&D universe whereas miniature space hamsters are not :p

However regular hamsters are a thing in the D&D universe and in all respects are indistinguishable from miniature giant space hamsters. Which obviously makes it very hard (some might even say impossible) to tell them apart!
    Balrog99semiticgoddess