Skip to content

Only 2 points in two weapon style for blade?

iloveMRTiloveMRT Member Posts: 6
I have started new game of BG:EE with Blade. Finished game with max level however I was only able to add 2 points in two weapon style at start. I was not so worried as I thought I will be able to readjust my points when I transfer my character to BG2:EE. Unfortunately on BG2:EE my Blade still hast 2 points only. Should I reroll character or I will be able to get that 3rd point?

Comments

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Yes you should be able to add it later. It only affects the offhand so less essential than the first two pips
    gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited May 2019
    sure, the 3rd pip is less important, and in some cases like a buffed cleric even a single pip allow to dw efficiently.
    but the rogue thac0, that is used by a bard, if in the early game is good as he level up fast, in late game is sub optimal and even with all the gear that can boost thac0 i feel that a tob blade needs 3 pips if he want to dw and hit.

also in the original game only an attack/round was done with the oh weapon, in ee it is changed and a bard with only 2 pips, dw 2 speed weapons and improved hasted, do 4 attacks with the oh, so with a -4 to the thac0, as he will miss much more then with 3 pips the difference in his dmg output is quite noticeable every time he faces an enemy with good tob ac.

my tob buffed aerie has better oh thac0 then my haer dalis (that has 3 pips) at the same point of the game, and i care for my bards and give them good weapons and boosting items...
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited May 2019
    I usually recommend skipping dual-wield altogether in BG:EE on a Blade, where ideally you should be using throwing weapons, bows, Melf's Minute Meteors with Offensive Spin or Polymorph Self with Offensive Spin (try the ogre/spider/brown bear forms in particular).
    Blades remain quite powerful in EE but you'll have to use different tactics.

In BG2 you'll have access to plenty of ways to reduce your THAC0 to fighter-equivalent levels (strength belts, accessories like ioun stones and bracers, debuffs, even DUHM if your character is good/neutral, etc) and bows/throwing weapons/Melf's Minute Meteors/polymorph spells remain relevant so you can make do with starting with even zero dual-wield pips and just work on maxing it as you go along (because you WILL want to max it at some point).
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Nuin wrote: »
    I usually recommend skipping dual-wield altogether in BG:EE on a Blade, where ideally you should be using throwing weapons, bows, Melf's Minute Meteors with Offensive Spin or Polymorph Self with Offensive Spin (try the ogre/spider/brown bear forms in particular).
    Blades remain quite powerful in EE but you'll have to use different tactics.

OK, now I'm laughing my rear off at the idea of a Bear spinning around on its hind legs with claws flying everywhere. XD (This is like the time a player at my tabletop game permanently Polymorphed himself into a Stone Giant to take advantage of its increased strength and bigger base weapon damage due to size, and THEN stacking Cleric buff spells on top of them.) Never change, wacky D&D metagaming. Never change.
    ThacoBell
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited May 2019
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    also in the original game only an attack/round was done with the oh weapon, in ee it is changed and a bard with only 2 pips, dw 2 speed weapons and improved hasted, do 4 attacks with the oh, so with a -4 to the thac0, as he will miss much more then with 3 pips the difference in his dmg output is quite noticeable every time he faces an enemy with good tob ac.

OK, to be frank I haven't done much extensive playing since 1.3 but I think DW works like this:

Main hand
    1 base APR
    +1 from speed weapon
    +1 from off hand speed weapon
    +3 from doubling APR from IH
    Total = 6 APR

off hand
    1 base APR
    +1 from doubling APR from IH
    Total = 2 APR

Mainhand + offhand = 8 APR and the reduced THAC0 on your offhand should therefore only affect 2 APRs. In which order these attacks are executed, I have no idea and it's quite rare in my experience that you actually get off all attacks per round anyways since you move a little, animations, fling a spell, etc.
    gorgonzola
    edited May 2019
    i just did try it in the game and you are right, i was fooled by my experimentation with aerie that improved hasted has 4 apr while dw.
    in the original she gets 3 attacks with the MH and in EE she gets only 2.
    for a bard with 2 speed weapons or a fighter with more then 1 natural apr you are right.

what is strange is that with aerie or a 1 natural apr toon dw the OH is the first to strike, while if the apr is more then 1 by fighter type or speed weapon the OH attack is the last of the 3 seconds rounds a regular round split in during the improved haste.
    Skatan
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @gorgonzola I very much doubt that Aerie got only a single attack (with her off-hand weapon) per 6 seconds with Improved Haste.
    As you just said yourself, Improved Haste has, since the original Baldur's Gate II, worked by cutting the round into two mini rounds. It does not increase the number of attacks as such, it just runs your attacks twice. I do not see how she would be able to get just 1 attack in two (mini-) rounds if she is not under the effect of Slow.
    gorgonzola
    edited May 2019
    @Humanoid_Taifun i explained me wrongly, she gets the expected 4 attacks every 6 seconds, but as ee split the round in 2 3 seconds rounds if improved haste is used (at least to calculate the attacks, it is not true for spell casting and using items) she get 1 OH attack every shorted round.
    this mean that while in the original she does 3 attacks with the MH and 1 attack with the OH every 6 seconds in EE she does 2 with the MH and 2 with the OH every 6 seconds.

the sequences are:
    original
    MH MH MH OH
    ee
    OH MH , OH MH

while for who has more then 1 apr with the MH in the shorted round for figher's levels, proficiency or speed weapon use the sequences are, if the total DW is 8

original
    MH MH MH MH MH MH MH OH
    ee
    MH MH MH OH , MH MH MH OH

the comma splits the 6 seconds time in the 2 shorted rounds of 3 seconds.

I was experimenting with aerie so i noticed the different behavior, 1/2 attacks with OH instead of 1/4, and precedence to the OH weapon in the sequence and i was fooled by it assuming that it is also true if a character has more then 1 MH apr before improved haste.
    Post edited by gorgonzola on
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @gorgonzola As I just said, the round splitting has been a thing since the original Baldur's Gate 2. So there should be no difference.
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited May 2019
    Zaxares wrote: »
    OK, now I'm laughing my rear off at the idea of a Bear spinning around on its hind legs with claws flying everywhere. XD (This is like the time a player at my tabletop game permanently Polymorphed himself into a Stone Giant to take advantage of its increased strength and bigger base weapon damage due to size, and THEN stacking Cleric buff spells on top of them.) Never change, wacky D&D metagaming. Never change.

Interesting note, one of my personal weapon choices for a Blade in the BG series is actually the light crossbow (specifically crossbows of speed). The thing about crossbow bolts is that several unique ones have much higher than normal base damage (ranging from 1d10 to 2d6) which complement Offensive Spin very well when you need on-the-go/"I don't really feel like buffing for this battle" damage.

Have a happy mental image of a blade doing cheesy gun poses with a crossbow ala James Bond pewpew.
    SkatangorgonzolaThacoBell