Skip to content

Custom NPC Portraits Masterthread [Spoilers, obviously]

2»

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    @Cal_El

Custom portrait generator for Baldur's Gate
    This site should be all you need for cropping/resizing pictures in order to make vanilla BG, BG:EE, IWD:EE, and even PoE custom portraits.
    Cal_EllolienJuliusBorisov
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I can't answer the question about Mac apps, I use Paint Shop Pro X7 on Windows.

For the BG games the sizes are 210x330 for the L portrait and 169x266 for M.
    For Icewind Dale it's 420x660 and 169x266.

I make all mine at IWD size since the game will resize on the fly. As long as you keep the aspect ratio at 7x11 and make the portrait at the required size or larger, you'll be fine.
    Cal_EllolienJuliusBorisov
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I updated the start post. Went ahead and cropped some of the zoomed out pictures, added the new ones and removed some older ones that don't work in game.

The latter one also had me add a new rule, portraits that either require you cut off too much of the face and/or require too much negative space to resized to the BG format are now against the rules as well.
    Troodon80lolienJuliusBorisov
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014
    Those both are just great!
    JuliusBorisovButtercheeseCrevsDaaklolien
  • IsatisIsatis Member Posts: 6
    Too bad cant download @norilm portraits empty link..i d love to play with some character i never used, i would use with this charisma boost.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited April 2017
    I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. Meant to post it in the custom NPCs and portraits thread.
    Post edited by Quickblade on
    CrevsDaak
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I can't play BG anymore without @artastrophe PaintBG portrait pack. Even when I look for custom portraits for Charname I search something that fits his/her style.
    Aerakarmegamike15
  • asha11asha11 Member Posts: 1
    above the slopes where the trees grow and where the wind is thin and the cold wind revolves – dwells the reclusive goliath 5e. Some individuals can claim to have friendship and fewer can claim to have seen them. Goliaths wander on a bleak of rock, cold, and wind. source
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Raduziel said:

I can't play BG anymore without @artastrophe PaintBG portrait pack. Even when I look for custom portraits for Charname I search something that fits his/her style.

i'm the same way. most of my custom portraits come from packs from their deviant art page. this does cause me having more female portraits then male ones tho. 42 to 24.
    lefreutRaduziel
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    I've a problem. I find nice portrait for may fighter. The problem is that I want to have a full portrait in character sheet but small one zoomed to face in main screen. It was possible in orginal with naming portraits "L" and "S". If I do it that way now it isn't working.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Use 'M' instead of 'S' for the small portrait.
    SikorskyRodrianlolien
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    Thank you @BillyYank!
    lolien
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    1jdu6z5dryo7.png

I use this for when Imoen goes to the Underdark

xzgo8ewt03ns.png

Obv Im no artist, but Im enjoying doing some drow-like edits, so I think I'll upload a pack once I've done them all if anyone's interested
    RaduzielgorgonzolaJuliusBorisov
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    fluke13 wrote: »

Obv Im no artist, but Im enjoying doing some drow-like edits, so I think I'll upload a pack once I've done them all if anyone's interested
    it is a quite good work. if you blur a little the transitions between the armor and the neck and the head ad hairs it can even become better, at now is to evident that it is a collage of different parts assembled together, even if i scroll this page to see it at the dimension i would have seen it in game.
    the proper professional level way to have the hairs merge really well with he rest is much more complicated, but a little work with a pen set to blur is an easy fix that should give you a noticeable result without much knowledge needed. if you blurr the edge of the hairs before adding them to the collage is even better, but this mean to do again most of the work, but you can do it in future projects, that way the hairs and armor transition on the left would have been much more credible.

those are tips to let you improve, i repeat that it is a good work and i appreciate it, mine is not a criticism to it.

fluke13lolienJuliusBorisov
    @gorgonzola constructive criticism is very welcome, normally with art, or even life in general, help comes with a price tag, so I really appreciate any advice. I'm going to follow what you said when I start the next one. At the moment you can probably see my technique involves editing the original and multiple other pieces, such as hair... having multiple layer copies with different colour, shadow filters, combining with layer masks and transparency. I use GIMP because free things are always the best heh. I'd already started on Minsc before I saw your comment, so will start implementing your technique on the next one. I particularly enjoyed making an evil version of Boo :D
    gorgonzolalolien
    eh4w6c31kqc7.bmp
    AerakarlolienJuliusBorisovGusinda
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    wow, that boo scares me, like every respectable drow hamster should do...
    i like it!
    AerakarJuliusBorisov
  • Ser_ElrykSer_Elryk Member Posts: 72
    @Deucetipher Wow! What a nice surprise! Thank you so much! =D
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    Ser_Elryk wrote: »
    @Deucetipher Wow! What a nice surprise! Thank you so much! =D

Better late than never, lol. ?