Skip to content

Is there any bonus to getting thieving skills above 100?

I was under the impression that a thief skill of 100 was 100% so it doesn't matter where I put additional ones once they are all at 100, is this true?

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Even for the skills that top out at 100%, it is possible for equipment modifiers or DEX penalties to take you below 100 unless you give yourself a 10-20 point cushion in traps/locks. Though many would argue you don't need to be near 100 in those skills since you can just use potions when needed.
    gorgonzola2088432
  • 20884322088432 Member Posts: 229
    jsaving wrote: »
    Even for the skills that top out at 100%, it is possible for equipment modifiers or DEX penalties to take you below 100 unless you give yourself a 10-20 point cushion in traps/locks. Though many would argue you don't need to be near 100 in those skills since you can just use potions when needed.

Thanks for the info. :)
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Thieving abilities explained
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/75133/thieving-abilities-explained

i don't know any better source then that to answer.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited May 2019
    @2088432 @jmerry "This is true for Open Locks, Find/Remove Traps, Set Traps, and Detect Illusion."

Not actually true for Open locks and find traps. There are a small handful of locks and traps (maybe 4-5) That require scores around 110 to unlock/disarm. So really, set traps and detect illusion are the ONLY skills who cap out at 100.
    StummvonBordwehrgorgonzola
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    When you are level drained, your thief skills also drop. In the midst of combat it can impair a thief's skill in detect illusions, for example. If you are above 100 in some skills that are used in combat (like detect illusions/hide/move silently) even with level drain the thief can function well in combat. However this is a very limited justification, open locks and find traps are mostly used when out of combat, where level drain can be fixed.
    Grond0gorgonzola