Skip to content

Odd question on BG1...

odessa333odessa333 Member Posts: 59
edited October 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
Hi all!

I kind of had an odd problem, and was hoping some one here is smarter than me to help fix it.

Setup: I was in the midst of saving a game when my PC crashed. Total black screen, had to restart the whole system. I reloaded the PC, and went to Gatekeeper, the baldur gate save game editor. I had saved the game in the first place so i could go into gatekeeper and give myself an angel skin ring as i had forgot to keep one for the guy in baldur's gate. Thing was? Gatekeeper loaded the save, and it found nothing on the file. No characters, no items, nothing. I thought I did something wrong, so i loaded a different save file, and it worked fine. I went back to the first file, and still nothing found. Thinking it weird, I went to load baldur's gate itself, see if something was amiss. It was. I load Baldur's gate. I click load game, and baldur's gate instantly crashes with the error message:

"An assertion failed in D:\dev\baldur\infscreenload.cpp at line number 1358."

At this point, I'm pretty sure I have a corrupted save file or something, as the game itself plays (if I go to new game and don't try to save or load, it works fine). So since I had a back up save not that long ago, I figure I'll go into my save files, delete the potentially corrupted file, and see if that works.

Only thing is... I can't find my save files.

Now I know where they're SUPPOSED to be. I have a file labeled Gog.com, under is the baldur's gate files, and there is a folder for saved games. Only...it's empty. I go back to gatekeeper, and it has an option that shows where it's getting its game from (or at least, what i assumed) and it says it's path is getting my game from this save file folder....that's empty. Now I can't access my save files from the baldur's gate program itself, but gatekeeper is still able to get the information of all my files except the one I think is corrupted. So the save files exist, they load fine normally, and gatekeeper still sees them...only I can't find them on my computer no matter how hard i search.

At this point, I have no idea what to do. I don't know for sure if it is a corrupted file or not, where my save files are, or how to play the game at this point at all. If anyone can make heads or tails of this issue, I would LOVE to hear from you, as I am stumped.

Thank you for your time,

Vicky

Post edited by odessa333 on

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited October 2012
    It looks like the files are hidden, and you'll have to enable "Show hidden files and folders" through the Control Panel. You'll have to google the specific instructions for your OS.
  • odessa333odessa333 Member Posts: 59
    I didn't know a computer could do that....huh. Anyway, an interesting idea, but alas, I went into my control panel and it supposedly already shows hidden files and folders. Unless the computer is lying to me, and at this point, I wouldn't put it past this machine lol.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    You may have a system file corruption. Try to run a disk check tool on the partition where the game is installed and pray it's a simple file table corruption.
  • odessa333odessa333 Member Posts: 59
    Ha ha! Success! I called up my tech guru, and he told me to try something simple: google the problem. I thought, what would that do? I know where the save files are supposed to be, what else could google tell me?

Much, apparently. I had to click "compatibility files" at the top of my screen while inside my baldur's gate folder, and suddenly, there were all my save files. I deleted the file I suspected was corrupt, and just like that, all my games load and play just fine now.