Skip to content

Has Project Image Been Nerfed?

Just something I noticed on my current BG2 run, where I planned on taking down that one Balor the same way I've done several times before - by having a mage cast Fireshield: Blue, plus Stoneskin, Mirror Image, PFMW, and all that good stuff. But all that with a Project Image clone, to reduce risk and spell consumption. And so I sent my Edwin hologram to do its thing, and well...

A couple problems emerged. Big one was that although Edwin had two PFMW prepared, my clone didn't have a single one ready to cast. Also, I noticed that he only had one Mirror Image prepared, even though Edwin had two. Looking down the spell list, it looked like a fair few of Edwin's prepared spells were missing. Is this a bug, or did they nerf the Project Image spell? I'm not sure I could blame them if they did, since it's one of the most OP spells in the game, but still, I'm sick, sick sick of patches and updates I don't even hear about changing a dozen different rules without telling me. So, yeah, if anyone else has experienced this, I can get to the bottom of this issue.

Comments

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Ah, that explains it. Perhaps I need to rearrange his memorizations, so the important ones are ready when I use that spell.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    @kjeron do you know if this bug is reported, will it be fixed for the next patch?

Related, do you know if they're working on a way to reorder spells for clones & such?
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Abi_Dalzim wrote: »
    Ah, that explains it. Perhaps I need to rearrange his memorizations, so the important ones are ready when I use that spell.

beware that in EE the order in which you memorize the spells is still recorded and used in some instances, like when he looses some spells for level drain, the last chosen are the first he loose, but for clones, at least the simulacrum, EE uses instead the alphabetical order, you don't have any control on the spells the clone will loose if not changing the spell names with a modding tool.

i am not sure that this is also true for the PI clone of edwin, but i suspect that it is so.
    if it is true, considering how powerful is the PI and that edwin's one not only loose the bonus spells but can be even less powerful compared with the PI of an other mage, as there can be a redundancy of spells not needed at the cost of spells needed, it makes edwin less wonderful that it seems compared to the other mages from the point a mage has lev 7 spells on.

Related, do you know if they're working on a way to reorder spells for clones & such?
    if it can help i posted a feature request in the red mine 2 months ago and is still flagged as new, so probably no one is working at it at the moment.

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @kjeron do you know if this bug is reported, will it be fixed for the next patch?
    It's not necessarily a bug - the clones created by these spells shouldn't have fully functional duplicate items in the first place. If Edwin's bonus spell slots are intended to represent his "Red Wizard" status and not effects granted directly by a magical amulet, they would be better applied directly to his creature file as permanent effects, as that would also avoid a similar issue caused by polymorphing.
    @kjeron most of the duplicates of the items created with clones are fully functional, as you tell only the irremovable npc items behave differently. i don't know why the developers choose to use items and not directly apply the effects to the creatures, but i also don't see a reason why those items should work in a different way.
    if the items of the clones would not be functional, thing that could have been implemented, but is not so at least for the regular items, i suppose that the simulacrums of fighter mages or of fighters obtained with the helm would have been much less appealing, as they rely on items to deal damage.

at now the way simulacrums and for edwin also the pi loose certain spells, without any control from the player on which ones are lost is a problem, i don't know if it is a bug or an intended change (in the original game the player has control on it), but i think that it should be changed.
    i don't think that the proposed temporary solution of changing the name of the spell files is a real solution, as a player is not supposed to use modding tools to play his game and as not all the players are able to do it, in the case of edwin using a simulacrum he loose spells both from the amulet not working and for the level drain, simulacrum should not be only a tool for F/M and fighters with the helm of vahilor, it is a spell useful also for the mages as it is immune to true sight and don't freeze the mage so the caster and the clone can work in tandem.

the EE behavior makes the simulacrums and for edwin also the pi much less useful if used to cast and not to deal physical damage.
    i strongly suspect that when the EE developers changed the way the spells are displayed in the spell book completely missed the problem with the spells the clones can miss, so i think that it is a bug, maybe not the fact that edwin's pi loose spells, but the fact that the player has no control at all on the thing.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    Yeah, it's definitely a bug, as per @gorgonzola 's reasoning. Either all items should add their spells or none should, and all other sources are added to the PI's spells. It's definitely just an oversight/bug.