Skip to content

What kind of magic items are you hoping are added to BG:EE?

Comments

• recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    1) Staves for Mage/Sorcerers, Rings for Mage/Sorcerers
    2) Boots for anyone that aren't Boots of Speed (not that I don't love them!)
    3) Spears, Maces, Bracers, Belts & Bows
    4) Class-specific gear for Druids, probably a couple for Monks, for Rangers, for Sorcerers, for Thieves

Items that don't have a mundane title. Baldur's Gate always personalised really nifty or powerful items, which was much better than +1 Fire Axe, and +2 Poison Dagger. Because names like that are so unimpressive and boring!
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    Platinum pantaloons
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Another thing "of speed" so we can use boots to something else (there's an leather armor that give haste, but only in ToB).
  • CyricSpawnCyricSpawn Member Posts: 74
    I'd like a Wild Mage specific item, maybe that increase the chance of a surge but also give a boost to the roll if it did happen. Like a permanent chaos Shield with a downside. Not too unfair...

Also some more fun bows. Maybe an oath bow?
  • PraepoitusPraepoitus Member Posts: 8
    Worg said:

A book of temptation, that permanently increases your intelligence, but permanently curses you and/or changes your alignment as well. Also, you cant judge a book by its cover. So all the permastat boosting book will be randomised and unidentifiable.

You may not be able to judge a book from its cover, but you can certainly identify it. That's what titles are for ;)
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    The best way to judge a book, without actually reading it, is by it's cover. There's the Title and the Author and usually a big ol' picture. There's usually a summary on the back over. And if you include the inside cover there's usually even more information!
  • ColoPcTechColoPcTech Member Posts: 1
    Items... ah.. Items.. One of the things that tempt me in other forms of RPG have been +2 -1 stat items.. potions as well as perm items, rings etc.. sometimes you score.. +20 int -10 strength ( mage anyone) sometimes you really have to thing (+12 agi -6 con) .... and its those choices that makes the game feel less scripted and more about choices. nothing is free, and swapping a +2 for a +3 of the same stat gets old by +30. also would like to see items of polymorph. change self, change others.. get annoyed at a NPC, turn them into a rat for 15 mins... got a friend you want to like you? make em a dragon ....
  • Robe...of...Vecna

...failing that magical oriental weapons (katanas, wakizashis, ninja-tos) or mage-related items

:D
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    edited October 2012
    @Dragonspear Fair point, but I think of expansion content as almost being in a separate category, and those items aren't available for a large chunk of Baldur's Gate.

This means that for the bulk of the game, the generic quarterstaff +1 and sling +1 are the only options available.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Brude

Staff of Striking is a buyable item not a drop so I think we CAN count it here. Staff Mace +2 and Staff Spear +2 (both of which I seem to remember in BG1) are in Chapter 5 if I remember correctly. I'm not saying there aren't more just pointing out what items there are.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Since there are no animal companions for rangers, perhaps an animal figurine? I liked the spider from BG2.
    There's the animal figurine that you adquire after the ranger stonghold in fact (there's another for druid stronghold also).
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    edited October 2012
    kamuizin said:

There's the animal figurine that you adquire after the ranger stonghold in fact (there's another for druid stronghold also).

Not in BG1 though, which is what we're talking about.
    Post edited by salieri on
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    Wider selection of cursed items, preferably integrated in mini-quests, like the Ring of Folly
    which you found on the body of Tiber's brother, which was most likely what got the poor lad killed.
    . Of course, some cursed items locked in a vault for safe keeping, or found in a fish after it'd been flung into the sea are fine too. ;) It would also be cool if you could sell them to the vendor in Baldur's Gate (the one who sells cursed scrolls) for better price than in any other store.

Four or five more pair of boots, each with unique properties (not six pairs of boots of speed like in ToB. Sure it was convenient - but also soooooo boring!)
    Five or six more belts/girdles, each with unique properties (not six belts of "[(insert type of]giant strength". Again - it got boring).

My reasoning for the above is such: There are 6 unique cloaks in BG1 (+2 added by ToSC), plus a good number of generic 'protection +1' cloaks. Since you had max. of 6 party members, that meant you could chose the ones that best complimented your companion's abilities, and sell the ones you had no use for in this particular playthrough. There is also a reasonable number of usable gloves/braces and rings. With boots and belts though - not so. There are only (I think) five types of boots and three types of belts in the game, so even if you don't much care for the particular pair, it's either it, or going barefoot/with your pants sliding down. ;P

On that note, it would be neat if there where not-magical cloaks in BG1, with descriptions like "This thick woolen cloak inexpertly knitted for you by Phlydia doesn't have any special properties, but it will keep you worm in cold weather". :D

I agree with @salieri about a figurine summoning a magical creature (Summoned spider plus a web spell = win, and Cerebus was best pseudo-party member!). I have a moral hangover after using any summon spell, since they summons actual, living creatures, enslave them and force them to die at my whim. But with the figurine, as far as I remember, the figurine itself would come to life for a period of time, and would revert back to being figurine after being killed. No more moral dilemma! ;)

I would also like to see magical artifacts that only work once, or only in specific place/circumstances, being a part of some quest. (I.e. - the rod that killed the unseeing eye, amulet that keeps the shadow dragon asleep, Idol of Kozah that 'summons' the Doomsayer and can be made into another item, etc).

And, of course, a small bag of holding torn from Tranzig's dying hands. :P
    Some use to cursed items would be GREAT in fact.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited October 2012
    I always liked the composite shortbows from Item Revisions (I think?!).

A Thief specific buckler would be nice, Rogue Rebalancing added in a load of Thief specific items such as the utility belt, really helps reinstate the fact that Thieves carry tools and are crafty.
    Well kiel's buckler is pretty awersome for thiefs, a shame it isn't carried to BG II (+1 buckler that add +1 point of dexterity).
  • 10thLich10thLich Member Posts: 99
    @ boots
    In BG1 you can get:
    1x Boots of the North - cold resistance
    1x Boots of Avoidance - AC vs missiles
    1x Boots of Grounding - electricity resistance
    2x Boots of Stealth - Stealth Bonus
    2x Boots of Speed

10th
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    A bag of holding would be great.
    @10thLich where you counted 2 boots of speed? cos i know there's one in the cloakwood mines in an assassination attempt, the 2° that i know is with one of the 2 Iron Throne mercenaries that you meet in the northeast part of the city, the one that make the poison quest. If you kill both of them there, you get the boots from one of them, but that's not a normal player behavior so probally exist a third boot of speed.
  • 10thLich10thLich Member Posts: 99
    @kamuizin
    Yes, I meant those two.

10th
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    How about something for wizards to wear on their head / helmet slot?

Yeah... I'm the guy after hoods... But TOB added lots of ioun stones. How about some circlets of intelligence, or -1 to AC bonus circlet thingies for them to use... Hell my wizard would wear glasses if it could give an extra boost to lore. Very useful at the start of the game.
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    Anduin said:

How about something for wizards to wear on their head / helmet slot?

Yeah... I'm the guy after hoods... But TOB added lots of ioun stones. How about some circlets of intelligence, or -1 to AC bonus circlet thingies for them to use... Hell my wizard would wear glasses if it could give an extra boost to lore. Very useful at the start of the game.

There need to be some pointy hats for wizards. :)
    Edwin will rejoice with it, then he would only need a thousand years to beat Elminster.
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    A returning enchanted throwing dagger & dart.

@Dragonspear isn't the Staff of striking in Durlags Tower? The quarter staff + 3 is sold.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Isair

Either way there is a +3 enchanted quarterstaff available for purchase. Frankly its even better its a plain one and not a staff of striking cause then you won't be limited by charges.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited October 2012
    kamuizin said:

Some use to cursed items would be GREAT in fact.

Adding one or two cursed items of Opposite Alignment would be nice. I'd like to "convert" some of the good NPCs to my evil party. >:)

Anyone ever find the Helm of Opposite Alignment in ToTSC? I don't remember picking it up from the Demon Knight who was supposed to have it.

@Mortianna, this must be a urban legend surely, i never found this helmet.
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    @kamuizin Kill the Demonknight when he appears on the first floor of Durlags Tower, he drops both the helm & full plate +1.