Skip to content

Standalone installers for offline install/backup?

Is there a way to download a standalone installer that can be installed offline? I would like to be able to back up these games to disc, etc...

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    to back up the games you can simply copy and paste some folders.
    i am not sure that this allow to run them on an other computer, probably not, i suppose that some registry keys and other stuff would be missing.
    at least it allows to have multiple versions of the game (let's say vanilla and with different mod settings) on the same system and use them without the hassle to install and uninstall the mods every time.

afaik there is not a standalone installer, but is possible to buy versions of some games that use dvd as support, versions that can not be upgraded. this is the only legal way to have a version of the game that has a physical backup, so you can play it on a computer that lacks of internet access or on a new system without having to download again all the game (thing that can be both very long and cost money in some digital divide zones where you have only a slow internet and pay for the data you download and not a flat fee).

i am not completely found of the modern way and i prefer the old way based on physical supports and standalone installers. it seems odd to me to buy a game and, if the company that sold it discontinued it or is no more existing, to loose what i payed as soon as i change computer, but this is how the things are nowadays.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    It's possible to download all the game via the Beamdog Client, and then you can copy them wherever you need.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @JuliusBorisov also on a new system with maybe a different OS?
    for different OS i mean both shifting from windows to mac or linux, but also shifting let's say from win7 to win 10.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    It will still work.
    gorgonzola