Skip to content

What would be a fun character for a SoU/HotU run?

So, I recently finished the Neverwinter Nights Original Campaign with a Bard 6/Fighter 1/Dragon Disciple 10. It was fun enough, but especially once I got ridonkulous strength and +4 halberd.

Anyway, I’ve heard that the combined Shadows of Undrentide-Hordes of the Underdark campaign is better than the OC, and I’m trying to come up with a character for my first run through of the campaign.

So I’m soliciting some advice, I suppose. What characters have you all played in those modules, and why were they fun?

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    I personally enjoyed my run as a monk/rogue/staff weapon master. Pumped most of my skills into Use Magic Device for the magic items and scrolls, and Tumble for AC. There's a lot of miscellaneous magic items floating around the game so you can get a lot of mileage out of UMD, or just by being a caster.

Druids are also always enjoyable because Dragons.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Paladins get a special treat in SoU. Mages are underrepresented among the companions.
  • Tad_Has_A_Cold_OliveTad_Has_A_Cold_Olive Member Posts: 183
    Thanks for the suggestions so far, folks. UMD does sound like a neat skill to boost, and so far I'm thinking that a Cleric with a dash of Rogue levels might be what I go with.

Does that sound like a good idea? If it is, is there a 3rd class that I should throw into the mix?
  • CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    edited July 2019
    I know this is a bit late to comment but my personal preference is Wizard, in SOU there are several sections that benefit from having a Caster with an adaptable spellbook and at one section there is an Orb in some ruins and if any Caster uses 3 defensive spells on it you get a Spellstaff that lets you use those 3 spells once per day as a Spell Sequencer at the LVL you cast them.

In HOTU there is a Golem crafting bench and it requires Sorcerer or Wizard to active, also there are 4 pillars attached to the bench and the combination of spells you can cast on it gives you a bit of personalisation.

Throughout both XP's you come across some powerfull Casters and I found the Wizard was my favourite way to match their power.

Downside.....low HP ?
  • CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    Oh and without giving names the final boss in HOTU doesn't have Acid resistance, good old 3rd LVL spells Mestils Acid Breath comes in handy.
  • ByTheSwordByTheSword Member Posts: 9
    There are some nice quests/items for the Paladin.
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2019
    @Tad_Has_A_Cold_Olive Holy crap! Stephen Colbert in a fantasy role-playing game portrait. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
  • alesplinalesplin Member Posts: 4
    I just finished a run of SoU and HotU playing as a Bard/Champion of Torm. Basically I did 10 levels of Bard (got me well into the last chapter of SoU), then added Champion of Torm levels until I was Bard 10/Champion of Torm 14, then I added my last 3 levels before I finished HotU as Bard to boost my Persuade skill for the final persuasions. I viewed this character as sort of a Bladesinger concept, with the longsword as my main weapon, graduating to 2 longswords around the end of the Underdark portion of HotU.

It was an amazingly fun play through. Bard song was a key factor (though it would be awesome if my song and Deekin's would stack), and I focused mainly on defensive casting. It was certainly no walk in the park. There were a couple of fights that were difficult due to not having super high AC (I was holding myself to 10% arcane spell failure chance, as I viewed the casting aspect of Bard-hood as a Thing I Was Doing™), but by the time I got to the last chapter of HotU I was a devil-mowing machine.