Skip to content

Safana/Imoen changed?

I've only played Siege of Dragonspear twice. The first time I didn't have Imoen in my party at the end of BG1, so that's that.

However this time I did and when I started SOD Imoen wasn't replaced by Safana. I was just a member down (had 5 members for the initial dungeon.)

Was this a change? All I've ever read on these forums is that if you have Imoen, she's replaced by Safana.

Comments

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Yes, Imoen is not a joinable party member in SoD in the original game.

If you want that Imoen remains in the party at least in the first SoD dungeon, have a look at my mod Imoen 4 Ever which enables this. (Mod forum at G3 is being set up currently.)
    JuliusBorisovAndreaColombo
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited July 2019
    This seems like a bad design to me. Safana should replace Imoen, even if your main character is a thief, otherwise you might be scuppered thief-skills-wise on import.

Similarly if you had both ladies in your party at the end of BG1, then Imoen should be replaced by someone else, but I don’ t know who this should be (Biff the Understudy perhaps?) or the mechanics of achieving it.

The reasons for this is that otherwise some parties may lose a party member on the first dungeon, through no fault of their own, and this just isn’t very fair.
    lefreut
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    @megamike15
    I didn't know that. My main is a sorcerer.

@jastey
    I know that, I've played SOD before. I think you misunderstood my OP.

@Dharius
    Those are interesting thoughts, but have nothing to do with my OP. Thanks for sharing, though.

I ended BG1 with Imoen, but I didn't begin SOD with Safana, as everyone has said should happen. I just had a 5 person party instead. My main is a sorcerer. I DID have Coran, though. He's half-thief - maybe that's why?

I wasn't really bothered with it, I just wondered if Beamdog changed it. I guess not.
    edited July 2019
    @Baptor You are right, I misread you actual question. Now my self-promotion looks totally out of place! :D

On topic: since 2.5, the thief abilities of the other party members are checked, and Safana replaces only Imoen if a certain trap detection and removal ability is underscored.
    BaptorJuliusBorisovSkatan
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    jastey wrote: »
    @Baptor You are right, I misread you actual question. Now my self-promotion looks totally out of place! :D

On topic: since 2.5, the thief abilities of the other party members are checked, and Safana replaces only Imoen if a certain trap detection and removal ability is underscored.

Perfect! Makes sense too. I guess the original intent was not to leave you in that dungeon with no thief and no way to get one since its full of traps and locks. Thanks!
    JuliusBorisovSkatan
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    @jastey ah I didn’t know that. Well that’s good then :)
    Since I already started the self-promotion I hope it's ok that I post a link to the G3 site of the mod Imoen4Ever now that it's revealed. So, if you want to have Imoen stay in the party in Korlasz's Crypt, this is the mod for you (plan is to make her a full SoD companion but that's not done yet):
    Link to mod page at G3
    leeuxBaptor
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    to be fair i actually did not really mind imoen not being in sod. if anything it allowed an open party slot for corwin who i consider some what canon to it. and if i needed a thief i'd just use glint.

my only real issue with that imoen forever mod comes from the bg 2 part. it kinda kills alot of the motivation for chapter 2 and 3 just having her not be kidnapped and alot of banters and story stuff makes little sense if she is with you that early.
    Imoen4Ever is a mod that you definitely do not have to play if you never wanted Imoen not be kidnapped. I'm not trying to sound patronizing, I really mean it. If you think it kills the BGII spirit, please do not install it. For me, it's a (old) dream come true.
    megamike15