Skip to content

Multiplayer Lobby Servers Down for BG:EE

SpabbSpabb Member Posts: 10
As of my earliest personal attempt on the evening of 6/30/19 @ 11:46pm CST, I was unable to connect to the Multiplayer Lobby to play with my two brothers! Confirmed just now, 7/1/19 @ 10:44am CST, still getting, “Finding The Network Devices On This Host...” and then time’s out after a good while unable to see any games.

There is an tread on Steam of several of us folk who have active multiplayer games of Baldur’s Gate: EE who are getting the same issue, including my two brothers. Steam forum here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/1640915206462923179/

Please, please fix this if possible! Absolutely LOVE this game, have spent a great deal of time creating custom portraits, sound set voice overs and hours playing with my bros! We have our work weeks coordinated around our game time, and, due to different schedules, have only a couple days to play a week. It has been an awesome way to stay connected as we live in different states/time zones!

Any assistances is verily appreciated!
Post edited by Spabb on
SteveRogers41SkatanRAM021

Comments

• SpabbSpabb Member Posts: 10
    Any Heroic Heroes available to lend their wisdom and insight?
  • KillianKKillianK Member Posts: 4
    I am facing the same problem since yesterday. How can we solve it, guys? Come on, help us, please!
    Spabb
    Hey @KillianK

Turns out it is National Canada Day today and so everyone at BeamDog is on Holiday celebrating! They have been kind enough to take the time to let us know they'll look into it tomorrow when they return to the office, quoted here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/c7mj3o/servers_available/

A fellow gamer posted the issue to BeamDog's Bug reporting page, can follow updates here:

https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/40720

Additionally, seems like the Steam community is fairly active about the issue and providing some helpful links here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/1640915206462923179/

And even one of those members mentioned (last comment on the Steam thread) some VPN networking tool that remote LANs multiple computers called, "Hamachi," was allowing access as a work-around. My brothers and I may try that in the short run; at least until BeamDog returns from their Holiday.

Just wanted to share a small update on progress.

BeamDog, sorry for interrupting your Holiday! Happy Canada Day to you all, hope it has been a good one.
    JuliusBorisovRAM021
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Sorry, everyone! The issue happened on Sunday, and Monday was a holiday. The office developers will look at the issue when they arrive (~in 2 hours).
    Spabb
  • WarDuckWarDuck Member Posts: 2
    Any word on this got this game for a few people so we could stream together best laid plans I guess?
    Spabb
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Our office developers are working on this. No ETA at the moment.
    SpabbArdentSkatan
  • WarDuckWarDuck Member Posts: 2
    ok Thanks
    JuliusBorisovSpabb
    @JuliusBorisov Thanks for the updates! Much appreciated!
    JuliusBorisov
  • SalvanusSalvanus Member Posts: 43
    @JuliusBorisov I see the servers are listing again but my friend and I have been unable to connect to each others games that we host. Do you know if this issue is still on-going? Nothing has changed on our end as far as network settings. Thanks in advance!
    Spabb
    Spabb wrote: »
    Hey @KillianK

Turns out it is National Canada Day today and so everyone at BeamDog is on Holiday celebrating! They have been kind enough to take the time to let us know they'll look into it tomorrow when they return to the office, quoted here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/c7mj3o/servers_available/

A fellow gamer posted the issue to BeamDog's Bug reporting page, can follow updates here:

https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/40720

Additionally, seems like the Steam community is fairly active about the issue and providing some helpful links here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/1640915206462923179/

And even one of those members mentioned (last comment on the Steam thread) some VPN networking tool that remote LANs multiple computers called, "Hamachi," was allowing access as a work-around. My brothers and I may try that in the short run; at least until BeamDog returns from their Holiday.

Just wanted to share a small update on progress.

BeamDog, sorry for interrupting your Holiday! Happy Canada Day to you all, hope it has been a good one.

Oh, thank you, Spabb!
    I didn't know Steam community was active about this issue... I did not find anything there
    Now my problem is: I can see the rooms and all but I am unable to connect... :(
    Spabbphyrr2
    Same here @KillianK :(
    Spabb
  • SteveRogers41SteveRogers41 Member Posts: 33
    Great, it seems to be fixed! I can see the list of games, and we're able to connect!
    Spabb
    Excellent news @SteveRogers41! Thanks for posting! Happy gathering your party before venturing forth.
    SteveRogers41
  • SimulationCommanderSimulationCommander Member Posts: 2
    Still not working for me or my friends :(
    phyrr2Spabb
  • phyrr2phyrr2 Member Posts: 3
    As of 9:43pm PST, neither BG1 or BG2 servers are working. You can browse and see games but it always sits on "Waiting for information from server" and doesn't go any further. I've been testing this for two hours with two other people living in different areas. We already successfully ran a game before the June 30th server outage.

So did the quick fix done on July 1st only fix it partially and leave other problems? Watching the servers in the list, it looks like they cycle out pretty quickly compared to normal so I'm guessing others are fiddling around as well.

Just had two friends buy these games a few days ago on my advice. Going to feel like an idiot if this can't work sometime soon :)
    SimulationCommanderSpabbtinkanna
    Not working for me either as well, same issue as @phyrr2 :(
    SimulationCommanderSpabb
    edited July 2019
    It was fixed yesterday. I have just checked - everything works: creating a game, joining that game.
    @JuliusBorisov sorry to say it was not working for me either last night after this fix. (11:00pm CST)

My two brothers are able to play on a LAN and it worked for them. We all could see the games being hosted on the list, but when I tried to connect to their game it never got passed the “waiting for information from server.”

Seems like perhaps it may be working for some, but not everyone as before?
    phyrr2SimulationCommander
    Funny enough I had an exchange with someone last night through creating names for games. First there was one to the effect of "IS THE SERVER DOWN?" which I responded with a new server named "YES THE SERVERS SEEM TO BE DOWN :(".

Two minutes later a server goes up: "THAT'S TOO BAD, DARN".

So obviously there were other people just as frustrated. Whatever the fix was the other day, it doesn't apply to everyone. As of thid morning st 7:00am PST, they still don't work. Got one server to display the multiplayer chat window while stuck on "waiting for info from server" but that's the only difference I've seen.
    SpabbSimulationCommander
    Ok, I followed up.

Part of the fix involves a DNS update. Those can take some time to propagate, which might be causing these issues for some users (and for some - not).

If it happens more than 48 hours after the fix (which happened 16 hours before this message), please let us know.
    Spabb
    edited July 2019
    @JuliusBorisov Understood! I will update after said time, when able to play/test again. Thanks for getting back to us all concerning this issue.

I may quickly suggest that you run a test also when connecting outside of your local network. As for me and my brothers playing, The connections work perfectly for them as they are already on a local network, but I was unable to connect as I am not local.

In any case I hope the DNS cascading resets fixes it and we can all get back to our parties venturing forth normally! Thanks again to the BeamDog team for getting this rolling quickly.
    Post edited by Spabb on
    JuliusBorisovphyrr2
    Ok, I followed up.

Part of the fix involves a DNS update. Those can take some time to propagate, which might be causing these issues for some users (and for some - not).

If it happens more than 48 hours after the fix (which happened 16 hours before this message), please let us know.

I can enter in multiplayer rooms... but my game crashes just when the lobby appears. Every single time...
    Spabbtinkanna
    Still unable to connect to my friend's game and vice versa (or any game for that matter) - 10pm EST Wednesday July 3rd
    Spabb
    edited July 2019
    Small update: looks like as of 12:57AM CST it is not working WITHOUT using LogMeIn Hamachi to create a LAN for a work around. If it thinks I am on a Local Area Network as my Venturing Party, it works just fine connecting through the Realm list.

This means it still does not work connecting normally. Just an FYI update.
    Doing my best to keep my friends from getting refunds through Steam on BG1 & BG2. I hope this multiplayer issue gets fixed soon!
    Grond0SimulationCommanderSpabb
  • tinkannatinkanna Member Posts: 1
    The server is still down and am not able to either host or connect with friends to play, I hope that it is fixed soon please
    Spabb
    48 hours haven't passed yet. Only 36.
    Spabb
  • DeathAngelKariDeathAngelKari Member Posts: 1
    44 hours passed and still no solution. So 4 hours to go then until the solution is final?
    What exactly is/was the problem, does anyone know?
    tinkannaSpabb
    I've asked to look into the problem again.
    SpabbSimulationCommandertinkanna
    44 hours passed and still no solution. So 4 hours to go then until the solution is final?
    What exactly is/was the problem, does anyone know?

As far as I can tell, the Multiplayer Servers went down due to a DNS update being needed to be applied. This probably cause some new bugs to pop-up while fixing others, and caused the outage.

So far, only people already on a Local Area Network (LAN) can host/join games and connect to play. Anything over the general internet times out while receiving information from the host computer.

Hope that helps explain it some. I think they are trying for a fix!
    JuliusBorisovtinkanna