Skip to content

Playing an Halfling priest of Lathander

Hello everyone - I have just started a new game with an Halfling priest of Lathander. Her name is Myrtle Leafshadow.
I love Halflings - and I think that Gorion's ward really could be an Halfling. From the age point of view, it would fit, and I can imagine a young halfling running in the corridors of Candlekeep and annoying the monks and the scholars there.
Why Priest of Lathander ? It seems to me that in the atmosphere of Candlekeep, a young girl with a thirst for knowledge and a developing faith (perhaps due to her "divine blood") could become attracted to the priesthood, and particularly the Lathander priesthood, as a kind of unconscious urge to do good in the world, to repair the wrongs by her deeds. Perhaps she feels that there is something wrong in her, and she wants to fight this bad heritage by becoming a beacon for goodness. So she is NG of course.
Abilities : S 8 C 17 D 19 W 17 I 16 C 15
The strength score is low, but it fits my view of Halfling. It is difficult for me to imagine an Halfling with a greater strength score, because of the weight allowance. Of course it will be a penalty for the equipment. But again, it seems to me more logical that she will not be able to wear full plate and even plate mail.
She started with proficiency in club and slings of course.
The first proficiency she gained at level 4 was War hammer, because after killing Bassilus, she discovered that she could wave his light magic war hammer (min strength 8). To cope with the equipment weight, she bought an expensive Chainmail +1 at the Fedelpost Inn (otherwise it was a bit difficult to have a chainmail + small shield + club + helmet which gives already 50 wight which is her maximum). But of course, she uses generally her sling.

It is fun to play a Priest. Usually, my priest is Branwen, who is a great NPC, but this time, because the priest is my character, I spend more time developing it and learning how to use her spells. They are of course less powerful than the Arcane ones, but there are some nice pearls.

Some rules that I have defined:
- this is a good party and I will stick with some basic principles : no thieving (for example in Beregost, this means no Mace of Disruption nor Wand of Lightning nor Nymph Cloak- I have not yet decided what to do when we arrive in BG, regarding the thieves guild, but I will certainly not steal the telescope for Brevlik), no unnecessary fights (no fights with Sendai, with Kiran's group, with Meilum), spare your opponents when it is possible (Tranzig, Tamoko, Cythandria and Mulahey even if at the end he will betray you).
- Because Myrtle is an Halfling, which means she has a pretty small size, she will not be able to wear armors found during her adventures. She needs to have the armor crafted specifically for her, and as a consequence, her armors will not fit others (with the exception of Halflings or gnomes). This means for example that she cannot wear the Ankheg armor found in Nashkel. But she will be able to have Taerom craft a special Ankheg armor for her). Same thing for the caps of course. I think of letting her wear a cap after having it reduced by a craftsman (and spend some money for it - to give it to a Temple even if the reputation is already 20).
- War hammer : she can wave the Ashineeda but with two hands (it means without shield).

For the moment, she is still in Beregost's area, with Imoen and Neera whom she has just recruited.
sarevok57DanacmSkatanronaldoElysianEchoesBelgarathMTHbutteredsoullost1JuliusBorisovPsicoVic

Comments

• DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    What will be your party ? I like read threads full of roleplaying :)
    Once i played and illegal halfling paladin, but only in bg1 never goes to bg2.
  • RigelRigel Member Posts: 251
    I do not know yet. I need one or two warriors. I think that after chapter 3 she will recruit Kivan and Coran. I plan to recruit Alora when in BG - she will try to convince her to abandon her life of thief and join her.
    I do not like to recruit Kivan before chapter 3 because I had a bad experience one time when meeting Tazok ... at the moment, I hesitate between Khalid-Jaheira and Minsc-Dynaheir...
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    When you have armor crafted specifically for her, will you edit it to be lighter since she is so small and her armor will also be very small?
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Maybe fit well the Yeslick, Kivan, Alora/Imoen, Neera, Rasaad party. Or a Khalid, Jaheira, Kivan, Alora/Imoen, Neera ? All depends on what you wanna do with Imoen. Stay with you or not, dual to mage or not. 2 thieves doesnt neccessary in this game, but helpful if dual Imoen to have a thief until she gains back thieving skills.
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    This sounds so very fun! Maybe if I follow your example, I could actually finish the game. Oh, I do hope you'll share Ms Leafshadow's experiences here with us!
    BelgarathMTH
    @ElysianEchoes I have been out of the game for some months but I am now back. I will try to post the events of Myrtle's playthrough. For the moment, she has just stormed the bandit camp with her party. For the moment, the only survivors are Imoen and Xan. During the raid, Kivan was killed. She has already lost some companions during her adventures, Xzar, Montaron, Rasaad, Minsc, Dynaheir and Neera.
    I will tell all the story but to make it short :
    - Xzar was killed by a wolf after stupidly running at it with his dagger
    - Montaron was killed by an ogrillon south of Beregost
    - Neera was killed by Minsc when he was struck by a Dire Charm spell
    - Dynaheir disappeared and it seems that she was one more time captured by gnolls
    - Rasaad was killed by two lightning strikes in the Sword Coast area, apparently a vengeance of Talos
    - Minsc was grievously wounded in the Firewine Ruins labyrinth and is currently resting at Gullikin village. He plans afterwards to go looking for Dynaheir.

And during the raid on the bandit camp, Kivan was killed by a traitorous bandit archer. Myrtle, Imoen and Xan had to finish alone the raid. More to follow....

GusindaElysianEchoesPsicoVic
    A portrait of Myrtle nq80c3gw2k5m.jpg
    Gusinda
    I found it on Internet. The artist is called Sergey Gurskiy and in my advice he is very talented.
    GusindaAerakar
    @Danacm I think that she will recruit Coran and Faldorn in the Forest, and then Yeslick in the mines. Afterwards, we will see, it will depend upon who will survive.
    I forgot to mention that Ajantis was recruited as well but died in the valley of the Dead, south of Nashkel.
    Danacm
  • butteredsoulbutteredsoul Member Posts: 168
    It's like Myrtle is a child of death, or even murder.
    LoldrupElysianEchoes
    edited July 2019
    It is pretty sad, but this is the life of adventurers ...
    As a matter of fact, I play (try to play) following some rules
    - It is not a no-reload game, but almost (I say it is not, because I plan for example to do the Werewolf island, and in a no-reolad playthough, it may be pretty fearful ... even if last time, I did it without too many problems, I just lost one NPC)
    - NPC deaths : I take into account (more or less) the body weight. If I am far away from a temple and my characters are "weak", they will not be able to bring back the body of a warrior to a Temple. + after two deaths, I consider that the third one is definitive. Kivan was killed in the bandits camp and the last surviving characters were Myrtle (S 8), Imoen (S 9) and Xan (S 13). It would have been difficult to bring back Kivan's body to a Temple...
    @Humanoid_Taifun No I will not edit the weight of the armor (I do not use EEKeeper). I had and Ankheg armor done for her, and it weighs 25 lbs. But this is a good idea, I have to think how to do it.
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    @Rigel ,

Your run sounds like mine. Death everywhere!

I wonder if a halfling cleric can solo serevok
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    @Rigel ,

Your run sounds like mine. Death everywhere!

I wonder if a halfling cleric can solo serevok

Summon to distract follow with dispel magic and maybe Doom...Boots of speed... Wand of heavens...Sanctuary

There are options. Try to save up a mage to make all that easier, Quayle is available late for example. Or one of the evil ones if desperate.
    ElysianEchoes
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    Rigel wrote: »
    A portrait of Myrtle nq80c3gw2k5m.jpg

Pathfinder: kingmaker portraits are superb, yes.

I like the way you rp your character.
    I´ve also made a halfling cleric of lathander in IWD with custom rules. Mine´s also included no boots. A halfling worth his salt walks with his/her hairy feet and nothing else!
    Rigel
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    That is an EXCELLENT picture. I'm getting IWD vibes from it, but with a lot more detail. :D
    Rigel
    edited July 2019
    @psicovic Yes, A Halfling with boots is indeed a strange thing ... from this point of view, Zhurlong strayed away from the tradition ... but good, I gave him back his boots !
    JuliusBorisov
    Myrtle, Imoen and Xan arrived to the Cloakwood. After a fight with Taslois and some spiders, they helped a hunter who was harassed by local extremist druids. Myrtle proposed a peaceful solution to their leader, but he was so furious that they attacked her and her friends immediately. A silence spell and a Horror from Xan helped a lot in the fight. Afterwards, they met with a funny and flamboyant elf named Coran, who proposed them to join him in hunting a wyvern deeper in the wood. Myrtle explained to him what was her mission, and he agreed to join them in return to look for the bandits. He was poorly equipped but seemed to know how to use a bow ...

Usually, before starting the exploration of Cloakwood, I "prepare"equipment for Coran, a good armor, the nice longbow that one gets in the bandit camps, a lot of arrows. This time, I tried to be more realistic. Myrtle and her friends would not have thought of carrying all this equipment with them "just in case"they would meet a very good bowman in the forest... So Coran will have to manage with arrows that Imoen will give to him and what he will find on his way... same thing for Faldorn and eventually Yeslick that I intend to take in the team.
    JuliusBorisov
    @ElysianEchoes I do not think that she will fight Sarevok on her own - but with the rate of death of her companions, one never knows ...
    edited December 2019
    The fight was tough but at the end, Myrtle's party managed to cripple definitively the Iron Throne's operations in Cloakwood. With the help of an old and friendly dwarf who was imprisoned in his own mine, they succeeded to defeat the villain mage who was conducting the Iron Throne's operations. First they met a group of mercenaries who was relatively easily defeated thanks to good spells from Xan (Dire Charm, Hold Person, Horror) and from Myrtle (Chant, Silence, Holy Smite). Coran was deadly with his bow. Afterwards they had to fight all their way down to the mage's lair. Two Ghasts were quickly defeated thanks to Myrtle's special ability to hold Undeads. Sleep and Silence helped in defeating a group of guards and a woman mage. An Ogre Mage was swiftly killed by Coran. During all those fights, Myrtle's Chant seems to have helped a lot. Then they arrived at the final level, and they confronted Davaeorn, the evil mage in charge of the mine. Coran drank a potion of Magic Protection and began to pelt arrows on Davaeorn who casted a lot of spells towards him, but in vain. But Coran forgot that his potion had a short duration, and Davaeorn finally succeeded to paralyze him and in the same time invoked an Ogre Berserker who started to bash the poor elf. All the party came to the rescue and Imoen killed the Ogre whilst Myrtle thanks to Holy Smite, managed to finally kill Davaeorn.

More to follow ...
    Post edited by Rigel on
    ElysianEchoesJuliusBorisovAerakar
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    A cleric buffed up hits awfully hard with slings actually, and boosted speed might let you kite even. I know I've done it before, and eventually dropped him.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    edited July 2019
    I love the thread title "Playing 'an' Halfling priest of Lathander". Now every time I think of the word halfling, I pronounce it 'afling in my mind!
    Rigel
    :)
    I made a pause with Myrtle and in the meantime started a new playthrough with a Halfling swashbuckler - Archibald Applepie NG and for the moment I am in Suldanesselar about to fight Nizidramanii'yt. Archibald is already level 25 - in his team there are Aerie (he is romancing her), Imoen, Mazzy, Minsc and Keldorn.
    But I want to go back to Myrtle who at the moment is in Shandalar's Island with her team (Yeslick, Imoen, Xan, Alora and Coran). SO I hope to post back news of her very soon (after the island I plan to do Balduran Island and Durlag's tower).