Skip to content

Old BG Ironworks Forum - any of you remember?

SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
Back when the games came out, we had a very lively and thriving community at the subject website.
Some of the new folk may find it interesting to know that in fact, two mini-bosses in the game were named after some very prolific (and anti-bug helpful) posters to that site while these games were in their growing pains.

One; is Mencar Pebblecrusher, whom you run into in the Den of 7 Veils in SoA - Waukeens Promenade.

The other; is Gromnir, whom you of course meet in ToB - Gromnir's Tower, in Saradush.

Just a bit of trivia to show just how much Bioware cared about their fans.

If you folk are still around, a long due salute to you both!

Comments

• ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I was never a part of it, as the games came out before I was old enough to even know about them, but occasionally while searching for information I'll find a link to the old forums. It's interesting for sure.
  • reap_iireap_ii Member Posts: 43
    I remember
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited March 2015
    I still visit there frequently. Lots of useful info on there.
    Post edited by jackjack on
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    I remember being there : )
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    http://www.ironworksforum.com/ is not working now.

Let's hope it's not permanent. I've been visiting it from time to time and don't want to lose a place that reminds about 2000-2002 years:)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited July 2019
    Castes resurrection on this thread: I was a reg there! About '00 - '02-ish
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    edited July 2019
    Never visited IW forum (at that time), but i do remember the guys you mentioned from the Interplay and Bioware forum. If i remember correctly Gromnir was actually a lawyer IRL who ,when posting, roleplayed a less than average intelligent orc.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited July 2019
    I spent a lot of time on there - ha, good fun ?

I think Draconis also posted on there and another (hard) mini boss was named after him
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    edited July 2019
    http://www.ironworksforum.com/ is not working now.

Let's hope it's not permanent. I've been visiting it from time to time and don't want to lose a place that reminds about 2000-2002 years:)

The web site is available (again?). Quite ancient. The latest new member was added 2007. The last site update was 2015.

There is a BG2 forum archive. It contains ~100K posts from november 1998 to november 2001.
    Never visited IW forum (at that time), but i do remember the guys you mentioned from the Interplay and Bioware forum. If i remember correctly Gromnir was actually a lawyer IRL who ,when posting, roleplayed a less than average intelligent orc.

I loved Gromnir's sig: "Hah! Good fun!" His posts were great. He typically made trenchant observations about the game in the voice of Gromnir, lol.
    edited July 2019
    During the time at Ironworks I remember well Six of Spades (he wrote a really good BG1 walkthrough/game guide), Midget Gems (always played custom parties of halflings, dwarves, and gnomes in MP mode) and Kat. And Cloudbringer aka "Cloudy."

Kat and I played a fair bit of BG multiplayer together. We went on to become admins (in her case) and HDMs (me, the Baldur's Gate region from BG1 and the Moonshaes, also admin for developing a trade system that never got off the ground)) at A Land Far Away persistent world for NWN. The forum for ALFA during the planning stage of the project (before the game was released) was for many of us actually more fun than playing the game, lol. Mandos, Albereth, Kat, Kalbar, Pelham, White Warlock, Tridisus, Indio, Evro, Fionn, Wynna, Lafter, Burt, Bane/Mother... the infamous Karen...
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    Fond memories of that place- I have no idea what email or username I registered there with, though.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited July 2019
    even if i did play bg2 at the time those forums was active i did not had an internet connection, i discovered them only about a year before joining this forum, so probably in 2014, but i have spent countless hours reading the very interesting threads.

my old school approach to the game, i still use tactics mod and other mods that at the time was the standard difficulty mods setting and i use for some play troughts the original game that does not close exploits that in EE are now closed, is surley deeply influenced by my reading those old forums.

sometimes i feel like a man of 20 years ago that has been teleported in the present time, loosing the possibility to communicate with other men of his age and unable to properly communicate with the people of the time i am forced to live in :)

ironworks forum has a very special place in my heart, even if i never had the chance to be a member of it.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I suspect I used to post their a bit, but not terribly much, or very well I'd wager, being in highschool and all. I certainly learned more about the game on their, though less than on here.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.