Skip to content

Does the xp table of druid from 14 to 15 make any sense?

I read that the huge amount of xp you're required is due to the fact that you are supposed to be the only archdruid in the whole earth. So I was wondering, should I install mods that rework the xp table?

I also read that after you level up, you get from 28 to 42 spells. So... any suggestion is welcome.

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    I used a mod component that makes the spell tables more close to the pnp ones.
    It made my bards able to cast lev 7 spells and my mages have more spells. But my druids after having to wait a lot to get level 15 from it they gained the spells slowly, without that big step from 1 to all the lev 7 at once.
    At the beginning was a little annoying, more with dual like Jaheira, but it was fun.
    A druid is anyway not the most powerful class, but is fun to play it and has his own role, whatever choice, from having him get the spells earlier togetting them later the vanilla is fine, if it suit your style.
    If not soloing the game will not become broken and too easy or incredibly hard only for that.
    RAM021
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'm accustomed to the level 14/15 gap, but from a gameplay perspective, it's very silly and unbalanced. I believe CDTweaks has a component that makes druids gain spells and gain levels at the same rate as clerics, which is probably more balanced, more user-friendly, and more fun for most players.

The origin of the gap was that, in PnP, druids weren't supposed to be able to reach level 15 as adventurers; they'd have to become the leader of a druid grove in order to progress any further. Still seems silly, but the choice wasn't completely arbitrary.
    JuliusBorisov
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    I used a mod component that makes the spell tables more close to the pnp ones. It made my bards able to cast lev 7 spells

Bards are suppose to get 7th power spells at level 21 and 8th power at 29.
    JuliusBorisovgorgonzola
    CamDawg wrote: »
    RAM021 wrote: »
    I used a mod component that makes the spell tables more close to the pnp ones. It made my bards able to cast lev 7 spells

Say hello to the unnerfed bard spell tables from Tweaks.

https://gibberlings3.github.io/Documentation/readmes/readme-cdtweaks_tables.html#bard

We are aware of it; if only it were correct :(
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    what do you mean?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    StummvonBordwehrRAM021

Well the game only goes to level 20,
    DMG (1989) "There is no upper limit to character class levels." ('Above 20th Level,' pg31)

PHB (1989) "Rising through the accumulation of experience points to the 20th level or higher." ('Level,' pg14)
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    @RAM021 ,

That's only for humans, right? Don't demiraces have level caps in 2e, aside from half elf bards?
    RAM021
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2019
    Anyways, to answer OP's question I'd say feel free to mod away. The intention with the gap in PnP was that you would go through these steps to become a grand druid. However, in a game where you could have three different druids in your party it's not a leveling system that makes a whole lot of sense. It's something that really works more at a table where the DM can incorporate it into the development of a druid character.

So mod away if you'd like.
    ArthasRAM021
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    People often use the cleric XP table for druids; I believe that's a component of the Tweaks mod.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    CamDawg wrote: »

Say hello to the unnerfed bard spell tables from Tweaks.

https://gibberlings3.github.io/Documentation/readmes/readme-cdtweaks_tables.html#bard

The tables i was using was probably the same if the linked ones, even if my mod probably was ease of use and not tweak antology
    @RAM021 ,

That's only for humans, right? Don't demiraces have level caps in 2e, aside from half elf bards?

Correct, although exceptional ability scores permitted exceeding the cap followed by optional rules for further slow advancement (double, triple, quadruple, etc required XP).
    ElysianEchoeselminster
  • DrCoffinNailsDrCoffinNails Member Posts: 1
    edited February 4
    See the article in Dragon magazine #69 (Charting the Classes by Roger E. Moore). On the second page of that article, a revised Experience Point table for druids is suggested. 14th level starts at 2,000,001 points. If this table was used with levels 15-23, it is a smoother transition (only 1,000,000 points to go from 14th to 15th level). It's not too much of a stretch to think that Gygax had this in mind when he created that 1,500,000 point gap. In other words, the new levels could accommodate either the old table from the Players Handbook or the revised table from Dragon magazine #69.
    Post edited by DrCoffinNails on
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    Dragon Magazine #69 would be for a 1E Druid. Of course the same reasoning applies to why the table gets so tough (a limited number of high level Druids). But as Druid is essentially a sort of specialty Priest in 2E, it might be more fitting to just put them on the 2E cleric table... assuming we're dumping the Lore reasons for the upper levels.