Skip to content

[Kickstarter] Monster Crown - old school monster taming game [Funded]

KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
edited May 2018 in Off-Topic

There's currently an monster taming slash crossbreeding game over at kickstarter called Monster Crown. For those who enjoyed the ol' handheld console games like Dragon Warrior Monsters, Monster Rancher, or Pokemon Gold/Silver, this should be rather interesting news.

It's already waaay past its funding goal of $5.000. Took only like two days. And even smashed dozen of stretch goals:

The game will be released around Februrary 2019 on Windows, Linux, Android, Nintendo Switch and PS Vita. And backers can get a copy of their choice for $10 during the campaign. Not to mention that all backers receive a link to a fully playable demo of the game (which has even be updated around three times already to eradicate any and all game bugs).

Currently there are over 200+ tameable monsters and each will be fuseable/crossable to create new monster species. Nothing like Pokemon where there are only additional attacks in for the Day Care eggs.

Furthermore, the game allows for online battles. But best of all: there will be no microtransactions! This bit of information was especially important for myself because I hate having micropayments in my games.
All in all it's a nice little something, which I took a liking to. :)
Post edited by Kamigoroshi on
ThacoBellNimran

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Sir, you have piqued my interest.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Looks tasty! And it’s for the Switch!
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited April 2018

Another stretch goal reached and two new ones were revealed. Also, the backer demo finally received both a Linux and a Mac version. Previously it was only for Windows.
    ThacoBell
    I wish these projects (all games in general really) would release a demo to the general public. I'm not keen on spending money blind to find out if a game has any potential.
    edited April 2018
    One of the very first backers also asked about a public beta, as that would make people more confidend in the game. This is what the lead dev said about it:

That being said, non-backers can still watch Let's Play's on youtube of the demo. The creators gave their blessings about that too. Here's one that I found:

ThacoBell[Deleted User]

The campaign is currently a bit over $27.100, which means that the Artbook/Player's Guide, Gene Lab, and Monster Costumes stretch goals were all reached. Plus when Monster Crown receives another $800 the game even gets translated into Spanish to boot. Nice going given that the kickstarter has whopping 16 days left! :D

Also, here's the last part of the demo's Let's Play from above.
    ThacoBell
    edited May 2018
    That's it, folks! Monster Crown's campaign has ended with flying colors!
    This kickstarter got $45.415 together, meaning a whopping 908% of the initial $5.000 funding goal! :D

Its backers smashed up 13 stretch goals one after another. Although it's kind of a bummer that the very last one wasn't reached in time... but other than this it couldn't have gone any better!

Edit:
    Turns out the devs are actually doing even the not reached stretch goal as a little thanks to their backers! O.o

Customizable battle tamer sprites are on the house~!
    ThacoBell
    The dev posted a rather lengthy update prior this month.
    Highlights in a nutshell:
    6e3924af9a031037dc17128aa41f2cd2_original.gif?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&w=639&fit=max&v=1551399318&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=b37c707c70d3f731b433af3614e3f208
    - Overworld exploration is going to be an extended feature. You may stumble on a monster nest with hatchable eggs or collected treasures in them, find other tamer's bags (perhaps even a tamer corpse nearby) or something else interesting while walking down in the wilderness.

- Various toggable game settings: Limited Save Points, Perma Death, and Disabled Breeding/Fusing is going in.

- Also a previous update revealed that we also get a Retro Mode for some extra nostalgia: 2623a421c1a76982795217cad2d549de_original.png?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&w=639&fit=max&v=1548798541&auto=format&gif-q=50&lossless=true&s=32e081dd213c0c0cd31d9cb8c27c31fb

No concrete release date as of yet. But it shouldn't be that far off. :)
    ThacoBell

Private Beta Signups have now started: best part?
    Seems that you don't need to have backed the kickstarter campaign for getting a shot at this. :)
    ThacoBell
    Been a while since I dusted off this thread.

Monster Crown starts its Early Access phase in less than three hours. Currently there are 200 "base" monsters. But breeding them together to create new species is also a thing. So all in all you can end up with over 1000 different creatures.

Also interesting to know:
    Hi there! Yes, the game will be priced at €/$14.99 at the start of Early Access. The pricing will be increased whenever we feel enough content/features have been added to justify that. The pricing is also lowered at the start of Early Access as a thank you to the people helping us out to test the game this early on! It'll be 28,99 Real, and there's also a 10% launch discount :)
    ThacoBell
    Wonder how many spider and or snake abominations I can make.
    Kamigoroshi
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited July 2020
    Sounds interesting! Dragon Warrior Monsters is my go-to monster taming series but I will check it out.

Creating new monsters by combining old ones gives me strong Jade Cocoon vibes, which is a good thing. I made some real Eldritch abominations in that.
    KamigoroshiThacoBell
    Jade Cocoon is not talked about enough.
    WarChiefZeke
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Its really not! I don't think any other game let you create entirely unique 3-D monsters the way the original Jade Cocoon did. Every merging changed the monster in some way, and repeated merges would make something entirely unique. A more sophisticated version of that system could easily be made and it's a shame it has never happened.
    KamigoroshiThacoBell