Skip to content

Minor issues

AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
I've found some minor issues in BG2:
  1. Silenced bards can still sing their songs.
  2. Shortbow of Gesen: When an arrow is equipped, it still deals electric damage.
  3. Maze: There is a very long delay since the spell is cast until its effect takes place, the description says nothing about that.
  4. Watcher’s keep > Level 3 > Room with five glabrezu (AR3010): During the whole fight there is a smoke effect that covers the whole room but doesn’t seem to actually do anything at all.
  5. Mazzy’s Strength: It improves THAC0 even with ranged weapons. Is this intended?
  6. Sometimes the combat log shows the message “You cannot cast multiple instances of the same contingency spell on yourself” at times when it doesn’t make sense. For instance, it shows it for an efreeti, who don’t even have contingency spells.
  7. Sometimes the combat log shows the message “One of the spells has failed” when the character is not casting any spell.
  8. When a bard is singing and you click any of the buttons in his quick buttons bar he stops singing immediately. Many times you want to use this buttons just to check what spells or abilities he has available, not to perform any action. Therefore, just clicking the button shouldn’t stop the song, it should only be stopped when the bard actually performs the action, like, for instance, when he actually starts to cast a spell.
  9. My wizard has Energy Blades, which is a Quest spell.

Are these intended? If not, are there fixes for any of them?
Post edited by Alonso on
[Deleted User]gorgonzolaAndreaColomboJuliusBorisov

Comments

• AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    Bumping this thread with two new minor issues:
    • Dispel Magic and Remove Magic display the message "Dispel Effects" in the combat log and a visual effect even if nothing gets dispelled.
    • Tracking (ranger HLA) can be used an unlimited amount of times.
    kjeron wrote: »
    5) The description is rather clear about this:
    "When necessary, Mazzy can draw upon a great well of strength for brief periods of time. Using this ability sets her Strength to 18/75. Upon reaching level 13, the Strength increase is to 18/00, and she receives an additional +4 THAC0 bonus to all attacks."
    It certainly is, and that's what puzzles me. Why would a strength spell increase your THAC0 when using a crossbow? That's inconsistent with the rest of the combat system.
    8) This is no different from any other modal ability - clicking any other actionbar button ends them.
    I know, I just used bard songs as an example. It is equally inconvenient with all other modal abilities.
    9) Separate version of Energy Blades are available to both Arcane and Divine casters.
    Turns out this was a bug in my spells description mod. Locally fixed now.

I understand you're confirming that the others (2, 4, 6, 7 and 10) are bugs, right?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited July 2019
    You could reword Mazzy's ability. It's clear that there is something beyond an increase in strength (the +4 is in addition to strength adjustments) and this is intended behavior, so perhaps call the ability "heroism" or something like that.

It's always been possible to add projectiles onto a launcher that can operate without them - I don't see that as a bug.

The maze animation does take a long time, but I think that is intended behavior. Changing it would change the existing game play (for instance it would no longer be possible to dispel the maze effect before a mazed character disappeared).
    gorgonzolaStummvonBordwehr
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Alonso wrote: »
    I understand you're confirming that the others (2, 4, 6, 7 and 10) are bugs, right?
    I didn't say any of those were bugs.
    #2 has been reported before and returned "Working as intended". (I didn't agree, so made mod to implement otherwise)
    #4 all summoning spells play animations. I doubt it's a bug considering someone had to go out of there way to use an AoE projectile to generate those animation instead of just using the default animation mechanism tied to the summoning effect, especially since one of those projectile is otherwise unused in the game.
    #6/7 are working as intended, it's just no longer necessary for those spells to work that way. (#6 is easy to change, #7 less so)
    #10 is also working as intended - the feedback informs you of which creatures were in the area of effect, not which had effects dispelled.
    gorgonzolaStummvonBordwehr
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    5) The description is rather clear about this:
    "When necessary, Mazzy can draw upon a great well of strength for brief periods of time. Using this ability sets her Strength to 18/75. Upon reaching level 13, the Strength increase is to 18/00, and she receives an additional +4 THAC0 bonus to all attacks."
    It certainly is, and that's what puzzles me. Why would a strength spell increase your THAC0 when using a crossbow? That's inconsistent with the rest of the combat system.
    STR increases mlee thac0 only, but the 18.00 STR gives a thac0 bonus of 3, not 4.

Grond0 wrote: »
    You could reword Mazzy's ability. It's clear that there is something beyond an increase in strength (the +4 is in addition to strength adjustments) and this is intended behavior, so perhaps call the ability "heroism" or something like that.

mazzy's ability give her 18.00 STR (-3 thac0 mlee and + 6 dmg if the latter is used for the wepon equipped, so mlee and some ranged weapons)
    AND
    -4 thac0 for all weapons.

she gets -7 thac0 +6dmg with a sword, -4 thac0 +6dmg with a sling and -4thac0 and no dmg bonus with a bow.

the name of the ability is misleading, but the description is clear and correct, and there is no inconsistency with the combat system as the STR related thac0 bonus is working as intended and the other bonus is not str related so works with any weapon.

AndreaColomboStummvonBordwehr
    I didn't say any of those were bugs.
    #2 has been reported before and returned "Working as intended". (I didn't agree, so made mod to implement otherwise)
    #4 all summoning spells play animations. I doubt it's a bug considering someone had to go out of there way to use an AoE projectile to generate those animation instead of just using the default animation mechanism tied to the summoning effect, especially since one of those projectile is otherwise unused in the game.
    #6/7 are working as intended, it's just no longer necessary for those spells to work that way. (#6 is easy to change, #7 less so)
    #10 is also working as intended - the feedback informs you of which creatures were in the area of effect, not which had effects dispelled.
    I still see all of these as bugs, but I guess that in the end that's a semantic matter beyond the scope of this thread.
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    the name of the ability is misleading, but the description is clear and correct, and there is no inconsistency with the combat system as the STR related thac0 bonus is working as intended and the other bonus is not str related so works with any weapon.
    It's just the name of the ability that I find inconsistent, so I think we're on the same page. I think I'll rename as @Grond0 suggested in my improved descriptions mod.
    Grond0gorgonzola
    Another one:
    I'm in a romance with Aerie. After defeating Yaga-Shura and talking to Melissan, Aerie says:
    I can't sleep. Every time I close my eyes, I see the burning buildings of Saradush and the smoking bodies of all those Bhaalspawn lying in the streets! Ugh! It's horrible!
    That doesn't make sense at that point. We haven't been to Saradush since Yaga-Shura entered the town, so we cannot possibly have seen any of that.
    gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    True, even if she does not tell that she has actually seen that destruction, and at that point she is an experieced enough adventurer to figure out what had happened there.
    13. The effects of Blur are reflected as an ability bonus in the inventory screen.
    edited July 2019
    13. The effects of Blur are reflected as an ability bonus in the inventory screen.
    All generic THAC0, damage, and AC effects originating from an item or spell "Ability" are listed together as a single "Ability Bonus" or "Bonus" (which string depends on game) in the inventory screen.

The few that are listed separately have dedicated opcodes to generate their effect (such as Bless).
    All generic THAC0, damage, and AC effects originating from an item or spell "Ability" are listed together as a single "Ability Bonus" or "Bonus" (which string depends on game) in the inventory screen.
    What is a spell ability?
    Every spell is an ability, the distinction was more for items - their abilities display similarly, as opposed to their equipped effects.
    I guess internally spells might be treated as abilities in some sense, but from the point of view of the player they are separate concepts. An ability is something like detecting traps, a spell is something like Blur. Regardless of how the internals work, it doesn't seem correct to say in a stat intended for the player that a spell and an ability are the same.