Skip to content

Zaram Maldovar's Poorly Played No-Reload Cemetery (Attempts #1-42)

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Attempt #7: Kala the Inquistor
    0eyihbjkxnnv.png

I have a good feeling about this one....a LAWFUL good feeling. This will be my first time seriously playing a Paladin so wish me luck.

kdbf2r2ew4h5.png

I don't need a battle tutorial, Gatewarden (runs faster)

694kghokknih.png

So Kala decided to leave Imoen behind after having to ressurect her following the fight with Tarnesh. Can't have a dead sister on your conscience.

ho2r0or5jre6.png

A very amusing bug let me recruit Neera in the middle of this fight despite the fact that my entire party was asleep. We lost Neera and Khalid in the ensuing chaos but that's what ressurection is for. Right?

Why do my runs always start badly?
    BelgarathMTHArvia
    edited July 2019
    wrg1n6yahi9u.png

Level 4?! I should've recruited Alora in an earlier run. That's a great place to start

m41agbir2dn5.png

And this seemed like a pretty good party to start off with

4oxrx7ztrty0.png

Die, drow!

tc6y3gwvsjbx.png

Perhaps the gods punished me for killing Viconia because not half an hour later I accidentally stumbled across Zargal and he proved that he is instead strongest there is.
    JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHArvia
    edited July 2019
    ybbpyhgpuqwh.png

Perhaps this 91 that was generated as the 1st roll during character creation is a good sign that my new character might fare better than his previous incarnations.

Attempt #8: Bumbleblade the Cavalier

ekyhsm0avnfz.png

6jz3ao7tf33o.png

And right off the bat his shield is bigger than he is! I can tell playing a halfling paladin is going to be great!
    AerakarJuliusBorisovArvia
    5288gg1x766q.png

And....he's gone. Although I have to admit this screenshot is rather hilarious.

Please stand by while my friends help me make Attempt #9.

I still believe I can do this!
    Attempt #9: Raguk the Kensai
    s5yw2pb2uiqz.png
    Arvia
    t6wqqk6bxvly.png

It seems I accidentally took Hull's antidote with me. Poor Nessa.

6w0icnzn5lc7.png

Isn't backstabbing fun?

sxxm9au0eqha.png

And I was asking myself why Khalid was so vulnerable, lol

1iodb4t01jd4.png

Stuck between a rock and an annoying place

hbtfbejcr6hd.png

30 Damage? I don't even think this guy has 30 hit points.

viccyekdu9vw.png

A critical hit and a critical miss at the same time? I guess opposites really do attract

ni65sxlpq6uj.png

Honestly that Con mod probably saved the party right here. This is a brutal fight when you're level 1

d9eomxhyobsz.png

Turns out even early game Kensais can be night invulnerable with Potions of Defense.

28ezvvzc7u1q.png

I guess those Gnolls really wanted Dynaheir dead

x71mvcbj44xc.png

I had hope having the canon party would be a good omen for me, apparently I was wrong :(

zlbzn3y3pxya.png

Kensais can wear girdles? Good to know.

3ktkrj5cvqt8.png

Alas another failure! Still I'm holding to that hope that one day I will find the one and hopefully it will be...
    Attempt #10: Grax'lor the Priest of Lathander
    238brkxqc7je.png

czrfzgzkbnm5.png

I'm hoping that 97 stat total will get me far!
    AerakarJuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHArvia
    565fxbzsqw6l.png

The major consequence of having Eldoth in the party (if using the BG1 NPC mod) is not being able to use the Friendly Arm Inn as a shop. Kinda outweighs most of the good if you ask me

obwmit6wzkhs.png

An odd choice of early game party to say the least, but strangely effective nonetheless

3jrjhlnrtekl.png

I kept Eldoth around a lot longer than I thought I was going to. He was very useful while the party was level grinding their way through Chapter 2

zeawgookwj8b.png

Nimbul might not be the most threatening of BG assassins, but he certainly has the coolest opening line

u6fss1rtt447.png

Chunked by two crits at the same time! What a way to go! Khalid and Ajantis make a great tag team.

46s9iak1s1z6.png

And with that last good deed, Eldoth Kron takes a bow. I actually quite enjoyed having him in my party.

fjes4xanf1mr.png

Have I mentioned before how much I love Xan's moonblade?
    AerakarJuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHArvia
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    "The major consequence of having Eldoth in the party (if using the BG1 NPC mod) is not being able to use the Friendly Arm Inn as a shop."
    Leave him standing on the first floor and then talk to Bentley ;)

"Have I mentioned before how much I love Xan's moonblade?"
    Get him a bunch of throwing daggers or a sling. Xan can't melee. Don't ever equip the Moonblade unless he is stuck in melee range, or you are working some kind of fire resistance strategy. Otherwise you will be spending a lot of gold on resurrection.
    ZaramMaldovarAerakarJuliusBorisov
    edited July 2019
    @Very_BigSword

"Have I mentioned before how much I love Xan's moonblade?"
    Get him a bunch of throwing daggers or a sling. Xan can't melee. Don't ever equip the Moonblade unless he is stuck in melee range, or you are working some kind of fire resistance strategy. Otherwise you will be spending a lot of gold on resurrection.

I never said I actually USE the moonblade. I just think it looks cool.

I've been playing Baldur's Gate for many years now, one of the first lessons I learned as a child was never to put my mage on the front lines. Just admiring the Moonblade in all it's majesty. Also the on screen animation is really cool.
    Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on
    Arvia
    edited July 2019
    @Very_BigSword

I never said I actually USE the moonblade. I just think it looks cool.

I've been playing Baldur's Gate for many years now, one of the first lessons I learned as a child was never to put my mage on the front lines. Just admiring the Moonblade in all it's majesty. Also the on screen animation is really cool.

Fair enough. I did not mean to come across as patronising. I've just seen a lot of complaints from people over the years complaining about Xan because they don't know how to use him, and they just *have* to use the moonblade because it looked so cool.

By the way, why does your Montaron only have 7 HP? Fighter/thief Lvl 1 should have (10+6)/2 = 8 + con bonus. In my games he correctly has max HP at level 1 which is 9.
    @Very_BigSword
    I can't remember whether it was the BG1 NPC Project or the Tweaks Anthology Mod but one of those mods had a component to turn Montaron into an Assassin instead, hence the lower amount of HP because he's a pure class now rather than multi-class.

And now for a giant dump of screenshots because I haven't been posting lately.

t0d0et22r4py.png
    tonl1ru9bxeb.png

Everyone Hates Bassilus- Vol. 2

yin2ub7sjo4u.png

One of the most depressing things for me about a no reload run is not being able to reload if Melicamp doesn't make it :(

4pkrjotiuibz.png]

These damned Flinds keep finding me!

5d1wx22ilhtz.png

This perfectly timed screenshot of a bandit getting chunked at the same time as he was put to sleep makes it look like he dissolved into dust rather than chunks. Random Bandit #63 is a Bhaalspawn confirmed?

badl4y184yc9.png
    zo9j693j7pc1.png

I'm not much of a Dart user but the item descriptions on these darts in particular is pretty epic!

monnmyhrofss.png

That is some troublesome placement (cracks knuckles) good thing it's just Hobgoblins

glni33t8odd8.png

Waiting to fight Greywolf until my party was Level 3/4 was great because now I get to curbstomp him! After all the deaths he handed to me as a kid that felt pretty damn good.

tdksnh6e5owa.png

Nice job, Xan. The Flinds must be purged!

pz2hdn916eag.png

Wild Dogs don't deserve an entrance that well worded.

78ulow2cp7an.png

Graxlor doesn't have enough intelligence points to come even reasonably close to pronouncing that name

4b6qasa9c3mj.png

Ok so it turns out Glyph of Warding is a pretty nasty spell

ztfzomef9gsk.png

Umm...I'm a little busy, sir. Could you give me a minute?

21xllxbcltm9.png

(Screams in Triggered)

xqh4uzdykrn5.png
    glqtaznljv75.png

It was the point that I realized...I screwed up royally

3q28nyf7wvnw.png

In the immortal words of Aoln "Killed the Ogre, lost the party. Not really worth the trade if you ask me"

jwc1whjb2lra.png

And the journey begins! Fingers crossed that the stuff is there when I get back

sdrs98dag6wb.png

One party member up, four to go! Good thing Gibberlings are so easy to run from!

3iae1cfenvl1.png

Honestly having to take down Skeletons seems a lot more epic when there's only 2 of you. I'm glad everyone's loot was still there though, Grax'lor only had so much inventory space but with Ajantis tagging along we were able to get all of it.

u4spmanlbqqf.png
    a3nb3cdwg6ts.png

Ok THAT just isn't fair. You have no idea how terrifying it is to run into a surprise Basilisk in a no reload run. It's a really good thing that I have potions

4fdfmt3ko7cp.png

The road to Nashkel is fraught with peril!

pq0mn28il31s.png

Return of the party!

cyaot7nhpn3n.png

And in typical fashion, Xan is the first to bite it after the party recovers! At least he didn't get chunked this time (see Attempt #4: Sovrek the Beastmaster on Page 1)

ccfi720v0ojr.png

Ran into Mal-Kalen in Ulcaster and needless to say I GTFO'd as soon as possible. That guy is scary and I wasn't expecting his Skeleton Warrior friend on top of it all. I was so angry when it didn't grant any experience points.

pn1bi6pmsg1k.png

Well that's an interesting combination and potentially deadly if I wasn't so high level at this point

ndecedn75k3g.png

Xan wasn't so lucky this time...and after we killed Droth he wasn't even ressurected :( Had to do it the long way. In any case, I've had a lot of fun and cleared out a couple more maps after this. I should after a few more screenshots later hopefully as I level grind myself into the pavement in preparation for Cloakwood.
    BelgarathMTHArvia
    lsxq3vxa2nzq.png

11 years and I'm still finding new places

vmgq2vjqipmu.png
    b8lvp5gg3jlw.png
    7t7ad7e8p9uz.png
    rr52vtwiac0l.png

So I completly forgot about Xan's Sidequest and frankly these guys annihilated me.

INTERMISSION!

Time for the Redemption Run

BelgarathMTHAerakarArvia
    edited July 2019
    Here's our lineup folks!

jscxb7tyiu7q.png

Our most successful character so far, Sovrek the Beastmaster returns as our main character! Will he save the Sword Coast? Only time will tell

is1drhf1wq7m.png

Our 2nd character to be pulled from the ether is Ezra the Blade. Her stats have been changed slightly. She is now an Elf with 15 Strength and 19 Dex rather than a Half-Elf with 16 Strength and 18 Dex. It is my hope that our Wall of Swords in the making shall be of great use to the party!

cvq26cz1jg5q.png

Next is the wisecracking Constantine the Necromancer. His run ended brutally quickly but perhaps he will have better success as part of a full ensemble than by himself.

ncdrv6zdwwdl.png

Then we have our original attempt. A shadowdancer cut down in her prime by a surprise black bear attack. Her party so far has been the only one to complete annihilate the Bandit Camp. Will see see Chapter 4 this time? We shall see.

xocw8mwmbu4n.png

Then we have Raguk, another character whose run was ended tragically short. Her alignment has been shifted to LG to fit better with this party. Let us hope she can redeem herself by aiding our newest group.

j4q8el6tu189.png

And finally our latest hero the mighty Grax'lor whose campaign was cut short by the enemies of Xan.

Will our heroes redeem themselves, or will they be cast back into the void never to return?

It is time to find out!

AVENGERS.....Assemble!
    AerakarBelgarathMTH
    I've decided to take a break from no reload run attempting for my own mental health. I might keep it back up in a few days but I'm going to play some BG2 without so much stress.

Rest assured the party still stands and my character for Attempt #11 has already been pregenerated.
    Very_BigSwordAerakarBelgarathMTH
    I have returned!
    However my Redemption Run will be eventually moved to another thread because I am eager to start my Attempt #11.

Yes it shall be glorious.

Attempt #11: Khira the Wizard Slayer
    r92bp0bjbh20.png
    AerakarBelgarathMTH
    edited July 2019
    cd7b9n3eo7w7.png

I have moved my game to EE Trilogy, unfortunately my Wizard Slayer Rebalancing and the part of my Tweaks Anthology Mod that removes Class Restrictions both don't appear to be working.

Nevertheless I am committed to this character so we shall see how far she gets.

Edit: It turns out that my Wizard Slayer Mod actually is working (see Shatter Magic Ability below) but for some reason the class description still displays the original description. I have also restored my erasure of class restrictions. I am now free to play a Gnomish Barbarian/Thief if I so wish.

sj2yfktf0a21.png

Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on
    zdaqdhv8ege4.png

I didn't know Gibberlings could hit that hard without critting. Perhaps he's one of the Gibberlings 3?

dagc9ehuqzty.png

The downside to Montaron as an Assassin is that he makes him quite squishy in early levels

651guhkpq9i3.png

And that's Strike 3 Montaron, the next time you die I'm not resurrecting you.

6v6c6ejdzjqt.png

An amusing reaction to Montaron's death from Xzar

3vjpofnciseb.png

Khalid and Minsc have an interesting conversation.

vamikulk44fm.png

I'm not sure which mod this is from, but I love it! I can literally sling fireballs at my enemies.
    BelgarathMTHAerakar
    edited July 2019
    I understand that the Xzar dialogue arises from keeping Montaron in the party while dead for a period of time. "Carrying the corpse" as such. NPC project is the only thing that keeps me re-playing BG1, so entertaining.

Looks like assassin version of Monty should be kept off the front line. Without a helmet he is very vulnerable to any crits or one shots by a wolf or gibberling lucky damage roll. Of course, if you are deliberately putting him in front as a meat shield, it is inevitable. Lvl 1, leather armor, no helmet, no missile weapon - ugh. RIP.
    ZaramMaldovar
    @Very_BigSword
    Montaron has always been a meat shield to me. A surprisingly resilient meat shield, but a meat shield nonetheless. If I were playing an Evil run I might keep Monty off the front lines, but since I'm not I'm going to keep Imoen.

Also since it's EE Trilogy I'll be able to keep Imoen at higher thief levels rather than having only 7. I think Thief 11/Mage works much better.

@Very_BigSword
    Also since it's EE Trilogy I'll be able to keep Imoen at higher thief levels rather than having only 7. I think Thief 11/Mage works much better.
    Interesting. Dealing with traps and locks only is fine but there are plenty more thievery tools available. Are you looking at stealth/backstabs with the extra points, traps/detect illusion, or other?
    @Very_BigSword
    Not sure. Backstabbing is great but I've ever never really used detect Illusion. Does it have any use? I've always used True Sight instead.
    @Very_BigSword
    Not sure. Backstabbing is great but I've ever never really used detect Illusion. Does it have any use? I've always used True Sight instead.

It is useful to the extent of freeing up a lvl 6 spell slot I suppose. But it takes a while to kick in, like the trap detection check. Also it gets around spell immunity:divination so SCS players love it. You can fit in attacks/actions around it between ticks but that is micro intensive. At least with true sight it ticks passively every round after casting.

I would account for my playstyle and intended party composition before committing to it. If you plan to take Keldorn you can probably forget about it.
    Aerakar
    @Very_BigSword
    I don't use SCS or Tactics. But in a LN party you had better believe I'm picking up Keldorn.
    Aerakar
    qldgohfmfm3a.png

Ok so one of my mods added way more to the Xvart village than I remembered

zmwlifb867pb.png

WAY more!

d27arw9tzy5d.png

For the first time ever in one of my playthroughs, Dorn was killed before I even had a chance to talk to him. I was going to say no obviously, but I still would've like the chance to send him back to the Friendly Arm.

85bngd0wmyp8.png

Apparently Thalantyr really enjoys turquoise

4pz7nyvda6gk.png
    euz22lkcyc5b.png

Dynaheir and Thalantyr do not like each other

99hrrtentksy.png

Beat the crap out of him!

8zzfpr8a6h8b.png

Ha! Nice try, Talos! Next time give it your A-Game!

h9v18t745mpg.png

Apparently the area with Bassilus is equidistant between Beregost and Nashkel. Who knew!

duhtlbv7vzwa.png

It appears that the same mod that improved the Xvart village did the same for the Nashkel Mines! I barely made it out of there alive but it was exhilarating!
    AerakarBelgarathMTH
    gy7nv5jkab7z.png

Ok so Peldvale just got a lot more interesting!

mkijtpgz60yi.png

TWO Ogre Mages? Well this isn't good

dw7r55xqflm8.png

THREE! Looks like my run just hit a Road Block!

hzg9ob7gs4yr.png

Ok that actually wasn't nearly as hard as I thought was going to be. Does anyone think Ogre Mages should be worth a tad more than 650 Exp though?

ota1dzhho28q.png

(Narrows eyes menacingly) Ah!...my true enemy.

v2aq6r4mn5br.png

Glyph of Warding is a nasty, nasty spell

di7s6s55cszp.png

A narrow escape...let's not poke anymore Shadow Druids until we get to Cloakwood shall we?

17g2v98cndgl.png

Nope!

g1tgx0yfdl5a.png

It seems The Root of the Problem has been replaced with this unique throwing club (I honestly never thought I would mash those two words together). Not sure which is better, but this is pretty awesome!

ab7rgug0jmu5.png

Umm...Dynaheir? Edwin isn't traveling with us
    BelgarathMTHAerakar
    @BelgarathMTH
    Thank you. It means a lot. I'm glad to entertain folks even if only a few respond.
    BelgarathMTHAerakarmonico
    b6y4en9dpcw7.png

Gotta love auto pause. This screenshot is brutal!

pnnaoww750o0.png

It feels good to actually finish this quest for once instead of it bugging out.

96gz1t0forwt.png

<3 Prism was right! It's so beautiful!

bnmq6zc79s83.png
    cgjspb1e2rwx.png

So those assassins in the Area Far East of Nashkel had a few extra friends...as a result I almost ended up dying via Wild Dog! (How shameful)

6sa332pqbdac.png

I swear the tougher enemies that NTotSC provide are worth it in exchange for awesome items like these

8eohh3vo429p.png

Minsc reveals a bit of his hidden ranger knowledge. I think the theory that Minsc's former intelligence manifests itself as "Boo" seems like a pretty solid one.

pf6f9c6ay446.png

Found a new cave near the Beregost Temple which adds a quest that I unfortunately can't finish (they want the Vampire Sword and I already screwed up the Charleston Nib half) but it did grant me a few zombies, two vampiric wolves and (I never thought I'd say this) a Polar Bear Doomsayer named Teddy.

For those of you who want to try this mod with a no-reload run, be prepared for Teddy, he hits like a truck. He was doing an average of 25 damage per hit...without critting.

x466m671esm1.png

So Minsc's protection must have worn off right when I went to charge that Basilisk. Ah well, tis a minor setback

244k7cnjjmda.png

FOR MINSC! Honestly just seeing Khalid solo three basilisks like that without a strength potion is so badass.

qzl4b9aw348r.png

Sorry about that, Minsc. In any case, Welcome Back!

d07j3cimi99q.png

I think I've said this before but Minsc and Khalid make a pretty great team!

k6lmwofdywz1.png

So Drasus had a few extra friends too. Luckily for me they were just Black Talon Elites. It was a rough battle though.

5ipsxgclqol7.png

We emerge victorious!

Quick poll for those who are watching which is the hardest part of the Cloakwood Mines for you

1. Getting in
    2. Hareshian (Mage on 2nd floor)- My personal choice
    3. Daveaorn
    Aerakarmonico
    edited July 2019
    osltikjf103m.png

I'm kinda disappointed that Daveaorn's guard wasn't made a bit tougher.

fxawmmg5hg2s.png

I hate Lightning Bolts!

ol6l0io3cceq.png

These guys spawned like 4 times while I was trying to sleep. When I finally got a wink the party was snoozing on a mountain of corpses

prd5qqiws1cq.png
    mtziqfuqrked.png
    r44c9xk35qdp.png
    szl5dxb15lvq.png
    iy0b5fjrh9ay.png
    f03dwxyc9lqv.png
    55vcneryx1fp.png

If what Elminster says is true there is certainly much more to Boo than meets the eye! But in any case here's just a really fun conversation!

Edit: When Jaheria and Elminster are talking about "never saying it" they are refering to whether or not Boo really is a Minature Giant Space Hamster I lost that screenshot somehow, I apologize.

In general I think it's great, I don't know if its the BG1 NPC Project or some other mod, but the canon party has a lot more banter than any other party I've taken along. It feels really great :)

t4a4jj9q40cn.png

(Facepalms) *Sigh* Minsc just....*sigh*
    AerakarBelgarathMTH