Skip to content

Character creation - Proficiencies - max ammo dmg - Sollutions?

SandkatzeSandkatze Member Posts: 34
I'm somewhat new, read a "few" articles to my problem but found nothing that satisfied my hunger for knowledge due to some "problems".

Some things to know to avoid future troubles:

BG 1 (i think; why so comes later)
Exp cap seems to be 161k. 89k cap not reached yet (Chapter 4) but my party Ranger info shows something about 70k / 150k for next lvl, so should be 161k cap.

Edit: Invoker is 1k short for lvl 8 which is 90k and won't get it no matter how much i'm slaying, so yea, capped at 89k >.<

Found multiple landmarks which statet Swordcoast, so i think BG Tales of the Swordcoast.

Edit: found info on Version which states: v1.1.4 315

Due to above statet reasons, i've got troubles as to solve my problem.

At character creation, you got to put some points to weapon proficiencies. There are multiple points playing in my choice (race, class etc), to make the game enjoyable for me.

I want to somewhat create the perfect Char for me and for that, is it possible to max out dmg from specific weapons?

Bolts - Arrows - Bullets - some throwing Weapons are considered missile weapons and do missile dmg.

My train of thought would be to get somewhat max AC and max ranged dmg / melee dmg.

So 4 points to allocate, 2 per weapon.
Does it make sense to allocate to bow and missile weapons? 'couse speed from bows and dmg from arrows = better than using crossbows.

Or for sake of getting more AC using Shield + 1 handed Axe / Hammer / Blunt weapons and their throwing versions, using their proficiencies + missile proficiency.

What to do? Because of what i understand, arrows are missiles and missile proficiency provides some bonus, same goes to one handed weapons an their proficiencies.

I hope i could somewhat transmit my problem to you, for you to enlighten me.
Post edited by Sandkatze on

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    first im a bit confused

are you playing the enhanced edition or the original?

the enhanced edition has an XP cap of 161 000 XP because it comes with ToSC

the only way you are hitting a 89 000 XP cap is if you do not have ToSC installed and the only way that is even possible is if you are playing the vanilla BG without ToSC

so based on the above info it looks like you are just playing the original BG

so for damage wise here is how "missile type weapons work"

bow - this applies to all bows; short,long,composite

missile weapons - applies to slings, darts, and crossbows

axe - this will apply to throwing axes

small swords - this will apply to throwing daggers

now to max out damage output you will want to put 4 proficiency points into a ranged weapon, this proficiencies do not stack aka; if you have 4 points on bow and 2 points on missile weapons you will not get extra damage on the bow because of your missile weapon proficiency

now your best bet is a fighter because they are the ONLY class that is going pass 2 proficiency points in a weapon

now we have 2 major options here:

#1- put 3 points into bow, 3 points into large swords

or

#2- put 4 points into bow, 2 points into large swords

or even

#3 - put 2 points into bow, 4 poitns into large swords

now based on the vanilla proficiency table these is how it worked in game ( despite what the manual says)

( these are not retroactive )
    2 points - +1 to hit/ +2 to damage
    3 points - +3 to hit/ +3 to damage
    4 points - +3 to hit/ +5 to damage, -1 speed factor

for some weird reason, in vanilla bg, going from 2-3 points increased your damage by 2 instead of 1, which was a bug, but hey, thats how it is

so based off of that, a fighter can have a total of 6 proficiencies altogether with a max of 4 on 1 weapon and 2 on another or 3 on two weapons, if you want maximum range damage output you will want to put 4 proficiencies on bow, and use the composite long bow +1 from feldepost's inn ( which is the most damaging bow in the game ) and coupled with arrows +2 or arrows of acid and you will be doing some serious damage

for your melee weapon, the two handed sword +3 is your best bet for melee damage, especially if your STR is 18/91+ or higher, it is the most damaging sword in the game, and even the spider bane sword which you can easily find in chapter 4 is even a good choice for melee

AC wise the items you will want to wear are:

full plate mail
    either the helm of; balduran or glory
    ring of protection +2
    claw of kazgaroth
    cloak of balduran
    have 18 DEX

this will make your AC -8, which for BG is pretty damn good, especially without a shield, although if you use drizzt's defender scimitar with the large shield +2 then you can hit -13 AC, so the choice is up to you

but realistically if you want a more rounded off character, stick with 3 proficiency points in bow and large swords, use the composite longbow +1 and a two handed sword + whatever you can find, and strap on some full plate with a girdle of bluntness and that claw of kazgaroth with item of protection and you should be good to go, kicking butt and taking names like a bawss

* this is based off the fact if you are playing the vanilla BG, if you are playing the EEs instead, you can do things a bit differently
    ilduderinoGusindaAerakar
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    Good summary there @sarevok57

A few further points from what I recall about Vanilla:
    - There will not be a two handed sword +3 because that is from a TotSC location, unless you are talking about the cursed item which is not recommended!
    - You cannot equip a shield and a bow at the same time. Further, if you do swap them out when switching to melee from ranged, the game will not pause while inventory is opened! Conventional wisdom was to favour two handed swords if a bow user and use 1 hander plus shield judiciously.*
    - I cannot remember for sure, but I believe that none of the thrown weapons got a strength bonus to damage in vanilla. That combined with small ammo stack sizes and weight issues meant that anybody who could use a bow preferred that, and those who could not preferred sling/Xbow.
    - I cannot remember for sure, but the Comp Longbow +1 might not have been in Feldeposts in vanilla.

*Actually if the game still did this, and you could not change weapon or shield quick slots during combat like you can't swap armour, that would restore some much needed challenge/balance.
    sarevok57
    Good summary there @sarevok57

A few further points from what I recall about Vanilla:
    - There will not be a two handed sword +3 because that is from a TotSC location, unless you are talking about the cursed item which is not recommended!
    - You cannot equip a shield and a bow at the same time. Further, if you do swap them out when switching to melee from ranged, the game will not pause while inventory is opened! Conventional wisdom was to favour two handed swords if a bow user and use 1 hander plus shield judiciously.*
    - I cannot remember for sure, but I believe that none of the thrown weapons got a strength bonus to damage in vanilla. That combined with small ammo stack sizes and weight issues meant that anybody who could use a bow preferred that, and those who could not preferred sling/Xbow.
    - I cannot remember for sure, but the Comp Longbow +1 might not have been in Feldeposts in vanilla.

*Actually if the game still did this, and you could not change weapon or shield quick slots during combat like you can't swap armour, that would restore some much needed challenge/balance.

i would almost bet 1 million bucks that the composite longbow +1 was at the feldpost inn, i remember hitting 11 thac0 at level 1 with a triple class, and that bow was required to do so
  • SandkatzeSandkatze Member Posts: 34
    edited July 2019
    Well it seems it is BG Vanilla 'couse 89k cap is real. But still i found multiple waypoints which said Swordcoast...

So no overlapping for weapons, thats a bit meh <.<
    That alone overthrows any ideas i had and, since it seems that Str bonus for throwing weapons is a BG:EE thing, doesn't help either.

As for Drizzt, Pick Pocket showed "Target got no available items" and as for killing him... yeah no.

Two handed Sword +3 "Berserker" is a cursed item so you can't switch it in battle and the Berserk effect is bad for party play, so nope, but thx.

Based on what i found in Wiki's and this discussion it would most likely come down to 2 versions and / or some variations.
    4 Long Bow - 2 Large Swords for full ranged version two handed
    3 Axe 3 Missile for one handed with shield or variations of it.
    more likely 4 axe 2 missile based on that speed factor.

Comp Bow +1 is in Beregost but don't remember anymore if in Feldepost or the smithy. Wiki says Feldeposts Inn
    As for that triple thing, is it possible with 89k cap?

Edit: Thank you for solving some of my troubles.
  • AaezilAaezil Member Posts: 178
    Why do you care about AC if you are going ranged? Give ac items to the frontliner and have him tank.
    by logic, you're right.

but the enemy's don't care. some are not wrecked fast enough with ranged weapons, so they come in melee range, then there are some who don't give a shit about ranged dmg at all, oh and don't forget the folks that likes to ambush you while traveling from map to map.

It's all about situations. It's the same with magic. I don't use it much but sometimes it comes in handy.
    So better to have it and be save, as to not having it and to be sorry.

I know i can't have it all but i can at least try to get the best and most of it all.
    edited July 2019
    @Sandkatze

by triple thing if you mean is it possible to have 3 proficiencies in two weapons within a 89000 XP cap, the answer is yes

at level 1:

put 2 points into one weapon

put 2 points into another weapon

at level 3:

put your third point into one weapon

at level 6:

put your third point into another weapon

and yes, the composite longbow +1 is at feldpost's inn

for sword wise, you have 2 options; spider bane or drizzt's defender scimitar

spider bane deals more damage and gives you free action

defender scimitar deals 1 less damage and gives you +2 AC bonus

so up to you which sword is better

in vanilla BG you can kill drizzt super easily with some cheese if you are not apposed to it:
    first you need x4 potions of invisibility or someone who can cast invisibility 4 times or any combination of the two, you just need x4 invisibilities

next make sure to turn your AI scripts off ( by pressing the lantern button in the bottom right corner )

now you will notice that drizzt is surrounded by gnolls, let drizzt take the gnolls out and then get x4 of your characters to surround him so he can't move ( make sure the other 2 can use the halberds on the ground )

with those 4 characters that are surrounding drizzt, make them invisible

then with your other 2 characters equip some of those halberds and whack drizzt from behind your invisible characters

if done correctly drizzt will not be able to reach your halberd using guys, and eventually you will score enough critical hits that drizzt will go down ( it may take 5-10 minutes but this strategy is so effective you can do it even at level 1, if you somehow had enough invisibility )

after drizzt falls you will get a whooping 12 000 XP and lose Reputation, but you get 2 of the best single handed melee weapons in the game, plus a suit of chainmail +4 that fighter/thieves can wear with no penalties to thief abilities
    With triple thing i meant this one:
    sarevok57 wrote: »

i would almost bet 1 million bucks that the composite longbow +1 was at the feldpost inn, i remember hitting 11 thac0 at level 1 with a triple class, and that bow was required to do so

As for your points allocation, i don't get it xD
    At lvl 1 it's clear, at lvl 3 somewhat, at lvl 6 you lost me

As for Drizzt, maybe someday but at least not for now.
    Sandkatze wrote: »
    With triple thing i meant this one:
    sarevok57 wrote: »

As for your points allocation, i don't get it xD
    At lvl 1 it's clear, at lvl 3 somewhat, at lvl 6 you lost me

As for Drizzt, maybe someday but at least not for now.

oh okay,

so if you are a triple class: fighter/mage/thief

it is possible to have 11 thac0 while still being level 1

and to do so you need to:

be an elf

have 19 DEX

use the composite long bow +1

use the bracers of archery

have 2 proficiencies in bow

the composite long bow +1 can be a little costly at level 1 and the bracers of archery can sometimes be a little difficult to aquire at level 1, but it cane be done
    ah yeah... i somehow missed it at char creation...

well, due to blury exp cap knowledge i need to start over again, which happens if your appetite is bigger than your stomach. i shouldn't have dual classed Imoen if i don't know the exact cap.

It seems to be a perfect opportunity to transfer the crafted theory into practice if only character creation wouldn't be soooo time consuming.
    if you go to this exact site:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/index_mods2.php

there is a mod there that lets you grow to level 30,40 or 50 if you want to go pass the 89000 XP cap

but even with that said, unless you do some serious grind, you will probably still have a tough time getting pass 125 000 XP per character if you have a 6 person team

but with that also being said, now you basically have no XP cap, so then you don't have to worry about having your classes capped off
    true but where's the fun in that?
    the fun aspect aside, i think i shouldn't do that. if anything goes wrong i'm doomed.
    for whatever reason i can't rescue my save files, should i ever do a reinstall. i think a 32 bit program doesn't do well on a 64 bit system ^^'
    you can still run 32 bit programs on a 64 bit OS, if you have windows that is what the Program Files (x86) folder is for, 32 bit programs

in fact, there is still alot of programs that are 32 bit, hence the reason for that folder

if you have steam, or GOG sometimes you can get sales on the BG series, and they will come with TotSC and you wont have to use CDs to run the games
    ConjurerDragon
    edited July 2019
    nice to know but still doesn't solve my savegame file problem (well, it's a minor one, so it's neglectable)^^'

so no mods for me ^^
  • ikubaikuba Member Posts: 37
    Hi all, could someone explain is it a bug or a feature?

Currently you do not loose Shortly bonuses when you wear Claw of Kazgaroth.

e.g. Gnome with 16CON has 7 spell throw, and with 18CON - 6 spell throw.

Claw gives -2CON and +3 spell throw.

So if you have 18CON and you wear claw result should be following (as i expected):

Spell throw decreases from 6 to 7 due to lowering CON from 18 to 16 and after +3 bonus throw final value should be 4.

But currently with 18CON and claw you have spell throw 3 (6+3, not 7+3).

Looks like claw just affects on your natural attributes and throw values, and it is not resulting recalculating throws due to lowering attributes.
    ikuba wrote: »
    Hi all, could someone explain is it a bug or a feature?

Currently you do not loose Shortly bonuses when you wear Claw of Kazgaroth.

e.g. Gnome with 16CON has 7 spell throw, and with 18CON - 6 spell throw.

Claw gives -2CON and +3 spell throw.

So if you have 18CON and you wear claw result should be following (as i expected):

Spell throw decreases from 6 to 7 due to lowering CON from 18 to 16 and after +3 bonus throw final value should be 4.

But currently with 18CON and claw you have spell throw 3 (6+3, not 7+3).

Looks like claw just affects on your natural attributes and throw values, and it is not resulting recalculating throws due to lowering attributes.

i believe shorty saves are calculated based on hard base CON, because back in the day, you could get fighter/clerics using DuHM to improve their saves upon level ups and it wouldn't return back to their original value when it expired or until they grew up another level

now if your CON was permanently drained to 16 ( aka vials of mysterious liquid ) then when you grow up your next level, your shorty save bonuses will recalculate, same with if you had 17 CON and read the book of constitution, your shorty saves would recalculate on your next level up
  • ikubaikuba Member Posts: 37
    thanks for fast reply and explanation, i will check this.
    but sound logical so i suppose you are right
    sarevok57