Skip to content

Vipers edge +2

Found it in EE keeper but I have never seen it in game, found tons of other weird/broken items but none was as interesting as vipers edge +2 and I would rather acquire without cheats so where is it? :)

Also did some experiments with the blade and found out the hard way that if you equip it you instantly die for petrification! Solved that "problem" by drinking a potion of mirrored eyes but it wore off which resulted in another death when I slept or reloaded. So the sword is a bit problematic to use :s. It also poisons the user from time to time in combat but I removed that problem by using the poison resistance necklace.

Even though the sword has some flaws it is a beast in combat and should prove very fun on a mage/thief since it causes wild magic spikes from casting spells and improves the backstab multiplier.

Would really like to know if there is a way to tame this sword and use it effectively! Will add screenshots of the item description!

imageimageimageimage

Comments

• DullSkullTheSecondDullSkullTheSecond Member Posts: 243
    The description may be a bit hard to read so zooming in will help :) Should probably have cut them.
    The description is also very interesting and worth a read!
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Are you running any mods ? I saw it earlier today in my EE:Keeper and I thought it was coming from a mod I installed.
    Not a single mod so it must come from the game, was thinking if it could come from the expansion because I never finished it.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    It certainly isn't from a mod. Not sure what it is doing in there but, asside from the fact that it is only +2, its effects seem way overpowered... for ToB that is. The only way I can think of to tame it is to remove that pesky petrification effect.
    How can I do that? Without cheating too much

Also I do not see the sword as that overpowered since it already instantly kills it's user lol
    You would have to use an editor like NearInfinity to remove the petrification effect.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Could only be a blade available in the Black Pits, as it sounds far too over powered to be found by a low level adventuring party in Baldur's Gate.
    Note that the sword also has a chance of petrifying the user when it hits an opponent and it doesn't look like @elminster‌ removed that.
    edited June 2014
    This sword seems very messy, really tries to make itself unusable. But I must say I love items like this, very powerful but also very dangerous and forces the user to take precautions before using it.

Will try the mod @elminister provided tomorrow, will be very interesting to try out the sword with "less" risk of getting petrified. Will also check if it removes the petrified on hit effect. Also thank you so much for this mod!

Would be amazing if more of these kind of cursed items could be added to the game.

Also there is no way to "track" this item in keeper? To find its source? Started to think that the sword is used by some creature in the game but can't be looted, or that it's very well hidden like evermemory.

Could only be a blade available in the Black Pits, as it sounds far too over powered to be found by a low level adventuring party in Baldur's Gate.

That I did not think of, worth giving black pits a try just for this reason!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    It's nowhere in the game. It was just made for pure fun :) of making a ultra-cursed Stormbringer-like sword.
    But why would it not be in the game? It has this long detailed description that perhaps is the longest for any item in the game and all these impressive effects only to not be used. That would be an extreme waste..?
    elminster said:

This sword seems very messy, really tries to make itself unusable. But I must say I love items like this, very powerful but also very dangerous and forces the user to take precautions before using it.

Will try the mod @elminister provided tomorrow, will be very interesting to try out the sword with "less" risk of getting petrified. Will also check if it removes the petrified on hit effect. Also thank you so much for this mod!

Would be amazing if more of these kind of cursed items could be added to the game.

Also there is no way to "track" this item in keeper? To find its source? Started to think that the sword is used by some creature in the game but can't be looted, or that it's very well hidden like evermemory.

Yea sorry. I missed the whole petrification on hit thing. If you use this then it should avoid it. I also removed the fact that it was breakable, since as a magical weapon that didn't make much sense.
    Thank you so much!
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I guess that must be the result of some mod built into BGT, @Viconiaisworthit.
  • ViconiaisworthitViconiaisworthit Member Posts: 4

I guess that must be the result of some mod built into BGT, @Viconiaisworthit.

Well, as far as I'm aware, BGT is mainly about playing BG1 with the BG2 engine, thus allowing you to play a character from Candlekeep through to the Throne of Bhaal. There is no mention of any added items.

I've also checked all the additional mods I've loaded and the only possibilities for new items were the Item Upgrade mod and Unfinished Business for BG2, which both install specific named items. Viper's Edge is not named amongst them.

So, unless you're right, I'm inclined to believe it's in the original game, and yet it's still surprising that no-one has located it until now (and posted about it, of course). There's far harder stuff to find, lying in some tiny nook in the middle of nowhere, especially in BG1, without the aid of the tab key.

In any case, any BGEE player should soon tell be able to tell me if I'm talking out of my arse or not.
    Damn it, I checked and apparently it's from the 1pp mod which I do have installed. *shamefaced* I knew it was too good to be true. I presume they're content that was created by the original designers and left out of the final game. 1pp adds them back in.

Oh well. I think I'll go and listen to Viconia run hot and cold.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Was going to say I'd be surprised if it formed part of the basic game files as I generally press the tab key every few steps when in a new area.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

In any case, any BGEE player should soon tell be able to tell me if I'm talking out of my arse or not.

Well, that's actually what I was trying to do in a gentle and polite way. :wink: I'm glad you've now identified how it got there.

I presume they're content that was created by the original designers and left out of the final game. 1pp adds them back in.

I don't think it's a very sensible item to have added, but there are others which are even more nonsensical and dysfunctional in the game files. For example, there's a sword named "Yes, you are free to go." which has the description "No, now get back to work!" (and nothing else), which was obviously just a meaningless doodle by one of the coders in a bored moment. On the other hand, there are unused items in the files which seem to be credible and complete, but didn't make the final cut (perhaps because related quests were never completed or were rejected for poor quality).

I suspect that the Viper's Edge was merely a coding exercise or in-joke ("Hey, look, guys! I've made the most ridiculous sword!"), rather than something which was ever intended to be included in the game.

Well, that's actually what I was trying to do in a gentle and polite way. :wink: I'm glad you've now identified how it got there.

I see that now. Thank you for your restraint. :smile:

I suspect that the Viper's Edge was merely a coding exercise or in-joke ("Hey, look, guys! I've made the most ridiculous sword!"), rather than something which was ever intended to be included in the game.
    I agree. I certainly have no intention of using it.

• IIntelMIIntelM Member Posts: 2
    Do saving throws apply to the petrifaction effect?
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    Just wear the mirror helm and protected from petrification.