Skip to content

Half-Orc Half-Halfling would be unstoppable!

Reading up on the half orc.

Apparently they're not as strong as an orc, but the thing is orcs are pretty clumsy, so they combine the strength of the orc with the nimbleness of a human. It's a winning proposition. You don't even need all that much strength if you can direct it effectively.

Nimbleness of a human though? I think we can do better than that. Suppose we combine the strength of an orc with the nimbleness of a halfling! The Orcling would be the Ultimate Physical Powerhouse.

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'm picturing a furry little halfling with a totally ripped green arm.

You know, like

azd2u711y7wj.png
    ChroniclerBalrog99
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    oi3a3zz87xgb.gif
    ChroniclersemiticgoddessThacoBell
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Physics precludes such a coupling, I would think . . .
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    In all seriousness though, from what I understand with dogs the big one just has to be the mom.

Big Dog Mom and Small Dog Dad produces offspring. Big Dog Dad and Small Dog Mom just kills the mom creating a baby that's far too large for her to carry.

Though who's to say, maybe The Realms have some magic to help Babies of Unusual Size.
    gorgonzolaThacoBell
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2019
    *Scribbles on pad*

(What? Nothing to see here. I'm definitely not copying this down for a future pnp campaign) :)

But in all seriousness the only place that would be safe from these monsters would be the underdark. Which is pretty telling.
    ChroniclerBalrog99
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    elminster wrote: »
    But in all seriousness the only place that would be safe from these monsters would be the underdark. Which is pretty telling.
    Well... you could always switch the Orclings in exchange for the Underdark native Half-Orog / Half-Derro hybrid known as Ororro
    Well... you could always switch the Orclings in exchange for the Underdark native Half-Orog / Half-Derro hybrid known as Ororro

The underdark is harsh enough. Let's not give its more insane denizens any ideas :)
    Why the underdark specifically if you don't mind my asking?
    elminster
    Mind flayers, beholders, drow, driders, dragons. I guess there is enough down there that could hold their brute force at bay. Although halflings have immunity to being frightened (in 5E) so they've got that going for them.
    Chronicler
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Although halflings have immunity to being frightened (in 5E) so they've got that going for them.

They do?? I smell kender influences from Dragonlance. XD
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Although halflings have immunity to being frightened (in 5E) so they've got that going for them.

They do?? I smell kender influences from Dragonlance. XD

Sorry my bad. They have advantage to saving throws against being frightened. So they could be frightened but just have a better chance of not being.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    The half elf takes somethinhg of the 2 races, not all the best staked, probably it should be so also here.
    It is also here. I thought I made that clear in the initial post.

A standard half-orc is not as strong as an orc nor as nimble as a human, but by combining both these traits they become a whole new kind of dangerous.

Orclings would just be a further extension of that. Halfings are more nimble than humans so they'd work better for that.
    gorgonzola
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    I wonder if a halforc/halfling would just basically be a human.

The halfling blood would make more nimble, cancelling orc clumsiness, but also would cancel out the orc side's strength more than a medium race.

A human with dark vision, maybe?
    Chronicler
    And here I thought the half-orc/half-elf hybrids were already known as humans. As hardy as orcs and even uglier than elves.
    ElysianEchoesBalrog99
    And here I thought the half-orc/half-elf hybrids were already known as humans. As hardy as orcs and even uglier than elves.

I've read some stuff online about elf/orc hybrids, but near as I can gather it's all been homebrew.

Since Elves and Orcs are both confirmed to be able to procreate with humans, procreating with eachother seems like a no brainer, but there seems to be a conspicuous absence of official lore in that department.

Interesting thing I also read somewhere on this forum once. Allegedly it's laid out somewhere to be a half orc you need at least one orc parent or two orc grandparents. Basically you need to be at least 50% orc to be a half-orc. Same with half elves and such.

Allegedly it's quite commonplace for humans to have some degree of non-human ancestry in the realms, to the point that anything under 50% is just considered human. Culturally nobody thinks anything if you've got a little bit of a tusk situation going on and stat sheet wise you just use the human stats.

If that's true you could make the case that humans are the odd ones out here, being able to procreate with anything and that's why there aren't a bunch of dwarf gnomes running around and stuff.

I don't know what rule book was supposed to say this though.
    ThacoBell
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Athas featured a very Marty Stu half elf half halfling. It was theoretically interesting, but I found one read through to be plenty.

3rd ed gave orcs a bonus to strength of +4, and -2 to all 3 mental scores, and no other bonus' nearly to balance high strength to a cr of 1/2 for a lvl 1 orc warrior. Halfers got a slew of nice bonus to offset low str. A mix would likely be hard to balance, as even +2 str is a big buff mechanically, though with non phb content, other stats became pretty useful, and you could easily argue that despite what the books suggest, +2 cha is actually pretty damn sweet.

Imho, to get a good mix of both it'd need a LA of +1.

I miss 3rd ed.
    shabadoo
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    3.0 was crap, but 3.5 was excellent. Just a few changes made a huge difference there.
    I read somewhere in one of the 3.5 core books(phb, or dmg) that any race combination is allowable in the rules, at the DM's discretion of course. It was, as I remember, mute on how this was handled mechanically. Leaving it up to the DM and the group, as usual. This is and always will be the best aspect of DnD, the "rules" are really up to us.
    ChroniclerDreadKhanZaxareslolien
    Well, they did make Savage Species, and it was reasonably popular, especially for power gamers or RPers. This book had a huge emphasis on making extremely unusual races reasonable to use, but they didn't have a half half orc half halfling hybrid.

3rd ed wasn't quite crap, but it wasn't perfect by any means. I miss the engine that 3rd edition shoved into DnD, which made the whole thing pretty much strictly pattern based. The CR system was wonky as all hell, and it was very easy to bork a character if you didn't know what you were doing, but I still enjoyed the game.
    Ahh yes, I LOVED Savage Species. :D I managed to convince my part-time DM to let me play a Minotaur Barbarian (who was also unusually intelligent for his kind at Int 13); think Conan the Barbarian, but bigger and "beefier". XD
    lolien
    I loved Minotaurs, they got some nice buffs, along with serious size and strength boosts.

My favourite was tricking my DM into letting me run a semi-intelligent Bakemono that was essentially an attack dog, with huge physical damage from 3 apr, with high physical stats and minimal intelligence, enough to understand basic commands, like a dog. :smiley: He was a real terror actually, quite broken, even without trying too hard.

I also loved the Fiend Folio to death, especially the delightful infernal prestige classes at the back, which I loved to try to find ways to break. I loved taking them and using a Bloodline build, so they'd get 3 bonus levels of the prestige class for all their abilities, making them quite amazing. For example, you could have a Fiend of Possession that is effectively 9th level, meaning he can add +9 to a magic item he possesses! I actually wanted to some day make a Neutral fiend of Posession, which you could actually do (evil subtype doesn't require you to be evil!), and buy out the level adjustment, and you could technically meet the class requirements for FoP at like level 3 or 4, it was crazy. I think later editions tried to kibosh the whole 'prestige class levels before level 5' thing, but this was a fun build. You needed +5 to will saves IIRC, and some skill points I think, so it required careful multi-classing, and you had to be an outsider, but Savage Species featured a ritual to grant the Evil subtype! So you can qualify, and immediately go from a 2/1 caster multiclass to a nigh undetectable scout, and able to safely buff up the party Barbarian's weapon, making him more effective. You can also buff defences, but this isn't a big deal really until you can get up to +4 or +5. Eventually, the idea was the character would have maxed out cha, and taken Leadership, so he could have a cohort, who would wield a weapon he provided, which this cohort will have taken prestige classes to enhance the weapon further, making for an insanely effective fighter that is likely swinging with a +14 weapon with +5 worth of abilities, ideally including Speed. Just nuts IMHO. The best part, you can also just possess any object you want to and animate it, allowing you to fight without any risk! It was insane enough that no DM would ever allow it. :(
    gorgonzola
    Funnily enough, Minotaurs are actually a little short-changed in the Strength department. They get a +4 Str bonus when played as a race, but considering that as Large creatures they should already get a +4 Str bonus due to their size, that actually means that Minotaurs are no stronger than, say, a human with an Enlarge spell cast on them. (For comparison, an Ogre character gets a +8 bonus to Strength, which would translate to +4 from their size and +4 from their race.)

Still, Minotaurs get a bunch of other nice benefits, such as an additional Gore natural attack, a Powerful Charge ability, the Scent special ability (which means you can more or less never be surprised by invisible or stealthed foes), and the ability to never become lost, which makes for some cool roleplaying fodder, especially in wilderness adventures or in mazes.
    Savage Species grants Minotaurs +8 str, but the Dragonlance Campaign grants only +4 for a much weaker minotaur. Iirc, Ogres get +10, and half ogres get +6.
    Dragon #313 also had the Half-Minotaur template. It only granted very basic stuff though: a gore attack, +2 natural armor rating, Str +4, Con +2, Int -2 and a LA+1. Some minor skill boni too if I remember correctly.
    DreadKhan wrote: »
    Savage Species grants Minotaurs +8 str, but the Dragonlance Campaign grants only +4 for a much weaker minotaur. Iirc, Ogres get +10, and half ogres get +6.

Hmm... That's odd. I'm quite sure that Minotaurs got a +4 Strength bonus... Maybe it's a difference between 3.0 and 3.5 rules? Savage Species was released under 3.0 rules, so perhaps I'm remembering the stats for a 3.5 Minotaur? I'll need to dig up my old rulebooks to check.
    Full minotaur is quite a level investment, iirc +2 beyond him monstrous humanoid levels, for an ecl of 8 I think. Since he can do a Large and In Charge build, he can be a nightmare to fight, esp with good dex (ends up as neutral 0 bonus, so you could have maybe 14 from rolling).
    edited August 2019
    Of course this thread leads to another question. What is more terrifying? The half-orc/halfling, or a half gnome/half goliath?

With it you'd get that nice mix of constitution, strength, and intelligence.
    ChroniclerThacoBell
    That makes me wonder... What would happen if you got a fiend and a celestial to have a child together? Would you have a half-fiend celestial, or a half-celestial fiend? Or would you just wind up with a normal human? :P
    ThacoBellelminster
    Of course this thread leads to another question. What is more terrifying? The half-orc/halfling, or a half gnome/half goliath?
    The latter. Chances are that the newborn is larger than the mother. I already can see the maternity horror unfold... *shudders*
    Zaxares wrote: »
    That makes me wonder... What would happen if you got a fiend and a celestial to have a child together? Would you have a half-fiend celestial, or a half-celestial fiend? Or would you just wind up with a normal human? :P
    Pathfinder has the Crossblooded Sorcerer archetype, which could nicely simulate a half-evil outsiderl/half-good outsider hybrid. All you'd have to do is pick the bloodlines you want. Choosing Daemon and Solar for instance is lots of fun. :)

Though I don't know if that was ever a thing in D&D.
    elminster