Skip to content

A halfling, any halfling.

2»

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Boon of Lathander also stacks with itself. They can get truly outstanding damage output in the late game.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    yep, dw + 3x boon + improved haste is like 7 rounds of GWW in vanilla, on a character with fighter like thac0, 25 str and the hp buff.
    his ranged GWW is named energy blades.

clerics rule if properly used and the lathander kit is by far the best one.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    yep, dw + 3x boon + improved haste is like 7 rounds of GWW in vanilla, on a character with fighter like thac0, 25 str and the hp buff.
    his ranged GWW is named energy blades.

clerics rule if properly used and the lathander kit is by far the best one.

Agreed, though Helm is very, very strong in BG1, as all clerics are beasts early on, and become better and better until slowing down IMHO in SoD, where they start to turn into a bit more of a support character, using their undead as meat shields, with most of their shut down spells being now ineffective, being easy to save vs, or with enemies that are immune to it like Command. At this point, they do have a pretty good tool in their Seeking Sword, but it's hard to argue that it's truly better than Boon, even then, especially as you can fight level draining opponents IIRC.
  • WinterisleWinterisle Member Posts: 111
    I have a question,

I've being trying to use Seeking Sword and it only lasts 3 SECONDS. It doesn't give me much time to use it. Is this normal? Should it last longer later on?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Yeah, it should last longer later I think, but shouldn't it be 1 round at least?
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    It is supposed to last one round per level. So eventually it lasts longer.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    In fact, the primary complaint people have with Seeking Sword is that as you level up it starts to last too long.

It shuts down all your spellcasting for its duration, so some duration is nice, but past a certain point it's obnoxious to plan around.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited August 2019
    seeking sword is strong at a certain point, but far less useful late game, and for me something that prevent the casting is not wise for a caster. this is the reason why i also very rarely use tensor's transformation with my mages and bards and champion's strength with my clerics.
    why i should silence one of my casters? i am not happy if an enemy do it and i don't like to rp masochist charnames... :D
    3 apr and -4 thac0, but no damage bonus with a low damaging weapon (2d4) is not enough to compensate.

EDIT
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    with a low damaging weapon (2d4)
    2d4 is not bad, 4.5 on average, so what i told can seem not fair.
    but compare it with flail of the ages +3:
    1d6+4 crushing, +1 acid, +1 cold, +1 fire damage (bypass MR, no save) so 10.5 on average, 8 minimum roll
    and
    33% chance of slowing target for 20 seconds (bypass MR, no save, stack with itself).
    imo there is no comparison, the seeking sword, even with its 3 apr, is a sub par weapon in bg2, even ignoring its forcing silence on the cleric.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @gorgonzola: A 2d4 is 5 on average. A 1d8 is 4.5 on average. The Seeking Sword and morningstars are marginally better than longswords.

Seeking Sword is a little more practical if you combine it with damage-boosting stuff like bard songs and the Emotion: Hope and Emotion: Rage spells from IWD or SCS v32. Combine it with Righteous Magic and DUHM (if DUHM is necessary to hit 25 STR) and it can be quite impressive, 3 base APR at 22 damage per hit. It's actually competitive with a single-classed fighter's damage output if the fighter isn't using speed weapons.

I still think the Cleric of Lathander has better potential overall, but to be fair, a single-classed cleric's biggest drawback is its low APR, and the Seeking Sword fixes that, albeit at a high cost. DUHM and Righteous Magic have always given clerics excellent per-hit damage.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Don't say hobbit! Do you wanna get sued, man?
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
    For what it's worth, a Halfling is the only race that can "100%" the Prologue without killing anyone, since to do this you need 60 Open Locks, 20 Find Traps and 50 Pick Pocket.