Skip to content

No loading when main hero dies

eLDeuseLDeus Member Posts: 8
Hello, i'm wondering if there's a mod making game to remain without loading after the main character death? Thanks!

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    None that I have seen. I'd think it's related to that you can easily choose not to load.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    So you mean the game continues after the main character dies?

This would make it so the Bhaalspawn saga could in fact be completed without a Bhaalspawn present. Kinda pointless.

Or a simple game over, no reload option available on character death? That's easy, just don't load a save game.
  • AkuroAkuro Member Posts: 93
    None that I know of, at least *for the Enhanced Edition*. However, for the original BG 2 game, there are indeed two mods, which provide what you ask for:

1) If you install Throne of Bhaal extender over BG2 (vanilla!), there is an option called "no reload on player 1 death" (or sth. like that). If you set the "0" in that line in the TOBEx.ini to "1" the game continues, even if your whole party is dead.

2) There is a mod which I installed via the Big World Project, which changed the game to be over only if the whole party is dead. I don't know the name of the mod (shouldn't be that hard to find out), but I was amazed when I saw its (graphical) effects for the first time!
    However, this mod was bugged and caused your mainchar to become invincible some times.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Create an macro or an rule in the savegame folder of Baldur's Gate 2 to instant delete anything created there with the name auto-save or quick-save (or the name the game actually give to quick saves and auto saves) OR edit the game files to remove the existence of quick save and auto save.

Change Baldur's Gate game files to link the delete command of the saved games button with the load command, so any time you load something you're deleting it at the same time.

Now you have the hardcore BG install, but just a tip, in the first crash the game gives, you're going feel the urge of destroy your widescreen.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    The EEs have an area flag for whether the protagonist can die without game-over. As it is an area flag, you would have to flag all areas for this to apply game-wide (not difficult with WeiDU).
  • lionwarriorkinglionwarriorking Member Posts: 28
    Wisp said:

The EEs have an area flag for whether the protagonist can die without game-over. As it is an area flag, you would have to flag all areas for this to apply game-wide (not difficult with WeiDU).

How do I get this done on ipad?
    Wisp said:

I can't find where to flag? ?
    Wisp said:

Whats weidu?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Wisp said:

Whats weidu?
    WeiDU is a utility program that 99% of mods use to install on Infinity Engine games. Basically, you would write a script of WeiDU commands to edit each .ARE file in the game and set the "Player 1 can die" flag. Then, you'd run WeiDU using the script to make the changes.

http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/README-WeiDU.html#htoc1

Wisp said:

Whats weidu?
    WeiDU is a utility program that 99% of mods use to install on Infinity Engine games. Basically, you would write a script of WeiDU commands to edit each .ARE file in the game and set the "Player 1 can die" flag. Then, you'd run WeiDU using the script to make the changes.

Thank you for the response! So essentially I would be creating my own mod by writing a script of weidu commands. Hopefully I can dothis ccorrectly and transfer to my ipad, cheers
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited January 2015

Wisp said:

Whats weidu?

Thank you for the response! So essentially I would be creating my own mod by writing a script of weidu commands. Hopefully I can dothis ccorrectly and transfer to my ipad, cheers
    Keep in mind that while many mods will work, ( @lunar showed us how), you can't modify dialog.tlk on an iOS device unless it's jailbroken, which personally I'm not willing to do.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @jackjack modifying .are files to change their flags doesn't require any type of change to the .tlk file :)
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited February 2015
    I see that there is "5 PLAYER1CANDIE" in AREAFLAG.IDS, but which ARE offset should be modified to assign it?

edit: nevermind, it is 0x0014 in header
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    The weidu script would look like this:

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.are$~ ~override~
    WRITE_LONG 0x14 THIS|16
    BUT_ONLY

So, it goes over all areas, making a copy of all area files into the override. There is a small change it does to every file, it modifies the long (4 bytes) field starting at 0x14, by setting a bit (16). This bit is responsible for NOT ending the game if player1 dies.

Disclaimer: i didn't test this, and i'm only a mediocre weidu user.
  • enneractenneract Member Posts: 187

The weidu script would look like this:

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.are$~ ~override~
    WRITE_LONG 0x14 THIS|16
    BUT_ONLY

So, it goes over all areas, making a copy of all area files into the override. There is a small change it does to every file, it modifies the long (4 bytes) field starting at 0x14, by setting a bit (16). This bit is responsible for NOT ending the game if player1 dies.

Disclaimer: i didn't test this, and i'm only a mediocre weidu user.
    Do you know if the game will end if the player gets permadead?
  • BlashBlash Member Posts: 248
    For those interested, sorry for cross posting but I think this is an appropriate thread: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/30562-modders-wanted-protagonist-can-die-tweak/