Skip to content

FPS Drops

VahtosVahtos Member Posts: 4
I originally posted this on Reddit, and was offered some help that partially fixed the issue. (original post below) I generally am getting better FPS now, but there are still obvious drops in FPS (from about 80-90 down to about 30). I cannot seem to pinpoint what is causing this.

Original post:
"Hi everyone. I recently got the enhanced edition from beamdog. But I have been having issues with fps in game. For some reason my fps will drop in some areas to about 20 (while gpu usage is only around 20%). I know they are still optimizing a lot of the graphical effects, but I tried turning each off, and actually even setting everything as low as possible and the issue persists.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Or does anyone else have this problem? The game is still easily playable even when this happens, it's just a tad choppy.

Specs:

AMD FX 8350

Radeon R9 270x x2(crossfire off for the game)

16gb ram

Windows 10

If it matters, the game isn't on the same drive as my OS...

Things I have tried:

-Compatibility mode for windows 7/Windows XP

-Setting priority for nwn.exe to High

-Turning off all graphical features and setting all settings to low.

-Running as admin

-Lots of good old fashioned googling, but alas have not found anything that worked.

Update: I updated drivers to the most current one (18.3.2), I set max texture to 1024, and also set fullscreen to 1 (I wanted to do that anyways)."

Comments

• TitaniaTitania Member Posts: 1
    I am noticing FPS Drops are occurring in areas I am playing specifically with Snowfall. I am not sure if it is happening with other precipitations but I have not yet tested. Can this be fixed?
  • ShaidenShaiden Member Posts: 181
    Do you have a module or save-file in which you are encountering this FPS drop?

If so, can you file a bug on our redmine, and attach the save-game to it?
  • VahtosVahtos Member Posts: 4
    Shaiden said:

I am not entirely sure what you mean exactly. I have been playing on online servers. The most recent one was a Diablo clone. Should I test it on a local game, one of the campaigns and send a save file if it persists?
    Just a little more information, this FPS drop and stuttering seems to be a Windows version issue. I tried playing on my laptop (with integrated graphics) which is running Ubuntu 17.10 and the game works very smoothly 40-60 fps constantly. No big dips, no stuttering...
  • SpotSpot Member Posts: 12
    I experience fps drops when I'm in the Vanilla city core (60 to 30). Also the game freezes often for a couple seconds.

i7 7700HQ 16 gb RAM and GTX1060
  • ShaidenShaiden Member Posts: 181
    @Vahtos If I might ask Vahtos, what sort of graphics card does your windows machine use?

@Spot Do you find that the FPS diminishes in any one particular area? At any one particular camera zoom / angle? Additionally, if you turn up / down the settings, do you see a noticeable chance in the FPS when dropped? or does it remain static?

Thanks!
  • SpotSpot Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2018
    @Shaiden It is more stable in other areas, but the stuttering/freezing remains wherever I am. I tried turning down settings (mainly AA and Ambient Occlusion) but the change wasn't that noticeable.

@Shaiden

Specs:

AMD FX 8350

Radeon R9 270x x2(crossfire off for the game)

16gb ram

Windows 10
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I think it's time to report it on support.baldursgate.com ! Thanks in advance!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    We're doing some active info gathering on performance. If you're running into severe FPS isues and would like to let us know, please do the following

File a bug in our Redmine tracker specifying:
    1) What kind of impact you're encountering
    2) Where it is happening
    3) If you have or are using custom content
    4) Ideally a savegame in / just before the area you are encountering the issues
    5) General hardware system information
    6) Any kind of metrics or demonstration of performance
    (For example, the video as linked earlier, or hitting the Tilde key to open the command console, and typing "trace fps" to get framerate tracking)
    7) If there are any steps you found alleviated the symptoms, what were they?

Thanks!
  • neludzneludz Member Posts: 23
    I have serious drops (from 60 to 20-25) after 40-60 minutes in game no matter in what area. It returns to normal after restarting nwn ee. i7-2600 3.4 Ghz, 8 gb ram, GTX 1060, Win 10. What could be the problem?
  • S0BlindS0Blind Member Posts: 5
    Good Evening All,

I have a save file you can use for testing. As other users have stated. I play for about 40-60 minutes going in and out of Neverwinter and eventually the main city (Neverwinter) is completely unplayable and I have to reload the game.

Complete DXDiag available as well.

-S0Blind
    Shaiden said:

How do I do this process. I am experiencing this issue and I have a safe file I can submit.
    @S0Blind Sorry for the late reply (I was on vacation).

You can learn the process here.
    Hmmm... So this is awkward.

Problems been resolved with latest builds. I am running 100-144 frames solid (All Graphics Enhancements Enabled). Even with CEP and PRC installed from NWNVault.