Skip to content

Un-find Familiar?

Is there a way to dismiss your familiar once you have found one? I know I can just leave it in my backpack but I would quite like to get rid of it because it feels like its only real function is to be a hit point boost (plus I think the graphic sucks so it bothers me every time I open my backpack and see my fairy dragon sitting there like a badly drawn pink splodge).

Comments

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Kill it and then use EEKeeper to restore your con?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited August 2019
    Afterwards change your alignment to CN using EEKeeper, summon your kitty cat that makes quite a nice scout then switch back to CG if you want. The cat, rabbit and ferret all are more useful familiars in BG1 (and they're cuter in your backpack, too!). Other than the mephit for NE, you picked the most useless familiar for the beginning of the saga...

Edit: It just occurred to me that there should be a 'Lose Familiar' spell! B)
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Thanks for the replies. It turns out it didn't matter in the end because I died before my familiar did. I wonder if the little critter is still stuck in my backpack?
    edited August 2019
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    The cat, rabbit and ferret all are more useful familiars in BG1 (and they're cuter in your backpack, too!). Other than the mephit for NE, you picked the most useless familiar for the beginning of the saga...

Don't listen to them, Princess Starshine! You're the bestest, most cutest pseudodragon to ever sit in my backpack from Candlekeep to the Throne of Bhaal without EVER coming out again! <3

Wait a minute, he said 'fairy dragon'. Those aren't at all useful until SoA and even then just for a free casting of Invisibility 10' Radius. Pseudodragons are awesome!
    The cat, rabbit and ferret all are more useful familiars in BG1 (and they're cuter in your backpack, too!). Other than the mephit for NE, you picked the most useless familiar for the beginning of the saga...

Don't listen to them, Princess Starshine! You're the bestest, most cutest pseudodragon to ever sit in my backpack from Candlekeep to the Throne of Bhaal without EVER coming out again! <3

Wait a minute, he said 'fairy dragon'. Those aren't at all useful until SoA and even then just for a free casting of Invisibility 10' Radius. Pseudodragons are awesome!

Fairy dragons aren't completely useless in BG1. They are immune to petrification so you could use one to beat up a basilisk - very, very slowly.

Fairy dragons aren't completely useless in BG1. They are immune to petrification so you could use one to beat up a basilisk - very, very slowly.

Keep it away from the greater basilisks though. They tend to bite when they can't stone you...
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    ... until the basilisk switched to its melee attack. Then you'd be in trouble. Fairy dragons have lousy AC, after all. Best get that mirror image up so the dragon can tank a few hits.
    Without the switch, the battle would go a lot faster than you're thinking - 1d2+4 damage per hit, because of the melee vs. ranged bonus.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    That ghoul in Mutamin's Garden. Everybody always talks about how he can just kill all the basilisks in that zone, but I always find the basilisks kill him before he can finish.

Some people seem to find that basilisks do no damage, only try to petrify, and I don't know why my experience is different.
    Yeah, I've found Korax can't usually do it alone. You need at least one protected party member to support him. If Korax starts taking damage, you have him retreat and rely on the party member's attacks to finish that basilisk. Attacking basilisks with light melee is an AI-dependent gamble, and mods (notably SCS) can alter that. In my current run (with SCS), I sent Rasaad in wolf form with PfP after the warehouse basilisk; he took about 70 total damage, and had to retreat and be healed partway through. In hindsight, I should have used plate-armored Jaheira or boosted Rasaad's defenses with a potion.

Note that greater basilisks are a lot more dangerous in melee than lesser basilisks; 3.5 attacks at THAC0 10 instead of 1 attack at THAC0 14, and they can do quite a bit of per-hit damage.
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    Do you have any mods Chronicler? In vanilla BG/TotSV and BGEE I've never had any problems with Korax getting killed by the basilisks. The only problem is that he has usually turned on you before finding every basilisk on the map so you still need protection from perttification or animate dead or something to safely clear the map.
    Nope, no mods.

Though helpful tip. Korax only turns on you if you're near him. If you keep a safe distance, the taste of your flesh won't be quite so tempting.
    Chronicler wrote: »
    Nope, no mods.

Though helpful tip. Korax only turns on you if you're near him. If you keep a safe distance, the taste of your flesh won't be quite so tempting.

I've always wondered if you could heal Korax with the cause wounds spells. Anybody ever try that?
    I don't think undead works that way in Baldur's Gate.

It's more of a Final Fantasy thing for undead to be harmed by heal spells, and sometimes healed by harm spells.

I'm not 100% sure I've ever tested it though. I think at some point I was looking into any potential benefits for the Iron Thorn, back when its description said it turned you into a zombie, rather than merely giving you the appearance of a zombie.

That ring really seems like there should be some way to use it towards your benefit, but no go.
    Nope, no mods.

I've always wondered if you could heal Korax with the cause wounds spells. Anybody ever try that?

I'm pretty sure you can cure him with a regular Cure Light Wounds spell.
    Nope, no mods.

That is so wrong!
    Nope, no mods.

That is so wrong!

Consider this. "positive" spells bypass spell resistance. So if healing spells hurt undead, you could simply cast "Heal" on any lich, and rather than restoring them to full HP, it would slay them entirely, and none of their protections would stop it because healing bypasses all that.
    Nope, no mods.

That is so wrong!

Consider this. "positive" spells bypass spell resistance. So if healing spells hurt undead, you could simply cast "Heal" on any lich, and rather than restoring them to full HP, it would slay them entirely, and none of their protections would stop it because healing bypasses all that.

And that's a 'bad' thing???
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited September 2019
    I agree, Korax can be killed quite easily by the greater basilisks if and when they choose to bite.

Never tried by I expect the cause wounds spell should restore his hit points, if he’s considered undead.

Also never tried using Heal to reduce an undead’s HP in BG1, but I used it a lot in NWN and it reduced them to 1 HP, can’t remember if MR was involved though.

I think familiars can be quite useful in combat at low levels, especially if buffed by magic. My ferret managed to kill Frennedan in Irenicus’ dungeon. I was rather proud of him.
    Dharius wrote: »
    Never tried by I expect the cause wounds spell should restore his hit points, if he’s considered undead.
    This is not impelemented in the BG series. Cure heals, cause damages, regardless of type.
    Dharius wrote: »
    I think familiars can be quite useful in combat at low levels, especially if buffed by magic. My ferret managed to kill Frennedan in Irenicus’ dungeon. I was rather proud of him.
    That... until the latest patch, Frennedan was unarmed, and used the standard player-type punch attack. That means he did small amounts of nonlethal damage, and was treated as not having a melee weapon for the purposes of taking melee hits - +4 to hit and damage on attacks against him. It would be a very different fight now.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited September 2019
    Nah, wWhether his attacks were non lethal or not I killed him recently with my ferret (a few days ago) He had help though :)
  • RigelRigel Member Posts: 251
    My necromancer has a rabbit ... I wish it was some kind of zombie rabbit but no it is a nice (to be honest not-so-nice) bunny. Not very useful - it runs fast, but I have never used it to find Traps for example.
    I would be curious to know if someone has really a use for it.
    I wish I could unfind it ... will have to wait for SoA I guess...
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Does your necro's rabbit have feet like dragons?
    I need to check on the picture.
    I have found someone who is happy to have a rabbit as a familiar ...
    https://rpgrabbit.wordpress.com/tag/baldurs-gate/

• StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,350
    Rigel wrote: »
    My necromancer has a rabbit ... I wish it was some kind of zombie rabbit but no it is a nice (to be honest not-so-nice) bunny. Not very useful - it runs fast, but I have never used it to find Traps for example.
    I would be curious to know if someone has really a use for it.
    I wish I could unfind it ... will have to wait for SoA I guess...
    Here is your necro rabbit:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg
    Making fresh corpses for its master
    @StummvonBordwehr Haw haw haw amazing !
    This is it, now thanks to you I love my rabbit. I need to have him kill some monster, perhaps after a Ghoul Touch he will give the killing blow.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Rigel wrote: »
    @StummvonBordwehr Haw haw haw amazing !
    This is it, now thanks to you I love my rabbit. I need to have him kill some monster, perhaps after a Ghoul Touch he will give the killing blow.

In 3rd Edition, you can actually cast Touch spells and opt to have it also apply to your familiar, allowing them to deliver the touch spell for you. NWN1 does not have this functionality, but I believe NWN2 does, so providing a Rabbit is one of the familiars (can't remember if it is), you could indeed have your bunny delivering Ghoul Touch and Vampiric Touch spells.